Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump in my throat ! ( little one is starting REAL school )

Options
  • 27-08-2010 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

So , on Tuesday my little one starts REAL school

Seeing the uniform laid out ( getting labels on it ) , and all had brought a bit of a lump to my throat .

I imagine that some of her lovely innocence will be lost almost instantly when she hits the school yard ....... how selfish is that eh :)

Ohhhh well

HERES TO ALL THE KIDS STARTING SCHOOL IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO , enjoy the experience , and GOOD LUCK.

( Bet I am not the only parent feeling that way )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

My daughter is starting on Monday - I've taken the day off to bring her there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

SanoVitae wrote: »
    My daughter is starting on Monday - I've taken the day off to bring her there! :)

Good luck to her ( and YOU )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My "baby" is starting secondary school on Monday and his brother is going into Junior Cert, we're finished with primary school and the scary thing is that second level is shorter than primary.

My younger lad tried on his uniform last night and mastered doing his tie. He looked a lot more grown up but yet still looked young compared to the older lads in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My eldest started secondary yesterday, it's strange him not being in the blue jumper of the primary school and yes while other times he looks gorwn up he looks like such a kid in the uniform compared to all the teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

My eldest one is really excited about going back to school cause he'll be a "SENIOR" infant. I see him sleep at night and I still see my "baby" cuddling up his doggie with his little pudgy hands.

No, I don't have a lump in my throat is the d@mn pollution this time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Have one starting J.I and one starting pre school.

No lumps in the throat here.

The one starting J.I will fly through no bother, the one starting pre school has his own assistant, so no worries no tears just plenty of smiles and laughter.

Tears might spring to my eyes with pride, but thats as far as it will go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-280808-7m15s-mooney.mp3

Have a listen to this. I dare you to not have a sniffle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Congrats Dave88 it is a special time for any parent.

My little one is going into her second yr of 'real school'. I will always remember the first yr though. She was such a little profesional marching in with all her new gear, it was great. Myself and the other 'first timers' / parents were loaded up with cameras.

What made me chuckle was the reaction of some of the older students: They came out at one stage to a crowd of parents with cameras and vid cams and thought that the papparazi / media had descended on the school;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my daughter started primary school last year. heartbreaking stuff altogether!

i was sobbing hysterically by the time i got to the car because she looked like a lost puppy when i was leaving her (god, i'm welling up thinking about it!) and when i went to pick her up, she bloody well skipped out of the class! i was a wreck all day and the little fart was having a ball!

best of luck op and all you parents that have kids starting primary/secondary :)

Thing is as most children are used to going to playschool/montessori or childcare starting school isn't the big ordeal for them as it was years ago. The parents are the ones who may feel more anxious over the whole thing.

The classrooms are a lot more child friendly with toys etc to amuse them.

What sometimes happens is a child can start school and are happy going in and enjoy it but after a few days they've had enough ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

When my little boy started primary I remember looking at the older kids in the school and thinking - they'll run over him in the school yard. I'd no tears I was just happy that my child was confident enough to leave me - such a great parent I am!!!

However, that same little boy is now starting secondary school and I have a lump in my throat, tears close to the eye - am I a good parent - did I teach him how to say No, did I really tell him everything he should know!!!!!

I have bought the size 10 shoes now and remember that's the same size shoe he had starting primary!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

deelite wrote: »
    When my little boy started primary I remember looking at the older kids in the school and thinking - they'll run over him in the school yard. I'd no tears I was just happy that my child was confident enough to leave me - such a great parent I am!!!

However, that same little boy is now starting secondary school and I have a lump in my throat, tears close to the eye - am I a good parent - did I teach him how to say No, did I really tell him everything he should know!!!!!

I have bought the size 10 shoes now and remember that's the same size shoe he had starting primary!!!

Glad to see I am not the only one feeling like this about my son starting secondary school. He is starting next week and treating it like no big deal where as I am stressing out, (quietly dont want to put my fears on to him!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The children are actually better than the parents!

I remember in one of my first years of teaching a mother hovering over the child saying "now you won't cry, will you, you won't be upset when I'm gone, I'll be back at 12, I know it's a long time, but you have to do it and I'll be at home sad because you are not with me!" I could have choked her :D When she then we finally left (45 mins after all the other parents and not a tear from the little chap,)she took herself to the outside window and stood there for another 30 mins tapping ,waving,sobbing. I'm afraid I lost patience at that stage and pulled the blinds down ;)

It's certainly a big milestone, for the sake of your child try to put on a brave face(not easy,)schools really are much more child-friendly places these days, thank heavens.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im glad Im not the only one feeling like this.
    My eldest is starting secondary on Wednesday and Im actually worse with her starting secondary than I was when she started primary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

good luck to one and all, mammies and daddies be brave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

Well i'm just back from the first school drop off of the year. My eldest (going into 5th class) had disappeared with his friends before I even managed to get my youngest lad(going into Senior Infants) out of the car. :D While walking up to my youngest boys' line i was told, quiet louldy "I can take it from here now ma, thanks, you go on home to the baby." (who was actually out in the car with her granddad):D. Now i'm at home and the baby is asleep and the house feels fierce empty. Thank god for house work and collage starting up again in 2 weeks, otherwise i'm sure i'd be a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Wednesday is D day.

