Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever bully somebody?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Yep. Used to always bully this camp lad in school and use him as a walking gay punch line.

Turns out I'm one that liked man on man action.

Oh well, anger manifests itself in strange ways I guess.

If I ever see him again I'll apologise.

You might get stuck in ;)

I tried to flush a lads head down the toilet once and was such a little fcukin prick when I was young but I am not ashamed of it, I play gaa with the lad in question. After a few other incidents the school principle called my da and after the beating I got I can safely say I hadn't done anything like that since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There's probably a lot of people that would've said they haven't and wouldn't, but a lot of people can do it without realising. I'd be fairly sure that there's many that would post up here saying they never have, but probably actually have done.

I never have done on purpose anyway. i always see things from another persons perspective and so I think it'd be hard for me to do it without realising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Never bullied anyone although was bullied for a good portion of my time in secondary school. I'll be honest, I never forgave them and still resent them for it. They really sent me off track in life by a fair bit and wrecked my self esteem. Ohh well, shan't hold it against the bullies in this thread. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Is it ever 'OK' to bully someone?

Say if they are an arsehole an have an attitude problem that can't be dealt with in a normal way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Not in my life, i was bullied by two lads for the 2 full years completely undermining me at every opportunity, it destroyed my confidence which ive only recently got back.

I totally cant understand why people would bully, can a bully on this better inform me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

There were a couple of incidents in school where I probably went a bit too far with jokes, or was a bit too blunt with certain people. I was not involved in anything that was prolonged, but I was definitely mean to some people on certain occasions. At the time you don't really think that it's bullying, but looking back it probably was. I was well able to hold my own, and sometimes took it too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Never have. Never would.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Definitely not, I was on the receiving end though, for being foreign, and it was not easy. Even got rocks chucked at me once, got a bloody head out of it, all because I was a 'paki' (I'm Greek).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I was bullied when I was about 15 or 16 by girls that used to ring my house and shout abuse or sing hymns randomly and also shout my name is schools. Years later I had a student job in a pharmacy and one of the girls doing it used to come in a lot for meds for depression etc. She then bumped into me in a local pub and apologised, I said its grand it was years ago but she obviously felt she needed to say it.

On the other hand after I left school I heard that a girl was telling people I had bullied her, I never yelled her name or any of that kind of stuff....but I didnt want to hang around with her, neither did my group of friends but we were never really friendly with her, neither unfortunately was anyone else she was v odd...at the time I was angry at her as I felt she had falsely accused me, now Im older Im not so sure, maybe that could be classed as bullying I mean we were always as far as I remember civil to her but probs in a way that made it clear we didnt want her in the gang as such, on the other hand I think if I had kinda lingered on the edge of another group they wouldnt have let me hang out with them, basically not sure if I was a bully!

Andy!! wrote: »
    Definitely not, I was on the receiving end though, for being foreign, and it was not easy. Even got rocks chucked at me once, got a bloody head out of it, all because I was a 'paki' (I'm Greek).

Γειά σου:D

• Advertisement

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Is it ever 'OK' to bully someone?

Say if they are an arsehole an have an attitude problem that can't be dealt with in a normal way?

I take it you are not an adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

I did when i was in primary school cause i thought it was cool. If the guy still had any resentment for me he could kill me, he's f*ckin huge!! I was young and a fool trying to impress the wrong people. I apologised and he forgave me and every now and again we catch up. From my experience as being an absolutely c*nt, I now don't judge people by their looks and appearance and i make an effort to stand up and defend the "little" guy nowadays.

As the saying goes, "what goes around, comes around" couldn't be more fitting to myself. I got awful abuse during my secondary school years but i'm now in college and work, planning a future while most of those idiots are still longing to be back in secondary school cause they now realise how ****ty and useless their lives are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

yeuch no ,
    jesus , bullys past present or future are the worst vermin on the planet.
    only weak pathetic losers bully people ,
    and they usually end up has ass clenchingly ugly in later years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Ye I was a bully, not anymore obviously but when I was in Primary school I basically ran the place like Nelson from The Simpsons.

I suppose the only reason that I can think of was for the God Complex reason etc... + it was great fun ( for me anyway )

wouldn't change it if I could go back in time.
    Would have done it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

Gator's bitches better be using jimmies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Nah, I was always more the bullyable type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No I didn't.

But like - I assume - a lot of others I probably didn't intervene on occasion when somebody else was being bullied because you didn't want the grief.

I don't mean friends or family as obviously you would stick up for them no matter what the consequence was but I mean just people in youir social vicinity.

There was one lad that was bullied in my class and I regret not trying to help, as did others I realise now from talking to people. One or two of the incidents were beyond vile and I occasionaly think about them to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

alphabeat wrote: »
    yeuch no ,
    jesus , bullys past present or future are the worst vermin on the planet.
    only weak pathetic losers bully people ,
    and they usually end up has ass clenchingly ugly in later years.

The one common factor among bullies in my experience is they are thick as ****.

I imagine this is why bullies rise to prominence in educational environments as it's born of frustration and anger. Hard when you are a kid to accept limitations.

The majority of people i met in later life that i would class as bullies are general those who wish they are smarter than they actually are and they normally seem to try and target people who are actually pretty smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When I was in school a few of us were slagging another friend, making "mong" (so wrong I know) noises at him etc. just to wind him up when a teacher caught us and made us write a page long apology to him for bullying him that had to be signed by our parents despite the "victim's" plea for leniency. That, I think, is the only time I had any connection to bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

No, I haven't bullied anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Red Hand wrote: »
    No, I haven't bullied anyone.
    Well bully for you.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Until you've uttered the immortal words '' You snivelling little toad '' none of you can appreciate the buzz of being your posh school equivalent of Flashman.
    If you went to CBS then you would be the equivalent of Bully Bates or Basher Briggs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Is putting a plastic bag like a jimmy hat atop one's head who turned out to be asthmatic really 'bullying'?!!

If so uhh.. guilty by association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of bullying.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

When I was in school a few of us were slagging another friend, making "mong" (so wrong I know) noises at him etc.

Downs with that sort of thing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

On the Gordon Ramsey video, he does cross the line there. It annoys me that that rubbish is shown on TV as somewhat normal and acceptable behaviour from so called 'professionals'. I don't believe that it 'makes good tv'.

There's a difference between garnering respect in a "I'll do what needs to be done for the gaffer" and "I'm scared witless of making a mistake and losing my job".

It's that awareness of the fear of losing a job that he exploits. Knowing that retaliation is highly unlikely. He wouldn't treat someone like that in an everyday situation and there lies the cowardice of a bully. They choose the battles they can win.

"Oh but he has high standards and expects high standards". It's not a field of combat or brain surgery :rolleyes: It's food FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i agree, he's a disgusting individual and its a disgrace thats he's been lauded as some kind of superstar...he sets a bad example for young people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

He wouldn't treat someone like that in an everyday situation and there lies the cowardice of a bully. They choose the battles they can win.
    I watched a show of his once where he was learning how to cook authentic Indian food in India. He had perfect manners. Clearly he chooses when to unleash his inner monster - always on the weaker, more vulnerable people. That's the definition of a bully right there.

Forgot to answer the OP, I don't think I've ever bullied anyone. I went through a short stage of being physically aggressive when I was a kid but that was because I was being beaten at home myself and just thought it was normal to lash out at others. I never started a fight with anyone and I stopped once I realised it was a bad thing to do (mad that it took me a while to realise this), plus I was aggressive with everyone (i.e. no particular people) though obviously the people who spent more time with me would have been more likely to be on the receiving end. Does that count as bullying? :( I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No, I grew up being bullied in school - it made my school days a daily nightmare.

I wrote a thread on it one time.

Long story short - many years after leaving school - and grown!, I met my tormentor while I was working a door in the city center.

I'll make no claims to being a hard man, I got really nervous but I dug in deep and refused him entry to the club.

Like the aggressive little cunt is was in school, he hadn't changed a bit - so I claimed him on the pavement, actually I pulled him away from the door and asked him if he still fancied some!.

Cowardly little bastard bottled it of course.

The lads on the door asked me what was up, but all I told them was it was just a little cunt from my past.

I didn't beat him up, in hindsight I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

There's probably a lot of people that would've said they haven't and wouldn't, but a lot of people can do it without realising. I'd be fairly sure that there's many that would post up here saying they never have, but probably actually have done.

I never have done on purpose anyway. i always see things from another persons perspective and so I think it'd be hard for me to do it without realising.

I agree I have never knowingly bullied somebody but I have always been a bit mouthy and quick to fly off the handle so even if I think im not bullying maybe somebody else would see it as bullying. If I saw somebody else being bullied I would defend them regardless of the consequences so being mouthy help in that instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

I did,but it wasnt serious or anything and it ended up with them bullying me so it all evened out.

Advertisement