Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres, 23-25-28mm?

• 27-08-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are the pros and cons of the various tyre widths?
    I'm currently on the 23mm Conti GP4000s which I find to be really good.
    If the road is very wet I do feel that I'm on a bit of a knife edge as the tyre is so narrow (especially when descending, but I know that's probably more to do with me than the tyre)

Is there a marked difference between a 23 and 25mm tyre, more grip perhaps?
    A 28mm tyre sounds huge compared to a 23 but I've only ever used 23's so don't know what they're like.
    I take it you would run each tyre type with different psi's but what other differences can I expect, rolling resistance etc?
    I don't do any racing btw, just training and sportives.
    What are you using and why?
    Thanks.

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I recently switched from 23mm@100psi to to 28mm@80psi, and was surprised that the ride quality wasn't greatly improved. Sure, it makes a bit of a difference, but a pothole still feels like a pothole and the buzz from coarsely chipped road surfaces still comes through.

I also don't think width makes much difference to wet grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

I've always used 23's so im not sure about the 28's but ive used contenental attack/force before and i found them absolute ****e in the wet same thing with the michelin prorace. i now use vredestein and find that these are great in the wet. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47705
    if its wet and doesnt look like dryin up i just knock them down from around the 110psi to 95 or 100 and they dont feel a bit slippy. (im a bit of a cautious decender tho so im never goin too quick into the corners to properly give them a test)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Perhaps the compound makes more of a difference then width for grip.

Advertisement