Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facial Piercings and Work

Options
  • 27-08-2010 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey all, i have a small diamond Dermal implant under my eye and a smaller diamond ''madonna'' piercing at my mouth. At my initial interview, there was no mention about work place rules regarding piercings, yet now im asked to cover them up, i did so yesterday and had a few comments as to what happened to my face, whereas when i dont have them covered, people literally dont notice them!

I dont work with food, so im wondering what are the actual rules if any with regard to them? Taking them out is not an option, i got them for a reason, and they are staying put, and if i have to keep covering them, what the best method as plasters just peel off!

Cheers for any info..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

well whats yer job? Certain jobs never let facial piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

well whats yer job? Certain jobs never let facial piercings.

I work in a retail based area, not clothes and not food, i don't really want to say on here. I've tried googling it and im getting nowhere fast, they dont mind the piercings, they just want me to cover them/take them out at work, but when there covered by plaster for example, i get more people asking me what happened to my face, whereas when im uncovered, i get no comment at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

You get no comment because it's "norm" to see facial piercings. Still they are employing you, gotta go by their rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SqueakyBeast

Because retail is just the worst, most fascist, soul-destroying sector of employment on the planet. I worked retail for 7 years and I would never, ever go back. They want tattoos, piercings, unusual hair colours and basically any sign that you're an individual and not a robot hidden away. Piercings and tattoos, unfortunately, are still seen as being "low class" despite the fact that they are pretty much mainstream at this stage of the game. The employers really should have informed you at interview stage that you needed to cover/remove the piercings. That's not cool at all. They hired you like that, they should be keeping you like that. What I would recommend is getting some bioplast jewellery - that way you can keep your piercings open but they're transparent so your employers can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Yep, thought as much. In my initial interview, there was no mention of the piercings or of covering them, which is why im sticking to guns on this, as i said also they are dermal implants so no chance of taking them out so its off to buy plasters i go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement