Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a new router - Advice?

• 27-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

My Netgear WGR614v9 isnt cutting the mustard anymore with all the streaming im doing in my house.

can anyone advise a few N class routers that would be able to stream movies/music etc very well?

is it worth going for a dual band router? would it be a noticeable difference?

FWIW, most of the streaming goes to the Xbox 360 /PS3.

ive heard Belkin is a bad place to start if you do any online gaming or play 360, which i do both alot.

also, im a bit of a techhead, so a router thats firmware is very customizable would be awesome.

im on UPC's 15mb package.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    also, im a bit of a techhead, so a router thats firmware is very customizable would be awesome.

Have a look at DD-WRT on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

+1 on DD-WRT. Also recommend Linksys router WRT160NL which it supports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

both of them look good.

it would be nice to have gigabit ethernet ports on them, and it seems the WRt160NL only has 10/100, which seemingly would cripple any heavy file transfer over wireless to wired (300mbps -> 100)

a major plus would be to have my printer and external HDD attached to it, and from what ive read, you can attach a USB hub (to the linksys atleast) and run the printer and HDD off them at the same time.

anyone have any experience with either of them, or more recommendations?

EDIT: or why one is definitely better than the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Because modern device evolve so quickly, it is always usually useful to Google for reviews of the product before buying.

Advertisement