Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help me decide: Shank or Limbo?

• 27-08-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

How do xboxers?
    I've never played an Arcade game before, I've just stuck to the mainstream releases. I'm thinking of taking the plunge this weekend, but can't decide between the above, so I'm looking to be swayed one way or another please and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

There are pretty good demos for both...
    I guess it depends on your mood, they're both pretty damn different.

I personally would go with Limbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I tried Shank this week, and wasn't blown away at all. The graphics and sound are great, but it just felt like a button masher. Might give the demo another go this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I just bought limbo and its fantastic! Quite short and 1600 points is v steep IMO but it is worth it! As others have pointed out it shank and limbo are extremely different. Do you like puzzle games because that is essentially what Limbo is. Really refreshing change of pace from your usual fare and the environment/style of the game is very minimalistic yet very creepy! It reminded me of a newgrounds game from years ago when those types of flashgames were amazing. I would well recommend it though but don't expect much in terms of narrative and storyline its pretty much open to the player/viewer to form their own interpretations, as can be seen on the previous limbo thread on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Immediate response is get the trial versions for both and see which you prefer. You'll soon see Limbo is a beautiful puzzle game and Shank is a beautiful Metal Slug inspired shooter so which one you go for depends on the type of game you enjoy.

Off the cuff though I'd just say get Limbo, it's ****ing fantastic.

P.S. They're both 1200pts, Limbo is not 1600pts as pointed out by Asmodean.

Asmodean wrote: »
    1600 points is v steep

Its only 1200 (both games are).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Thanks folks, I may just get both. Think I'll start with Limbo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

neither - go for shadow coomplex.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

theUbiq wrote: »
    neither - go for shadow coomplex.

:)

Go on then, sell it to me. What's it about?
    Can't access any gaming websites or youtube at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shadow Complex should definitely be on your to-purchase list. It's also ****ing fantastic. :)

Think of a cross between Metroid, Castlevania and Contra...

If you haven't played Shadow Complex, then I'd definitely recommend that. Here are a selection of comments from the Shadow Complex page on Metacritic:

Gameshark: Saying that Shadow Complex is a triumph of Live Arcade almost sounds insulting. It's one of the best games in the 360 library. The gameplay is tuned tighter than a Maserati, and Jason's flowing movements nearly make the Prince of Persia seem crippled.

Gamespy: It's a must-play game for anyone who loves the reward-based exploration and side-scrolling action of the side-scrollers of old.

Giant Bomb: Shadow Complex is an incredibly well-made game that finally grabs the "Metroidvania" subgenre and drags it into the modern era instead of relegating it to a land of remakes or portable games.

IGN: One of the best games yet in 2009. And I'm not just talking about the Xbox Live Arcade. The classic, exploration-heavy gameplay is a winner.

Eurogamer: It's a game that will delight gamers old enough to recognise the classics it celebrates, while captivating those oblivious to its inspirations.

Xbox Addict: Just to give you folks an idea, I was able to muscle my way thru the game on normal in about 7 hours. But, I've only scratched the surface, the replayability is really high for this game as you can go through it over and over.

Gamespot: By focusing on the core themes of exploration and high-intensity combat while treating you to lush graphics and multiplane complexity, Shadow Complex is an excellent current-generation take on a classic gaming genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

+1 for Shadow Complex.

Pure awesome-sauce.

Advertisement