Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inspiron 6400 PLEASE HELP

• 27-08-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Please someone help me please please please...
    I need to get into my laptop, but the 9 key in the lock box on the start up panel is lighted and my laptop won't do anything.
    I am using the old one here and it takes 200 hours to type anything...

I need to access files on the computer, and have tried the dell website but getting nothing on that.

If anyone can help please do ...

Thanks

Bella

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

When you say that the laptop won't do anything, what exactly do you mean? Does ir power up, does the screen come on, does the mouse work? Please be more specific.

Have you tried attaching an external keyboard? Is there a Fn + Numlock key combination that you can try (assuming the keyboard responds at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hiya,

the power comes on alright, and the dell logo comes up on the screen.
    The little panel beside the power button above the keyboard has a number 9 in a lock and it is lit up.
    There is a num lk button, and I have tried this with the fn key, but zilch.
    scroll lk

Thanks

Bella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

So how far does the laptop get when you power it on? Does it get to a login screen (if you have one)? If so does the mouse work? Please provide as much information as possible. We're not all psychic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the 3 lights are (from left to right) num lock caps lock and scroll lock

you say just num lock is lit up?
    is it on solid, are any of the other lights on or flashing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm guessing here but if the laptop is at the login prompt and the numlock light it on, then chances are that the password isn't working as several of the keys also serve as numbers.

Turn off the numlock light (possibly fn and the numlock button along the top row of keys). Then try it again.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks

Have tried every combination of everything at this stage, even eventually got onto a Dell rep today at a staggering cost of a million euros per second, hung up on him when he began asking me where in Ireland I lived after five minutes of conversation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will try to explain.
    Just above the keyboard, and beneath the laptop screen, there is a hinge, along this long hinge the word Dell is prevalent.
    Beneath this word there is a little bar which lights up during power up.
    It has a numeric 9 in a padlock box, an A in a padlock box an arrow in a padlock box and the symbol for wifi following.
    The first padlock is lit the whole way through the boot up process, IE the number 9.
    If anyone can help it would be great, if not I am going to bounce my laptop off wall.

Thanks

Bella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

bellapip wrote: »
    It has a numeric 9 in a padlock box, This is called the numlock

an A in a padlock box this is called the caps lock

an arrow in a padlock box this is called the scroll lock

You still haven't given us enough information. Do you even get to the login screen? The num lock turned on may not have anything to do with it, or as Kaiser has said above, you may be typing numbers when you want letters but I don't even know how far you get. Is it freezing on the Dell logo screen part?

No I am not getting to the login screen.
    The dell logo flashes across the screen and then number 9 locks on a light and the screen remains blue/grey

Bella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try booting in Safe Mode. Turn off laptop and when you turn it on again keep tapping F8 until you get options to boot in Safe Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the num lock light is perfectly normal and means nothing important if the computer isnt working

its more important if the screen shows anything at all or how far it gets before the screen goes blank

pressing F8 a few times as the computer starts might bring up the windows boot options as mordeith says might give you options for booting into windows

• Advertisement
Advertisement