Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to doo sales

Options
  • 27-08-2010 6:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I own a satellite installation business. I am looking to get a door to door sales strategy going. My accountant tells me that I can not hire in staff on commission only short term contracts. Does anyone know of a company that provides people to do door to door or if anyone is self employed and is looking for door to door selling please reply. I have Sky contracts and also do free to air systems and cctv so there is plenty of sales oppertunity for someone with the right skills.

Thanks,
    Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gutterman

Door to Door is a real skill.
    I would love to be good at it but I think you really have to go and do it to get any good at it.
    I to have a small company that would benefit from doot to door, but there are so many out there knocking on doors. people are browned off.
    I wish you luck and will wathc this space.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BigBlack2010

You don't have to hire someone in the sense of paying them a wage

In simple terms you can appoint your own agents and pay them a commission for each sale they get. A legal agreement would need to be in place just to set out expectations on both sides and how your commission is paid.

There are numerous companies out there who will perform field sales functions for businesses however they tend to be focus on larger business and are expensive

It might be worth considering looking at utility brokers, they generally sell electricity/gas/phones etc for various companies usually the highest payers

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

...My accountant tells me that I can not hire in staff on commission only short term contracts...

Might be worth asking a solicitor about that or even a phone call to http://www.deti.ie/ could get you a definite answer. I'm not sure of the legals but I spoke to an Airtricity rep recently and he told me that he's paid commission only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

Hi Ian,

Don't know if this will be any help to you but was behind a van yesterday which said they supply temp sales people. They were called contractpeople.com

Have never dealt with the company before so dont jump into anything, but i imagine that this sort of company would be the type which you would be looking for.

I wouldn't be inclined to hire people on a comission only basis, At least provide a basic min wage. I think your temps would become extremely disheartened, and you would have an extremely high staff turnover.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Would you not consider putting fliers out around the places where you want to target? It would be a lot cheaper than employing people. You may do well now in this recession period as a lot of people might wish to move away from sky and opt for free to air systems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I don't know the law on it. But I don't there is a problem having people work for commission only. Though they may need to operate as sole traders.

I've done door to door sales - it's very tough. Depending on what it is you're selling - you could knock on several hundred doors before you get a sale.

I wouldn't like to do D2D for satellite installations - unless there's some really great offer. Like when Panda (the bin company) started - they had great commissions and the offer was really good.

Flyers - you can cover a lot more ground. But you need someone honest to put them out. Sometimes people will just dump them. I think there's a least one company that does flyers. There's also local free sheets who'll do inserts and they also do advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

Hi,
    I own a satellite installation business. I am looking to get a door to door sales strategy going. My accountant tells me that I can not hire in staff on commission only short term contracts. Does anyone know of a company that provides people to do door to door or if anyone is self employed and is looking for door to door selling please reply. I have Sky contracts and also do free to air systems and cctv so there is plenty of sales oppertunity for someone with the right skills.

Thanks,
    Ian

where are you at?

Advertisement