Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perforated pipe for retaining wall drainage

Options
  • 27-08-2010 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I'll be backfilling a small retaining wall this weekend. I've been reading up about drainage for retaining walls and will be runnign a series of perforated pipes to assist this.

With the pipes - (ok, dumb question alert) - can you buy them perforated or do you have to drill holes in them yourself? If so how many and how often?

Don't have up to date picture but basically wall that runs along bottom of garden (you can just see the foundations). Wall is three bricks high (about 18inches I think)
    40457_428679248404_625123404_4794387_7522530_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

The tubing you need already comes perferated,I've a good few meters spare if your anyway near N Dub....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Get a 2mm drill bit and drill holes every 5mm apart:D .................. Just kidding, you can buy flexible perforated drainage pipe in any builders providers/farm supplies yard. They come in 2", 3" and 4" diameters I think. You then put some drainage chips/pea gravel around them to aid drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

That's hardly a retaining wall and any build up of pressure is unlikely and hardly going to impact wall. Soil is more likely. I assume the wall will be the equivalent of 300 mm thick and not 1 brick wide?

Complete waste of time putting a land drain (slotted pipe, available in various sizes) behind such a small wall. Simply put coarse rubble along base and if you feel happier (not required) drill a weep hole or omit part of mortar from joint every 2 metres in base course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

That's hardly a retaining wall and any build up of pressure is unlikely and hardly going to impact wall. Soil is more likely. I assume the wall will be the equivalent of 300 mm thick and not 1 brick wide?

Complete waste of time putting a land drain (slotted pipe, available in various sizes) behind such a small wall. Simply put coarse rubble along base and if you feel happier (not required) drill a weep hole or omit part of mortar from joint every 2 metres in base course.

I'd agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Um, worried now as yes, the wall is one brick wide.

Was going to back fill with coarse rubble but then started reading about drainage and the pipes and wondering if I should that instead.

I've left gaps in the mortar joins for weep holes.

The blocks are "solid" blocks and I was told that they'd be sufficiently strong to retain the earth by the guys in roadstone.

Do you think this isn't the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

18 inchs High... Don't see a problem... But I'd Use Red Brick instead or are you going to face the concrete Blocks... Boring Dull Grey !!

Are you building a Shed next to the Bed?? will the damp proof course be covered when you fill the Bed!

Do you intend to plaster the walls of the shed (If it is a Shed?)

jezko wrote: »
    18 inchs High... Don't see a problem... But I'd Use Red Brick instead or are you going to face the concrete Blocks... Boring Dull Grey !!

Are you building a Shed next to the Bed?? will the damp proof course be covered when you fill the Bed!

Do you intend to plaster the walls of the shed (If it is a Shed?)

They're not actually a concrete block though I'm sure that's hard to see from the photo! They're a solid block from hallmark (roadstone)

Nickle%20Blend.jpg

The shed is already up. It's the large brown object behind the bricks. ;)

I don't need to plaster the walls of the shed, or of the walls as the blocks are a decorative block.

Would like to plaster the walls of the garden but that's a job for next year.

They're not actually a concrete block though I'm sure that's hard to see from the photo! They're a solid block from hallmark (roadstone)

Nickle%20Blend.jpg

The shed is already up. It's the large brown object behind the bricks. ;)

I don't need to plaster the walls of the shed, or of the walls as the blocks are a decorative block.

Would like to plaster the walls of the garden but that's a job for next year.

I was thinking you were also building a Shed on the "left" of your photo (Seems like it's in your Neighbours garden now thou ... Hard to tell.. Too many walls and too much Grey!! :-(

I think I would Plaster those walls now, can be messy later and you don't want Lime/cement getting on plants that won't like it !!!

Are the Blocks Sandstone? Or conditioned/decorative Concrete Block?

I was thinking you were also building a Shed on the "left" of your photo (Seems like it's in your Neighbours garden now thou ... Hard to tell.. Too many walls and too much Grey!! :-(

I think I would Plaster those walls now, can be messy later and you don't want Lime/cement getting on plants that won't like it !!!

Are the Blocks Sandstone? Or conditioned/decorative Concrete Block?

Yes, it is, my neighbours garden! LOL

It looks rather grim at the moment with all the concrete walls and no plants to soften it. I can't wait to plaster the walls :). The plan is to paint them a duck egg blue and as you mention, get away from the concrete and the grey.

While I'd love to get them done now, I just can't afford it. Plug there's the fact that there is still a lot to be done and a lot of detritus to be moved in order to let a plasterer have access to the walls.

I doubt the blocks are sandstone. Probably a conditioned/decorative concrete block.

Yes, it is, my neighbours garden! LOL

It looks rather grim at the moment with all the concrete walls and no plants to soften it. I can't wait to plaster the walls :). The plan is to paint them a duck egg blue and as you mention, get away from the concrete and the grey.

While I'd love to get them done now, I just can't afford it. Plug there's the fact that there is still a lot to be done and a lot of detritus to be moved in order to let a plasterer have access to the walls.

I doubt the blocks are sandstone. Probably a conditioned/decorative concrete block.

Takes time, shame we never have more time for what we enjoy...

• Advertisement

Takes time, shame we never have more time for what we enjoy...

Well, I was very naive about how much time/money it would take (particularly the time) and it's easy to get overwhelmed but I just keep working away and dividing it into bite sized chunks. I've also keep t a photo "diary" of the work so that really helps if I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

I keep reminding myself that a lot of the work is just a once off in terms of cost and effort - you only need to build the walls once, build the shed once, backfill the raised beds! (well, I know that's probably a little simplistic but it's getting me through!). And if I really need reminding of why I'm doing it, I can see a house about three doors down where all they've done is concrete over the back garden! Now that's grim! LOL

More up to date photo showing finished walls.

47940_433114213404_625123404_4899639_1143729_n.jpg

Advertisement