Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn

Options
  • 27-08-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Has Autumn come early this year?
    It's not even the end of August and the leaves are falling! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Yes. Have mountain ash in my garden and leaves are already covering the lawn. The leaves started getting brown over a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Have noticed it too - Not surprising really though since there has been a few chilly nights recently with heavy dews and grass mins approaching 0C. The ironic thing is that early next week could be the warmest one of the year for parts of the country - particulary the West:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yep,leaves are falling and the Daddy Longlegs have started making an appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's the Danish Met Institute's seasonal forecast for Sep-Nov, showing temperatures just slightly above normal for northern Europe

saesondk_augokt.png
    legende_saeson_640.gif

Source: DMI (Google translation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's the Danish Met Institute's seasonal forecast for Sep-Nov, showing temperatures just slightly above normal for northern Europe

Met.no's slightly less precise but wider resolution suggests the same; well I suppose it would do, since both charts are based on the same model.:o

125710.jpg

My personal interpretation of that chart would be for frequent ridging to our variable north into Scandinavia with low pressure to the SW and south.
    An easterly dominant Autumn coming up???????????

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Daddy Longlegs have started making an appearance.
    i was going to mention it here but i thought against it.

They are absolutely everywhere. Dirty buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i was going to mention it here but i thought against it.

They are absolutely everywhere. Dirty buggers.

I hate them,stupid feckin' yokes flicking off the walls and the light! Normally it's a couple of weeks into September before i see them but the last week has seen them back with a vengance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Interesting entry in Wikipedia regarding Daddy Long Legs, or Craneflies as they're called in some places.....and we northsiders even have our own zoological dialect! :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_longlegs

Daddy longlegs (or Daddy Long Legs, Granddaddy longlegs, Daddy longleggers, etc.) may refer to:
    Arthropods:
    • Crane fly (Tipulidae) (in British and South African English), an insect
    • Harvestman (Opiliones) (in North American English and British English), an arachnid, but not a spider
    • Cellar spider (Pholcidae) (especially in Australian/New Zealand English, but also North American English and British English, and the north side of Dublin), a true spider

Interesting article on the crane fly -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7963088.stm

i am surrounded by bogland which explains my probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kleefarr wrote: »
    Has Autumn come early this year?
    It's not even the end of August and the leaves are falling! :(

I hope so. Maybe then Winter can come early too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ive noticed a lot of ear wigs around the place in the past week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

my house borders a field with masses of bushes and shrubbery,they are all absolutely covered in berry's,never saw that amount before,my nana always said a lot of berry's early is a sign of a bad winter to follow,natures way of supplying all the birds with plenty to store for the months ahead......
    my nana was always right :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

jambofc wrote: »
    my house borders a field with masses of bushes and shrubbery,they are all absolutely covered in berry's,never saw that amount before,my nana always said a lot of berry's early is a sign of a bad winter to follow,natures way of supplying all the birds with plenty to store for the months ahead......

Ditto
    Yes loads of berries on the homeplace bushes and mother said the same.not a good sign she said."Nature providing for the animals.
    I've seen this before and had a harsh winter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

jambofc wrote: »

Same with plums and apples round here . . .

Advertisement