Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean Colour Scene

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Amazing band I would go on the say that Mosley Shoals is the best album of the nineties. Great live band but they have slipped off the radar. I still think that they produce some great albums but the press or media want little or nothing of them anymore.

When I was in school my mate said ' Ocean Colour Scene stopped being big when Simon Fowler came out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mosley Shoals was the first album I ever bought! :D

Back with CD's cost 15 punts so I bought the cassette as this was 10 punts so that's all the money I had, still have it somewhere I think.

Listened to Mosley Shoals so many times and saw OCS in Belfast, brilliant.

I do remember the Simon Fowler news around 1999, realy I was wondering what the fuss was.

Sway is my favourite song from this band

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

awesome band! saw them live last year and was pleasantly surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

They played a gig on Cork's Grand Parade many years ago and it was rocking!

Brilliant from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 traleemusic

Unbelievable band very under rated, had mosesly shoals on blank cassette couldnt afford the real one so i stole the cover, thankfully i seen the live,class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

zimovain wrote: »

My first OCS experience too and it was amazing. I was about 16 at the time. I had two pints in the city and my mate from school never showed on the bus (pre mobile days) but the gig was amazing. Great sing song beforehand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

saw them at OXEGEN '08, they were very good. had a great crowd sign along in one of the smaller tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

absolutely class band,one of the most underrated bands ever,their songs are beautiful and never get old.

its a shame their recent albums have gone unnoticed,they are still banging out great tunes but i fear they will call it a day soon,seen them live so many times,favourite band of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Great to see thee are fans out there
    i know they released albums for a good while but i gave up after Menchaniel wonder cause there albums were never given the same big release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i find great similarities in ocs and the coral 2 brilliant and very talented bands who have been shown little or no hype or promotion by the music media and press which is a huge shame. Ive had the pleasure of seeing ocs many times saw them this year at oxegen in which the had a reasonable enough turn out and played a brilliant set.
    my opinion on the band is if it wasn't for their irish fans and tours over here they would of packed it in years ago which is sad frankly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Steve Cradock's solo album is well worth checking out. Talented guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What are their later albums like, remember hearing a Hyperactive Workout for the Flying Squad and being less than impressed, pity, cause their stuff up to Mechanical Wonder still stands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Fantastic band. As already said MS is a truly superb album and one of my faves. I don't like too many bands from the 90s but these stood out in a sea of mediocre Britpop.

Stuff like Hundred Mile High City and Profit In Peace from later albums was excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ryano77

great live band. ive seen them twice and they really perform to a high standard. that free one in corks grand parade about ten years ago was one brilliant.. all of their albums are pretty consistent in my opinion. their latest one Saturdays is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

zimovain wrote: »

Cant agree more..

our Debs was on a Thursday, spent all day thursday/Friday on the piss and got the train down early from Carlow on Saturday to see them.. not sure what it was for.. was it a heineken sponsored festival??? anyway... awesome gig..

I remember a brawl just at the start as they started 100 mile high city, I also remember the band waving down to the crowd from the adjacent hotel room... BUT.. I remember Simon Fowler loosing the cool during Robin Hood as someone was pointing a laser light at him..

stayed in a hostel in Cork, got the train back to Carlow and the got a lift to Galway on the Sunday with my mates parents as my girlfriend was just starting college over there the next day.. I remember the security in corrib village being very nice to me as they caught me trying to sneak in, and let m in anyway..... :)

all in all a great weekend.. and a gig/weekend that will stay with me forever..

p.s,, pissed now., and talking *****.. forgive me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

saw them play good few years ago in Cuba (galway!)
    Great night, excellent live band

• Registered Users Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A great live band and they had some great albums too.
    They were probably the best riffs band of the 90's, they always had a great ability to create catchy tunes, easily one of the better bands of that era.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement