Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Steak in Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Check out whale meat when you get to Iceland, surprisingly lovely.

Oh I intend to if I can. One thing I won't be trying though is Hakarl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

zuroph wrote: »
    Not lying lads, the 14oz offer in Synotts is THE best steak I've had in Ireland. Thick, juicy, cooked to perfection every time I've had it. ridiculously good value too, €14.95 including all the chips you want, and a pint with it for €2.99.

Leave him go Ken - You're cutting off his air supply with that choke hold........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

has to be The Cornstore for me, best steak in there and always is top notch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not lying lads, the 14oz offer in Synotts is THE best steak I've had in Ireland. Thick, juicy, cooked to perfection every time I've had it. ridiculously good value too, €14.95 including all the chips you want, and a pint with it for €2.99.

how about the 20oz there? :)
    Cousin was in there a few weeks ago and had it...couldn't even drink a cup of tea afterwards he was so full @D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Aidric wrote: »
    The best steak I had in a Limerick restaurant was Azur, a fillet cooked medium and it was done to perfection.

+1. Agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    how about the 20oz there? :)
    Cousin was in there a few weeks ago and had it...couldn't even drink a cup of tea afterwards he was so full @D

I cant even begin to imagine how I'd eat it! the 14oz is HUGE, I've struggled with it, a 20z is just too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Medium rare fillet from Luigi Malones, so tender it melts in your mouth! Can't beat it with a big stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Theres alot of restaurants in fairness in Limerick city and county that do decent steaks... I must admit we do have good butchers in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

. I must admit we do have good butchers in Limerick

what about the farmer that produce the animal?, give us some small little bit of credit:( although I do agree with you, not much use producing prime beef if it isn't butchered and cooked properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I drive from Killaloe to Ennis to get my steaks (nope; not saying where!). 3 weeks hung. Rib Eye cut; good marbling. Very hot ridged bottom pan/griddle. As little oil as possible. Onions & garlic into the pan for a minute or so; add a little Worcestershire sauce also along with sliced button mushrooms (not washed, just wiped off with paper towels). Room temperature steaks; brushed with extra virgin olive oil to which a teeny bit of cinammon has been added. Very lightly score the meat and add mixed peppers & rock/sea salt.

Introduce the steaks to the griddle briefly both sides, max heat. 30 seconds per side; then down with the heat and give it about 90 seconds both sides - touch method also. Any blood from the bag the steaks came in/plate they sat on, gets poured on top of them as they cook.

Nice bottle of Rioja. Heat the plate. A corn-fed fried egg dropped on top of the steak.

For desert, a mixture of blueberries & redcurrants picked from the garden during season, which have been bagged & frozen. Served, still frozen in a mug, topped with a whack of Lidl's Bourbon Vanilla ice cream.

A short, strong coffee.

The kids in bed.

Mrs. equally well fed & watered.

Sod the recesssion. At least temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

alan1990 wrote: »
    has to be The Cornstore for me, best steak in there and always is top notch!

Had a lovely 10oz in the Cornstore on Sat evening, my only prob was the fact that it was served with a platefull of lettuce and dressing.....if I'd wanted steak caesar salad I'd have asked for it, nice portion of chips made up for it I suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cariglee

The best steak in Limerick has to be in Garretts butchers in the Racefield shopping complex in Raheen. You can get plain striploin, or marinated striploin in garlic (mmm - my husband's favourite) or there is also a more spicy marinade (I can't recall exactly what it's called). His fillet steak is great value and absolutely gorgeous. Everything in this butchers is beautifully presented. The meat is SO tender... just melt in the mouth!
    I travel from Ennis to Garrett's in Limerick to get my meat - none of the butchers in Ennis are a patch on Garrett's.

The customer service is second to none. They will label all of the meat for you and if you ask, they will advise re cooking times, recommended temperatures etc. I highly recommend a visit to Garretts....once you've tried his meat, you will be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Garrets is nice but is'nt exactly the cheapest. On a side note does great stuff for BBQ's, not that you'd use them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

missus badger and I are heading out tomorrow. Where is best for steak in town these days - lunchtime I think to suit badger jnr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Garrets is nice but is'nt exactly the cheapest. On a side note does great stuff for BBQ's, not that you'd use them now.
    Garrets is a bit more expensive than Dunnes or tesco but i trust his meat alot more and i don't mind paying for quality. Support local imo

Hey

I've no connection with the place but last Saturday missus badger and I had the best steak we've ever eaten in Synotts Castletroy. 14oz and beautiful. Had to wait about 30mins for it but worth every minute. We both like our meat and being honest I couldn't even finish it. At €14.99 it is some bargain. Chips, pepper sauce, mushrooms and onins, it was brill. Going there again soon. VERY soon in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hey

I've no connection with the place but last Saturday missus badger and I had the best steak we've ever eaten in Synotts Castletroy. 14oz and beautiful. Had to wait about 30mins for it but worth every minute. We both like our meat and being honest I couldn't even finish it. At €14.99 it is some bargain. Chips, pepper sauce, mushrooms and onins, it was brill. Going there again soon. VERY soon in fact.

I maybe wrong but I think the owner is on here too. I remember some boardsies talking about it and he even gave them a free drink or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Merged Badger's thread with the original Limerick steaks thread :)

cronin_j wrote: »
    I maybe wrong but I think the owner is on here too. I remember some boardsies talking about it and he even gave them a free drink or something.

if anyone wants to give us a free drink please feel free. We'll be there tomorrow. lol. Best steak I've ever had . recommend it to anyone.

is the Synotts €14.99 price still going?! I had presumed it ended long ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Here is one for ye i went into the texas STEAKout today and there was no bloody steak on their lunch menu???

is the Synotts €14.99 price still going?! I had presumed it ended long ago!

14oz 14.99 and 20oz 19.99. mmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Had a nice one in Freddies before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Aubars did a beautiful Rib Eye a few months back, then they changed the cut (to sirloin i think) and it wasnt as nice!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Aubars did a beautiful Rib Eye a few months back, then they changed the cut (to sirloin i think) and it wasnt as nice!! :(

Rib eye is where it's at, that or strip loin.
    Sirlion is very much an inferior cut to those two, I would even opt for rib eye/strip loin over fillet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No no no, fillet steak is the best, that or steak bits (yummy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

cronin_j wrote: »

A free drink I never got ;) Ken did a comp. a few months back for two steak dinners and a free bar, he also give 2 free drinks to everyone that entered the comp. I have yet to try there steak but I think today will be the day I go for it. Does anyone know what time they stop serving food at? Also is there a kids menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had the 20oz steak out in Synotts/O'Connells this evening.After all the hype in here it was a bit disappointing.Took about 30 minutes for the food to come,when it did the steak was far too overcooked for medium rare and the chips were undercooked.

Oh well,I was too hungry to complain and I ate it all.Added to the fact I didn't want to be waiting another 30 minutes for a replacement while watching the missus eat her food. :)

thats a shame, i havent tried it in a while so dont know if they changed chef or you just got unlucky or something, was always awesome when i had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

thats a shame, i havent tried it in a while so dont know if they changed chef or you just got unlucky or something, was always awesome when i had it.

Looks like it had the makings of a good meal in it alrite,tis a pity. Guess I've to wait another year now for my special birthday steak :D

Advertisement