Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Will I be entitled to anything?

• 27-08-2010 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi There,

I have worked abroad for the last year. I am homesick and am coming back to Ireland next month. Some of my family have advised against this.

I am getting worried...if I can't find a job will I be entitled to the dole? I am a 23 year old graduate. I have never claimed before and will be living in rented accomodation- not with my family.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did you work before you left Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

Yes I worked as a University tutor while I studied for my Masters the year before I left. I also worked various part time jobs during my time at Uni...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a look at www.welfare.ie. From what you have already said you have worked for only a year. It is doubtful if you will have enough PRSI contributions. You may also have a problem getting rent allowance. This area vhas been considerably tightened up in the past 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been looking at the gov website and I'm still a bit confused- I assume I won't qualify for JSB but may qualify for JSA. I won't be living with my parents and I don't have any 'means' that I am aware of so should I assume I would receive 150p/w?

I'll be going home with about enough money to survive 6-8 weeks. Stress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you don't have enough prior PRSI payments to get JSB, you'll have to prove you have made Ireland your centre of interest again, i.e., severed your links abroad, intend remaining here, before you'd qualify for JSA.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/social-assistance-payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland

Above also applies to Rent Supplement and you'd either have to have the Local Authority approve you as being in need of housing or, alternatively, rent for 6 months before being eligible to apply for the supplement.

If you are still employed abroad, could you not come home for a week or so, get a more complete picture re job prospects and benefit situation (make appointment with Citizens Information office) before making decision?

• Advertisement
Advertisement