Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Photography Course

• 27-08-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am very interested in doing a photography course. My aim is to be competent enough to do baby photo shoots.

Could you please advise me on the best way to approach this.

I also want to learn about editing my images.

I would say that I am a complete beginner, I usually use a point and shoot camera. So would have to start at the beginning!!

Before I start a course I will be buying a digital slr camera and would appreciate your advise on which one to choose for baby photography. I was thinking of buying a cannon Digital SLR.

I would really appreciate your advice. I know courses are starting soon and want to get started asap.

I am based in Galway but i don't mind travelling.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can do a course with digital beginners to get the fundamentals of the camera and then do something advanced and then learn about lighting whether it be natural or studio lighting.

Ask some friends that have kids to practice on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I've never heard of a course to tell the truth. Do what Borderfox says and supplement with a book dedicated to child photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Thanks for your advise.

I have been in touch with IOP and will book a course with them to start.

I have been advised to get a Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera.

Do any of you know where the best place to get it and what lenses should I get for portrait work.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

All the info you need including reviews on lenses are available on fredmiranda.com

Canon 5D2 is what a lot of Wedding Photographers are using now.....great camera and going to be my next purchase if a 5D3 doesn't come out beforehand.

For Baby photos then I'd say go for:
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM / Canon EF 135mm f/2L USME
    Either or....you get fantastic portraits from these....they blur any backround really well.

Try ebay.....thats where I got my lenses and Canon 20D and thats where I will be buying my 5D2.
    Stick to UK & Ireland area when searching though....body is 1900euro so welcome to a really expensive game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Some larger Irish stores offer basic photography courses WITH the purchase of digital cameras.

Denis McSweeney Photo Shops in Cork and Dublin is one of them. If buying a new digital camera today at you level I'd consider this, the courses are worth approx €160 and there are a few levels, the first or basic course is usually free or reduced with the purchase of a new camera and lens.

Obviously the shop will have exact details, the courses don't rule all year round as they need their numbers for classes etc, etc, etc.

I'd look at that first. Canon or Nikon, can't go wrong, I'd stick to either of these to begin with, new obviously the second hand market could get you anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Just tap up Square Balloon from here, offer her so much money that she can't refuse and if she still plays hard to get hold a gun to a babies head.
    She'll surely crumble then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lateron wrote: »
    I have been advised to get a Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera.
    that's a hefty investment for someone just starting out in photography. you may be as well off starting a bit cheaper, given that you're a relative newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I would totally agree with magicbastarder that is a lot of money to spend when you are only starting out, what if you spend all that money and then don't like photography. I would suggest starting off with something a bit less expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

5dmk2 €2000
    85mm f1.2L €2250
    Baby priceless!!

bit of a large investment alright

that's a hefty investment for someone just starting out in photography. you may be as well off starting a bit cheaper, given that you're a relative newbie.
    I'm sorry I didn't start of with an expensive Camera, I wasted a fortune on cheaper cameras, once you read the manual inside out and the 'net I have to say there is very little difference between the 400D/450D/40D and the 5D II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm sorry I didn't start of with an expensive Camera, I wasted a fortune on cheaper cameras, once you read the manual inside out and the 'net I have to say there is very little difference between the 400D/450D/40D and the 5D II.

In fairness, there's also probably little perceptible differance between an entry level camera and a top of the range pro body with some good light and a fast prime. More expensive gear isn't the answer here. The OP first needs to learn how to go about taking photographs, and then if still interested in pursuing a career in portrait photography needs to learn how to use light effectively.

Just giving the other side of the coin to OP, I very much regret spending so much on entry level cams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but are you taking better shots now because you've a better camera or because you've a better idea of what you're doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

but are you taking better shots now because you've a better camera or because you've a better idea of what you're doing?

Yes, but is that not slightly beside the point. If the OP can and wants to blow 3 or 4 grand on gear, that's up to them -they'll still have to learn the same way, and it just means if they don't enjoy it, they're out of pocket, not any of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Did you find a specific course on baby photography? I didn't think there was one in Ireland. The way I learned was on Flickr. I kept looking though the images of children and babies that I really liked and kept trying to create similar. That teaches you a lot and then you can find your own style. I have a canon 5D and 4 fantastic lenses.
    You do spend more in the long run if you buy entry level cameras when you know you want to go full frame eventually but if you buy second hand you could get a good deal. It would be pretty hard to go from a p&s straight into a FF though. That's a steep learning curve even with a course.

Yes, but is that not slightly beside the point. If the OP can and wants to blow 3 or 4 grand on gear, that's up to them -they'll still have to learn the same way, and it just means if they don't enjoy it, they're out of pocket, not any of us :)
    the OP was looking for advice on getting into photography; how much they spend on a camera is a very pertinent piece of advice given the question, especially since they may not know how much lenses can cost and may end up blowing their budget with the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 graysitcl

the Institute of photography run weekend courses for Beginners in Dublin which may suit you see Courses and if you speak to them beforehand I know he can give you great advice on which camera to go for.

Advertisement