Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Steak in Limerick?

• 27-08-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Where can you get the best Steak in Limerick City and or County?

- My current favourite is the Fillet in Luigi Malones - Nice and thick, well done on the outside and a little rare inside, served with home cut chips, mushrooms, onions and a large Beer.

Mmmmm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Best steak in town is from O'Connell's butcher in little catherine street - cook yourself. in fact all meat is gorgeous and the best customer service in any butcher/shop i've ever been. I've been shopping there 20 years. My granny RIP said her mother used to shop in there and has always been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really like the fillet steak in Freddies Bistro, it's nice and tender.

If like EurasianBadger I was getting it from the butchers it would have to be from Garrett's (Castletroy or Fr Russell rd) MMmmmm drool.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

You took the words out of my mouth.
    Best steak is defo Freddies Bistro.
    Best Butcher for steak has to be Garrets.

to be pedantic guys, garretts is in county limerick and this is the limerick city forum..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Well the OP did say city or county... there doesnt have to be such a divide in all matters! :)

• Advertisement

mmmmmm i suppose. i love o'connells though lads. esp the cold meats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Can never get the heat required to do a proper Restaurant Steak at Home - Stupid electric Cookers.

- I think you Need Gas and a good searing heat!

Raiser wrote: »
    Can never get the heat required to do a proper Restaurant Steak at Home - Stupid electric Cookers.

BBQ

Raiser wrote: »

Thats true but if one has a good heavy pan heated well for a good length of time with no oil and a good quality thick steak left at room temperature (big mistake putting it on cold) .... its quite easy and cheaper!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The Hamptons lads. Without a doubt, the best steak in the city.

• Advertisement

Thats true but if one has a good heavy pan heated well for a good length of time with no oil and a good quality thick steak left at room temperature (big mistake putting it on cold) .... its quite easy and cheaper!

mmmm i'm drooling

Dont ya just hate it, when you get a bad steak at a restaurant :mad:

Dont ya just hate it, when you get a bad steak at a restaurant :mad:

are you saying no oil at all Limerick Lass>>

.....Oil.......easy......cheaper!
    mmmm i'm drooling

Hmmmm.

Its definitely Friday.

Ya heat the pan until its smoking... no oil.
    Then brush the steak with a little olive oil, and seasoning before putting it on the pan
    (Watch out Ramsey) :D

Ya heat the pan until its smoking... no oil.
    Then brush the steak with a little olive oil, and seasoning before putting it on the pan
    (Watch out Ramsey) :D

i don't belive in the seasoning before cooking, esp salt as it seems to dry the steak up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

i don't belive in the seasoning before cooking, esp salt as it seems to dry the steak up

I've heard of this and I've tested it. I've found that it makes no difference whatsoever to the moistness of the steak. But it does increase the flavour.

So I'm all for oil and seasoning before cooking on a dry a pan.

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    I've heard of this and I've tested it. I've found that it makes no difference whatsoever to the moistness of the steak. But it does increase the flavour.

So I'm all for oil and seasoning before cooking on a dry a pan.

how long on each side then? 2cm thick striploin

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Off topic lads & ladies, but don't wanna start a new thread for this.
    Are there any butchers in Limerick that sell Ostrich meet? Had an Ostrich burger in Dublin last year and it was the nicest meat I've ever eaten and would like to try having some at home some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

how long on each side then? 2cm thick striploin

I'm not sure on times to be honest. I do it to touch, using this old method:

steak-instruction-3-0608-lg-59159737.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Are there any butchers in Limerick that sell Ostrich meet? Had an Ostrich burger in Dublin last year and it was the nicest meat I've ever eaten and would like to try having some at home some day.

Garreths used to get in now and again. Give them a ring and check. Lovely meat.

On the steak, leave the pan get as hot as you can, then as mentioned, already, a room temp steak, seasoned and brushed with olive oil, (season with salt just before you put it on), then 1min 30 each side, then after you have turned it the first time, cut a clove of garlic in two, and rub the cut side onto the steak, then once that side is finished, remove to a warm plate, flip it and a quick rub of the garlic on the other side.

The important thing then is to make sure you leave the steak to stand for at least 5 minutes before you cut it. This gives a chance for all the juices to absorb back into the meat. You've probably seen it before where you've taken off a steak, cut it and ended up with a plate soaking in juice, not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Heat the griddle pan until extremely hot.

Season the steak and also makes small cuts along it so the cracked salt can work it's way in.

Drop on the pan to seal the moisture within the steak on both sides. Reduce the heat and cook using the finger thumb method above.

That's the way the dunbrody house do it.

This is how I do a nice medium to well-done.

sign-language.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

had a steak in the restaurant in the clarion last night. Without doubt the worst steak I have ever had. Ask for medium rare, the steak jumped off the plate and actually introduced itself, probably still had a pulse if I had checked. Seems to be the danger when asking for anything but well done

Chocalat do a beautiful steak

ronanc15 wrote: »
    had a steak in the restaurant in the clarion last night. Without doubt the worst steak I have ever had. Ask for medium rare, the steak jumped off the plate and actually introduced itself, probably still had a pulse if I had checked. Seems to be the danger when asking for anything but well done

Chocalat do a beautiful steak

the only place i've ever sent back food is chocolat, i had a spatchcock chick and it was absolutly dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Last night was the first time ive ever sent back food too, to be fair they were ok about it and knocked it off the bill cause I only took one bite! Enough to make me not want replacement though!

Cant say ive had that in chocalat, usually theyre on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Hamptons and Luigi Malones both do good steaks, now its just a toss up of which one was nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Not lying lads, the 14oz offer in Synotts is THE best steak I've had in Ireland. Thick, juicy, cooked to perfection every time I've had it. ridiculously good value too, €14.95 including all the chips you want, and a pint with it for €2.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Check out whale meat when you get to Iceland, surprisingly lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The best steak I had in a Limerick restaurant was Azur, a fillet cooked medium and it was done to perfection.

Advertisement