Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Letterkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is there a more cost effective way of reaching a wide audience in Donegal ?
    Yes there is

women_gossiping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Well posting here would be a good start ........... and you can't get more cost effective than free. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

muffler wrote: »
    Yes there is

women_gossiping.jpg

A lesbian show?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    Yes there is

women_gossiping.jpg

all they need now is a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What was the old saying they had regarding getting the word out there?.......telephone, television or tell a woman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

A full/half page add in Letterkenny post possibly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

When you look at the reach that Highland has, it has a much cheaper cost per thousand than any paper ( they'll probably try to charge me more now ! ). So, if the message is simple, radio is a better option. Press really works well when you have a more complicated story to tell, but regional press, not only in Donegal but across the country, is horrendously expensive. And I wish that boards was free......but it's better value than a paper ad for sure.

I've still got my marketing team working away. We may end up doing both

I'll wear a curry's promo t-shirt and get snapped in as many papers as i can if you cut me a deal!?

But what would you say on the shirt to get maximum media exposure ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

How's about doing what you's done down the country, doing a mock wedding! that got loadsa media coverage, in all the national papers ect.... the fact that the couple got 15grands worth of stuff helped to, hell i'd even do it for that :D

• Advertisement

Where in the world?

That way when people see it they automatically think of the "Where in the World? PC World!"

How's about doing what you's done down the country, doing a mock wedding! that got loadsa media coverage, in all the national papers ect.... the fact that the couple got 15grands worth of stuff helped to, hell i'd even do it for that :D

Homer would you do me the honour of making me the happiest geek in Donegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    Homer would you do me the honour of making me the happiest geek in Donegal?

(first 20 seconds of this video will sum up what i think)

:pac::pac:

on second thoughts 15 grands worth of stuff.......

Homer, it was a national competition and we had entries from everywhere - and pleased to say that we got publicity everywhere too. Presumably you saw the winning couple and it was a lovely story. They're well pleased obviously. I'd plead poverty on doing it everywhere, we're doing 5 of these combined stores this year and I don't think I could extract € 75 k's worth of products out of suppliers. If I could.....

Danniemcq, that only covers PC World. It's a combined Currys & PC world so you'll have to cover both. Tell you what I'll do ( and this responds to the online challenge bit ) best slogan for the t shirt gets another € 100 off whatever deal we're doing on a TV, Laptop, Domestic Appliance and so on. You'll need to be spending € 200 minimum.

Winner announced on the Wednesday before the grand opening. Which is 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Winner announced on the Wednesday before the grand opening. Which is 3 weeks away.

Thought you were gonna try an pull a fast one... leave the grand opening to coincide with the Jan sales...

On a related note, IT shop local to me is pretty competitive on pricing with you guys on laptops, and knocks your socks off (15 -20% cheaper) on the inks that I use.

Currys/PC World do the if you find it cheaper within X miles they'll refund and give you extra 10%. Seen it in there when i was in. Might be worth a look ...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Don't know about Currys/PC World. I've dealt a good bit with them but when there's a problem their experts are not so expert. I've had a few relatively minor problems with laptops I've bought both in PC World in Dublin and Belfast and in both cases the repair centres got it completely wrong. I now stick to a local business where the guys really know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

killerbeg wrote: »
    Don't know about Currys/PC World. I've dealt a good bit with them but when there's a problem their experts are not so expert. I've had a few relatively minor problems with laptops I've bought both in PC World in Dublin and Belfast and in both cases the repair centres got it completely wrong. I now stick to a local business where the guys really know their stuff.

Why did you buy from them again when you had dealt with them a good bit and you were not satisfied?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

danjo wrote: »
    Why did you buy from them again when you had dealt with them a good bit and you were not satisfied?

I didn't, in both cases the clients I was working for used them for all their IT supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just to balance things out after killerbeg's post here. I have loads of stuff in the house here all bought from Currys in Derry. The only thing I ever had a problem with was a PC I bought five years ago. It came with a one year guarantee and on the last night of that year at approx 11.00pm, the hard drive gave up. I called the Tech-Guys and they came out a couple of days later and fitted a new hard drive under the guarantee. That is why I have bought loads more from them since.

• Advertisement

Agree with Danniemcq's point. if inks are cheaper elsewhere just let the guys in the store know. Once they can verify then you can have that price plus another 10 % of the difference back. You'll always find someone having a bit of a crack at us given our size and price promise keeps us on our toes. But will someone carry the same breadth of range as we do and beat us on price on the lot? Don't think so.

Killerbeg, respect the point that you make. If you're not satisfied and we've not delivered as we should, of course you should consider taking your business elsewhere. When you repair 30,000 laptops a year this can happen. Once is too often but it does.

We now have a Tech Guys service centre in the new Letterkenny store. This ups our service game a fair bit. If you give that a whirl and it doesn't deliver for you I'm out of options at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

smashey wrote: »
    It came with a one year guarantee and on the last night of that year at approx 11.00pm, the hard drive gave up.

I swear the internal clock is set to fry something when the warranty is up !:)
    I bought a laptop from Aldi many moons ago (Targa thingy) and it was a great old bird. 3 Year warranty and all. Never had a moments bother with it, until 3 years and a couple of weeks later....the motherboard died. :mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Once they can verify then you can have that price plus another 10 % of the difference back. You'll always find someone having a bit of a crack at us given our size and price promise keeps us on our toes. But will someone carry the same breadth of range as we do and beat us on price on the lot? Don't think so.

Lets see, price difference was €10.. sooo you'll give the same ink for ONE euro cheaper (couldn't put a number in capitals...) I live in Donegal Town, even if I bought a year's supply in your place the difference wouldn't pay my petrol... prob about €6 savings on the year. However the €60 I save by shopping local does make a difference to me.

As for beating you on price on the lot, AND have the range? Bit ridiculous don't you think, does ASDA beat Tesco on every item? Or Morrisons? ( I know using UK examples, the power of advertising lol) Perhaps, given your size and the obvious buying power you have, you should be beating everyone else on price as a matter of routine, not when it has been proven to you that you are dearer...

There is a saying ' the man who gets the name of being an early riser can stay in bed all day ' think you guys are starting to lie in a bit...

Firblog wrote: »
    Lets see, price difference was €10.. sooo you'll give the same ink for ONE euro cheaper (couldn't put a number in capitals...) I live in Donegal Town, even if I bought a year's supply in your place the difference wouldn't pay my petrol... prob about €6 savings on the year. However the €60 I save by shopping local does make a difference to me.

As for beating you on price on the lot, AND have the range? Bit ridiculous don't you think, does ASDA beat Tesco on every item? Or Morrisons? ( I know using UK examples, the power of advertising lol) Perhaps, given your size and the obvious buying power you have, you should be beating everyone else on price as a matter of routine, not when it has been proven to you that you are dearer...

There is a saying ' the man who gets the name of being an early riser can stay in bed all day ' think you guys are starting to lie in a bit...

While I agree with some of your point saying that some products might be cheaper elsewhere you will always find things like that in stores, sure they might be a euro dearer for ink cartridges but maybe other ink cartridges are cheaper? I think with the 10% offer is quite good in keeping prices down. (I’ll never say no if your prices were dropped though :p) And other items are much cheaper than elsewhere I have looked especially when it comes down to the quality of external harddrives for example. I don’t mind paying a tenner extra to get a reputable brand to one I could get elsewhere that looks like it was made by a ten year old and some play dough.

I was in there the day before last pricing things for a new computer and was impressed of the stock they had (although yous had feck all RAM) and can only assume that stock will improve over time again.

Also I do belive there is a milage limit to where you can find the item cheaper. I dunno if Donegal Town is included in that. Being in Donegal that does work in their advantage with no other big buyers around really

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Sorry to butt in, but just wondering will specials for the opening only be on the computery stuff or on other electricals?? Was just in today, looks great, staff were very helpful. Had a small problem when we bought a lot of stuff earlier in the year(washing machine, fridge, freezer, tumble dryer) but have to say they were more than helpful, and got it sorted out without too much trouble, so are thinking of going back to buy a new cooker

Thanks. we're still working out how we'll put the whole thing together but you can assume it will cover a wide variety of things. What I have the trading team working on is looking at giving a simple broad discount across all the main categories so that everyone who comes in over the weekend gets a deal. What we did in the Dublin openings recently was to put outrageous deals in place so that people started queueing through the night for them. Great stuff, but you had to limit the deals to 10 or 20 and there's so much business that you could do in Dublin that you could recover some of the discount. The big problem came when you saw the same people at the top of the queue on the Saturday as you saw on the Friday and the same again on the Sunday. That's great for EBay but not much use to real cusotmers. And the last thing I want to see customers in a queue in Letterkenny that aren't from the area and who'll you never see again. So we're trying to figure out what the level of overall discount would be that would see us invest the same amount of money but get to the greatest number of customers and give them a deal worht bringing them to the store so that they can see what's it's like - and come back again hopefully!

A very long winded answer to a very short question but you can assume that there will be a broad spread of deals. Thanks for the compliments to Fred, Micheal and the team . They've been doing what they've been doing for 20 years plus ( sorry Fred ) and they're certainly one of the best teams in the country

Firblog wrote: »

I think if you spoke to any of the 660 people who work for us in Ireland they'd tell you that the last thing they feel is that we've been lying down. Like any retailer we've been through a very difficult time in the last two years. Everything's had to change. There's been restructurings, hugely painful, while we've tried to get our cost base back under control. There's not one of these 660 colleagues who don't work differently and harder than they did two years ago. I'm proud of every single one of them.

And, having gone through that pain, we're now investing for the future. I don't think there are many businesses in Donegal or Dublin or Cork that are putting big investments on the ground in the way that we have in Letterkenny. We've no God given right to your business but we'll do as much as we can to get it

Competition is of course rife in our business. We sure as heck try to be cheaper than everyone, but they're doing their best to find ways to both look and be as price competitive as us. And fair dues to them. I've respect for every competitor that we have, we're all doing our best to compete with each other and I hope that we all come out of the post Tiger reality in good shape.

danniemcq wrote: »
    While I agree with some of your point saying that some products might be cheaper elsewhere you will always find things like that in stores, sure they might be a euro dearer for ink cartridges but maybe other ink cartridges are cheaper? I think with the 10% offer is quite good in keeping prices down. (I’ll never say no if your prices were dropped though :p) And other items are much cheaper than elsewhere I have looked especially when it comes down to the quality of external harddrives for example. I don’t mind paying a tenner extra to get a reputable brand to one I could get elsewhere that looks like it was made by a ten year old and some play dough.

I was in there the day before last pricing things for a new computer and was impressed of the stock they had (although yous had feck all RAM) and can only assume that stock will improve over time again.

Also I do belive there is a milage limit to where you can find the item cheaper. I dunno if Donegal Town is included in that. Being in Donegal that does work in their advantage with no other big buyers around really
    There's a 30 mile limit on the price promise, but there's a lot of space in Donegal ! I don't think Fred in our store would argue the point too much. I think our price promise should extend to the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Thanks Declan-have my eye on a shiny new cooker, its already on sale so might have to gather the money before the sale and get it in case it goes up in price!!!

My 6 year old was very impresses with the 3D tvs, and has decided that we should all be born with 3D eyes, save us having to wear glasses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Think it may be time to invest in a nice new laptop. Is there any finance deals available ??

Advertisement