Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Apple tree snapped!

Options
  • 27-08-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a young apple tree, only approx. 8" high. It has approx. 6 branchs coming out the side of it. The main trunk / branch (the one that goes straight up.. the trunk I suppose) got so heavy w apples it snapped. Now the tree is only 4" high. Will the tree now just grow outwards or will it grow up from the bottom of the tree? I was hoping it would grow into a fine tall tree and it looks a bit stumpy now w only a dozen apples on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you mean 4 foot rather than 4 inches? Presumably it snapped above the graft, if it has apples. In which case leave it, it is unlikely to put up another leader, but low apple trees are easier to pick apples off :D It will get bigger, but wide rather than tall. You would be advised to sacrifice some of the apples to relieve the load on the tree, especially while it is young. Or be prepared to prop up the heavier branches, though removing some of the immature apples would be a better approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It depends on the structure of what's left...

Firstly the break probably needs to be cut cleanly and at a slope to aviod rot setting in...

If there are any of the sidebranches an bit upward facing you could try steaking it, tie the branch upwards and create a new leader for the tree, it would need to be trained upwards for about 2-3 years..

For the first 2-3 years apples should be picked off as they grow to prevent the tree becoming overloaded.. it also helps the energy be turned onto root and top growth in the early years rather than apple production.

Advertisement