Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bedding the action

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to glass and pillar bed a rifles action?
    i got an ase ultra northstar stainless steel mod for the tikka and i just might get the bedding done when the barrel's being threaded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

declan1980 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to glass and pillar bed a rifles action?
    i got an ase ultra northstar stainless steel mod for the tikka and i just might get the bedding done when the barrel's being threaded

~€250 Depends on how hard it is to bed, Tikka being plastic do not adhere well to glass bed jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

~€250 Depends on how hard it is to bed, Tikka being plastic do not adhere well to glass bed jobs
    is it worth my while glass bedding then?
    should i just do the pillar bedding?

is it worth my while glass bedding then?
    should i just do the pillar bedding?

Pillars could really improve your accuracy.

I have a semi Pillar job done on my VTR (patent pending :) )

The glass bed job works best on Timber or high end Polymer stocks that it can adhere well to.

Injection molded stocks are too smooth.
    If you get it threaded it will be out of the stock and you can have a good look and discuss with your rifle builder

Pillars could really improve your accuracy.

I have a semi Pillar job done on my VTR (patent pending :) )

The glass bed job works best on Timber or high end Polymer stocks that it can adhere well to.

Injection molded stocks are too smooth.
    If you get it threaded it will be out of the stock and you can have a good look and discuss with your rifle builder

i'll ring fergal white tomorrow about the threading job, and i'll see what he says about the bedding. i'm sure he'll have done work on the same type of rifle before

i'll ring fergal white tomorrow about the threading job, and i'll see what he says about the bedding. i'm sure he'll have done work on the same type of rifle before

He has to be sure, Tikkas are very common.
    Still i'm guessing he will say same.

This is a DIY pillar Job :D
    125626.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I can´t say what the cost would be your´ll have to phone round yourself.

But the Sako synthetic stocks will take a pillar and bedding job well so do listen to what other´s are telling you. The Tikka stock is made by Sako as well (i think :rolleyes:)

i spoke to fergal white yesterday, and he said glass bedding the factory tikka stock mightn't work too well, and also that they're a pretty solid stock anyway so it might not be necessary. he's gonna have a look when he threads the barrel.

i spoke to fergal white yesterday, and he said glass bedding the factory tikka stock mightn't work too well, and also that they're a pretty solid stock anyway so it might not be necessary. he's gonna have a look when he threads the barrel.

He is straight with people, no point shelling out money if you will not be satisfied with the job.
    My fear would be that the bed could come away from the stock in time as the polymer used by tikka is very smooth and glass likes a nice surface to grip, thats why timber works so well as it is porous.

Keep us posted of the results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

My Howa 1500 .22/250 is a tack driver with 55gr bullets, on a good day I can make 1 raggedy hole with 3 shots at 100 metres. But when I use the 60gr bullets NPWS now require for deer, I get 4" groups at 100 metres:eek::eek::eek::eek:. After much messing around, I got this down to 1" groups by wedging some business cards under the barrel where it comes out of the front of the stock. So it looks like I need to bed that area. I have the right epoxy, release agent etc. Any advice would very welcome before I go to work with the dremel....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I Googled bedding synthetic stocks last night, some take to it and some don't apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could try drilling holes at shallow angles in the area where you are using the bedding compound to allow the compound to mechanically lock into the stock.

Advertisement