Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Meteor

Options
  • 27-08-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Worst advertising campaign i've ever seen to be honest.
    Here's another one from this morning.

"Move to Meteor, go on you know you want to"

Eh, no, no i don't. Even if you sorted out your coverage, it would be a long time before i'd even consider it again.

125639.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I moved away from Meteor recently to 3 cause of their offer. However, I still like the Meteor network cause they really shook up the market for them robbin bastárds Vodafone and o2, Free texts for life and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Best thing Meteor ever did was make O2 and Vodafone offer free txts.

That way you could have free txts and a phonecall that you could actually hear in the middle of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

yeah i remember those days... though texts would take forever to get anywhere youd be faster walking to that person in dublin than trying to call or texting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Been using meteor for years never had any problems with coverage and there plans are great I think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Can you buy a data bundle on Meteor pay as you go? i.e. 250mb for €5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Been using meteor for years never had any problems with coverage and there plans are great I think .

I switched about 4 months ago, very happy with my decision. 18 month contracts aren't for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

JustinOval wrote: »
    I switched about 4 months ago, very happy with my decision. 18 month contracts aren't for me.

Your happy with meteor or your happy you left ?
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Can you buy a data bundle on Meteor pay as you go? i.e. 250mb for €5?

You get it free when you top 20 euro along with free meteor to meteor texts .You have to text some number to opt into this plan though http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/#plans-tab

Your happy with meteor or your happy you left ?

Oh yeah, good point. I switched from Vodafone to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ive been on all networks and im most happy with meteor...their cheap calls and texts are better than any network out there...

reception wise i live in the country side and every network here has crappy enough coverage

and their meant to be bringing out 49c per day internet soon...for 50mb

thats 15.19euro for 31 days for 1550 mb allowance for the whole month...

so you can get free texts and calls + 1550 mb allowance and still money left :)

was planning to go to three for their data packages but i think ill stay with meteor and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm happy with meteor, i've been with them for the last 6 years and have never had any coverage issues with them in rural or urban areas. i'm on a plan that has 300 mins, free meteor calls and texts for €25 a month + €5 for data, and 20c calls outside my minutes.

i can't understand why anyone is with other mobile providers to be honest, particularly O2, who are still charging for voicemail (altho' i haven't checked recently)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Can anyone on the three network advise me on their coverage etc?
    I'm constantly on the road with work, and my mobile being connected to a network at all times is a real priority for me!
    Currently with O2, and bills in excess of €200 a month, think i am going to make the jump to three to avail of their unlimited plans (which includes Uk mobiles)

No point having a cheaper bill if the networks crap though, so please folks, tell me I'm making the right move!

its grand...but no one can confirm it works everywhere...all networks state they have 9X.X % of the country covered...your bound to get a black out anywhere with any of them...but i had 3 before and call coverage wise didnt see a problem :)

especially if your on the road there wont be any houses to block the reception so it should be all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obt

all networks state they have 9X.X % of the country covered
    i think this is the current %s there giving
    vod 99.6%
    o2 99.5%
    3 99.6%
    meteor 97%
    also to keep in mind is that its not % of country covered but % of population covered

For me personally my signal improved (data and calls) upon moving from Vodafone to Meteor, coverage charts mean nothing, you really need to test for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Location means everything.
    That 2.5% difference in coverage between meteor and the rest of the networks is over 100,000 people who can't get meteor coverage. It's a pretty large number, anyone that does a lot of driving will notice it.

Thinknig of moving to Meteor, or O2.

About the 50mb for 99c per day deal. You are only charged for what you use, up to 99c with a limit of 50mb, after that it is 2c per kb? Is the cost per kb inside the 50mb also 2c per kb? So that means if you use a measly 50kb you will reach the 99c roof, probably every day. If you check some sites daily on your phone you will always hit 99c so thats around 29.70 a month?

well meteor posted on FB today "celebrating 99% coverage :) concerning internet right now its 99cfor 50 mb. from their survey i ddi a week ago it seems their bringing the price down to 49c

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

well meteor posted on FB today "celebrating 99% coverage :) concerning internet right now its 99cfor 50 mb. from their survey i ddi a week ago it seems their bringing the price down to 49c

yeah it's 99% now... dunno what the number after the decimal point is though

meh the decent network coverage is up to 90%...the other 9% will be covered but it will prob have horrible coverage indoors

that counts for all networks anyway...every network has its good and bad coverage places...why cant they just join their towers together and battle on whos got better rates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

iirc Meteor use Vodafone in the areas that they don't have coverage. And 3 don't have any towers of their own at all - they purely use Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm sure that rolleyes meant something profound that I'm missing in the medium of text. Let me be more specific.

I was with Meteor until this month last year. My folks have a house in Roscommon which was outside Meteor's coverage area. When I was visiting down there my coverage switched to Vodafone with no extra charges. I haven't heard of that agreement being removed.

I spent a year with Vodafone and last week switched back to Meteor when my contract expired. I had never had a problem with Meteor - I had only switched because of the phone I wanted not being available on Meteor. I was sorry I switched within a week - Vodafone's support sucks. Whereas the odd occasion that I needed to contact Meteor I got through to an actual person promptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obt

Macros42 wrote: »
    iirc Meteor use Vodafone in the areas that they don't have coverage. And 3 don't have any towers of their own at all - they purely use Vodafone.
    meteor no longer have that contract with vodafone
    and i think 3 may be working via o2 now

meteor has been putting up masts all last year and it normally takes a year to two years until they are used for active transmission so next year there should be a jump in meteor reception but only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

obt wrote: »
    meteor no longer have that contract with vodafone
    and i think 3 may be working via o2 now

meteor has been putting up masts all last year and it normally takes a year to two years until they are used for active transmission so next year there should be a jump in meteor reception but only time will tell

Nah they still use vodafone so they do..i wish they used o2 cause the call quality of the vodafone network is pure Sh1te but i suppose tesco are now also using o2 so couldnt have 3 using the o2 network also would go on overload it would lol..
    i taught that meteor still use vodafone tough??
    now the post office have a network :rolleyes::rolleyes:think they run off vodafone not to sure

tbh when i was with vodafone i never noticed any bad call quality...does that not depend on the phone itself (quality of the speaker in the phone and its microphone) and reception really?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

JustinOval wrote: »
    For me personally my signal improved (data and calls) upon moving from Vodafone to Meteor, coverage charts mean nothing, you really need to test for yourself.
    Couldn't agree more. You've gotta try them all. Recently out of contract with O2 on my iPhone 3gs and am weighing up the options. I know the iPhones are not the best for receiving a strong signal but I'm sick of getting "Network Lost" while driving through mainly Kerry, Limerick and Cork. I'm now trying out for a week or 2 all 4 network sims on it. Meteor and Vodafone are coming up strongest. Unfortunately though Meteor don't support iPhone. Vodafone it will probably have to be then. In 3rd is 3 and last and weakest signal is O2.
    3 do seem to offer the best deal but I've lost their signal a few times in areas others have held up strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

tbh when i was with vodafone i never noticed any bad call quality...does that not depend on the phone itself (quality of the speaker in the phone and its microphone) and reception really?

It was alot worse on my older 3 skypephone could barely hear the other person i was talking to its not so bad now with my sony phone call quality on o2/tesco is much better must be just a dodgy vodafone cell in this area.its always good tough having the vodafone network as a back up since they have signal mostly everywhere i go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'm already on Three. Thier pricing is good but the fact that they do not own a 2g network is not good for my android (connection dropping etc.)

I'm not interested in the "top up by X per month and get this" deals. I might as well be on bill pay if I am going to top up by a specific amount every month.

Meteor Bill Pay lite looks good to me. €10 a month for 50 minutes and 50 texts
    plus €4.99 for 250mb. No fixed contract. The prices outside of the bundle are cheaper than most other networks too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I switched last year from o2 to meteor haven't had any problems with coverage,and i would be around the country a fair bit,o2 was just way to expensive, delighted with meteor price plans, & there free calls & texts with other meteor users is a gift.

Advertisement