I don't want to let her go!!!!!!

Can she not stay at home and be my little bunny forever?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Davidth88 wrote: »
    So , on Tuesday my little one starts REAL school

Seeing the uniform laid out ( getting labels on it ) , and all had brought a bit of a lump to my throat. I imagine that some of her lovely innocence will be lost almost instantly when she hits the school yard ....... how selfish is that eh :)

Ohhhh well

HERES TO ALL THE KIDS STARTING SCHOOL IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO , enjoy the experience , and GOOD LUCK.

( Bet I am not the only parent feeling that way )

But why the lump in the Throat? why all the worry, and why pass on these feelings to little one? OK, I can say this because I don't have a little one in school, but I do have friends in Switzerland, and I remember well when their little ones first went to school it was looked upon as an exciting adventure, (by parents & kids alike) > the kids picked up the excitement & positive vibes from Mum & Dad. So maybe we put too much negativity on school (crying & angst by parents), which is picked up by the little ones, which in turn makes some of them uneasy? some for a day, some for years . . . .

Just a (serious) thought by someone who hasn't been there with kids, yet :)

LordSutch wrote: »
    But why the lump in the Throat? why all the worry, and why pass on these feelings to little one? OK, I can say this because I don't have a little one in school, but I do have friends in Switzerland, and I remember well when their little ones first went to school it was looked upon as an exciting adventure, (by parents & kids alike) > the kids picked up the excitement & positive vibes from Mum & Dad. So maybe we put too much negativity on school (crying & angst by parents), which is picked up by the little ones, which in turn makes some of them uneasy? some for a day, some for years . . . .

Any parent that I know who had a child starting school have made it into a positive event but at the same time a parent can still worry about how their child will get on in school, will their teacher be kind, will they make friends, will their child be bullied which is common enough.

It's one of life's milestones in a child's life and marks moving on from one phase to another and you just hope your child has a positive experience.

LordSutch wrote: »

If you read my post carefully you will see the lump in the throat is purely selfish stuff ... I know that as soon as she hits that school yard the innocent little girl will start to disappear , which is the natural order of things.

Of course this is a great milestone ( which was today by the way ) .

She never knew this was bringing a lump to my throat , indeed it was all a great adventure which we help bring excitement to ( I hope )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

weiland79 wrote: »
    Wednesday is D day.

I don't want to let her go!!!!!!

Can she not stay at home and be my little bunny forever?:(

Yes, you can choose to homeschool her, but while there are upsides to homeschooling it takes a lot of work and comittement but there is a support network of parents who homeschool and who arrange school dates and trips for their kids.

http://www.henireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I have just arrived home after bringing my only daughter to her first day of school. She is the baby we were told we would probably never be able to concieve...so it is a very very proud day for us :D

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I have just arrived home after bringing my only daughter to her first day of school. She is the baby we were told we would probably never be able to concieve...so it is a very very proud day for us :D

NICE ONE !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My fella had no problems at all, met all his buddies from pre-school, my 3 year old broke my heart, he wanted to stay and cried non stop until 10.10. poor pet:(, at least he starts pre school on monday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I remember my daughter starting junior infants
    They had an introduction afternoon with the teacher in June just before the hols and I remember it as clear as yesterday when I brought her in she turned around and said "you can go back to work now Mammy I'll be fine" :D
    Come September she was DYING to go to school I was the one who cried (after I got back to the car when i dropped her off)

She started 4th class yesterday... bloody hell only 3 more years of primary where has the time gone???? :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well Lil Ms Hellrazer had a freaker yesterday after her first day in secondary school.

She supposedly ended up with none of her friends in her class,ended up in a certain numbered class out of 8 and thought she was in one of the lower ranked class.

So queue parents welcoming meeting last night and me making an eejit of myself.

Yesterday was made up of them being in their "Tutor" class for the whole day basically meaning that theres a core group of 30 students that she`ll share 4 subjects with.The rest of the 8 subjects are split between the other 7 first year classes depending on the timetable and the subjects they pick so she WILL end up with her friends in certain subjects.
    As for the ranking--the school doesnt rank students in the first year classes and the breakdown was 100% random-it just happens that none of her friends ended up in her tutor group.

So just to let you all know dont panic (like me and Mrs Hellrazer) when they come home giving out that her best friend that she spent the summer with isnt in her class.It will take time to adjust to Secondary and the changing of classes every 40 minutes.

Panic averted in our household-well at least for the minute!!!!!!!

My young lad in first year is coming home wrecked and having a nap. I think he's finding it a bit strange and most of the teachers including the ones who are really nice are being extremely strict laying down a marker to put the fear of god into them :D

There's 1250 pupils in the school and he said everywhere you look there's masses of pupils. The school is huge so he's gotten lost a couple of times.

I spotted a couple of first years who nearly lost their balance and fall over under the weight of their school bags.

Advertisement