Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord - PPS number and photos

Options
  • 27-08-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Is it normal for landlords to request PPS numbers and passport photos of tenants?
    My brother is in the process of renting a place.

I have never heard of a landlord making such a request before. Is that normal?

He's not sure if he should hand over his details like that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

PPS number is to be filled on the PRTB form.

As for the photos, never heard of that! Is it a multi tenant place or is he renting it by himself?

Has he asked the landlord what he wants his photo for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

#15 wrote: »
    Is it normal for landlords to request PPS numbers and passport photos of tenants?
    My brother is in the process of renting a place.

I have never heard of a landlord making such a request before. Is that normal?

He's not sure if he should hand over his details like that.

Thanks.

Pps number - yes. prtb needs this for registration of tenancy.

Passport photos - no, not normal. don't know why they would need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

It's a multi-tenant place. The landlord has requested photos of all of them.

Good to know the pps no. is legit anyway, thanks for the quick response.

You sure he wasn't looking for photo ID, ie. Passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

A multi-tenant place can get difficult for a landlord to deal with and keep track of, so I suppose it's from his own experience that he likes to remember who's who?

I guess no harm can come of having a photo though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I did once have to give a photocopy of my passport photo to say who I was. It didn't bother me as i knew the landlord through an acquaintance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Kebab

15 we do a lot of lettings where I work and references are required, but they wouldn't necessarily have to be photo ID more bank/previous landlord/employer references.

PPSN is required alright for the PRTB as previous posters mentioned.

K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I have been asked for a PPS number before. That landlord was a guard and he checked me thru pulse and for the PRTB form. I know he shouldn't have done it for his own personal use but I have nothing to hide so didn't care.

Other landlord wanted a copy of photo id but didn't ask for pps number. I did still get a letter from PRTB informing me I was registered at that address anyway. The copy of photo id was attached to lease agreement. Should I need to go talk to estate agent and it's someone new, it's a fairly quick way to check I am who I saw I am as I don't always bring id. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yawns wrote: »
    I have been asked for a PPS number before. That landlord was a guard and he checked me thru pulse and for the PRTB form. I know he shouldn't have done it for his own personal use but I have nothing to hide so didn't care.

You should make a complaint about that to the www.gardaombudsman.ie
    That's misuse of the Pulse system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

snubbleste wrote: »
    You should make a complaint about that to the www.gardaombudsman.ie
    That's misuse of the Pulse system.

Oh I knew full well it was. But I also know some people have some terrible trouble with tennants and if they could use a system like the pulse system then they could have been avoided. I had nothing to hide so I didn't mind, never been in a bit of trouble with the guards before and don't plan to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement