Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths for Software Dev

Options
  • 27-08-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of going back to college to do Software Development. I did first year of Video+Sound in LIT, but for a number of reasons, I had to drop out. Been working in various IT jobs over the past couple years, but honestly getting nowhere.

I'm hoping to complete the SD course, but my only concern is the Mathematics module. I got a D in pass maths in my leavingcert 2007 (I know, pretty dire) and I'm concerned I might not be able to keep up with the maths. I remember in the sound and video course, I was struggling with the maths too.

Can anyone shed some light on the maths course? Has anyone had any issues with it?

Thanks in advance,
    Mick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

I avoided doing software development because I didn't want maths. I went for multimedia programming and design instead no maths. Both courses have similar modules. both can lead to level 9 if you want.

If you did sound and vision before. Then multimedia programming would be right up your street. If you want to PM with your e-mail I can forward you the multimedia programming year one sylibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Thanks for the info mate!
    I was checking out the MM course before, but its not really what I'm fully interested in doing.

Cheers though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

Roast I am going into second year in SD and like yourself was useless at maths in secondary school . Got 86 in summer exam its not really hard so don't worry . What I would do if I had my time back is get started on the programming .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Thanks rob, good to know its not too overwhelming. Hopefully I'll see ya in LIT soon. :)

Advertisement