Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Internal Flights

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Is there any deals or offers that I can get beforehand? I'd probably be looking at 3 or 4 internal flights.

I'll be there in October, starting my trip in Bangkok this Thursday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Are you planning on booking them before you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Around lunchtime on Fridays, the Jetstar Friday Frenzy gets emailed out to people on the mailing list. It gives details on the discount flights between one if the big cities and usually a smaller regional airport (eg Whitsundays Airport) between a set of dates a month apart happening in about 8 months.

It's useful for people living here,less useful for trip planning,bit might be worth having a quick look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

gleep wrote: »
    Are you planning on booking them before you leave?

If I can get a good, although I'll wait if thats better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's also the Virgin Blue happy hour sale from noon to 1pm daily. I would stick with Virgin Blue if I were you. The others are dismal. I think there's also an airpass thing for visitros from overseas for domestic flights. I'm not sure how cost effective it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

If you want cheap and are not fussy, go with Tiger Airways. They're the cheapest. Virgin are probably 2nd cheapest, but are a lot better. Have a look around Webjet and Flight centre for deals.

• Advertisement

Mackman wrote: »
    If you want cheap and are not fussy, go with Tiger Airways. They're the cheapest. Virgin are probably 2nd cheapest, but are a lot better. Have a look around Webjet and Flight centre for deals.
    Jetstar and Qantas may on occasion be cheaper than Virgin, Jetstar usually should be. I always fly Virgin Blue unless I'm forced to fly Qantas for work, due to them sometimes being cheaper. Qantas despite being a 'full service airline' are atrocious. Customers are treated with absolute contempt on Qantas. I'm flying twice a week at the moment and I don't stray from Virgin except in extreme circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Be very careful of Jetstar and Tiger, they frequently cancel flights.
    Personally I would always choose Virgin Blue.

hussey wrote: »
    Be very careful of Jetstar and Tiger, they frequently cancel flights.
    Personally I would always choose Virgin Blue.
    Whenever I'm in SYD I always feel sorry for the poor buggers on Tiger when I hear the announcements over the tannoy. Flight XYZ delayed by 6 hours / cancelled etc. It rarely happens on Virgin Blue and if it does they plan well in advance to re-accommodate people wherever possible, you also get a refund which makes up for it most times. Qantas very often have delays and they're generally slow to get the show on the road but I can't remember them cancelling on me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Try ur best not to fly with tiger!!!Just pay d extra 20 dollars for qantas or jetstar

Try ur best not to fly with tiger!!!Just pay d extra 20 dollars for qantas or jetstar
    Or even better Virgin Blue for whatever the fare difference is. There's no excuse for flying Qantas these days unless you're forced to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leigh c

id recommend virgin blue as well, you can get cheaper flights with them by booking through there virgin blue air pass web site www.virginblueairpass.com , but you do have to be outside oz, a none tax resident and booking 3 or more flights to get them, so if you tick all the boxs u get them a good bit cheaper.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I need some advice in relation to trip to Australia in October. I need to fly from Adelaide to Cairns. From what I can see there is only 1 direct flight which is with Jetstar and this is early in the morning. I have a business meeting in the morning so that rules that out.

I was thinking of flying with Virgin Blue to Brisbane and then onto Cairns. If I do this I will have to go via Sydney or Melbourne. Does anybody know if flight routing with Virgin that includes two flights can you check-in the whole way through and will luggage be transferred automatically?

I was also considering flying Adelaide to Sydney in afternoon and then getting evening flight to Cairns. Adelaide flight gets into Sydney at 17:10. Flight to Cairns departs at 19:20. Is there sufficient time here to make transfer?

I need some advice in relation to trip to Australia in October. I need to fly from Adelaide to Cairns. From what I can see there is only 1 direct flight which is with Jetstar and this is early in the morning. I have a business meeting in the morning so that rules that out.
    I don't think that would be a very popular route, you're travelling a small city and a big country town almost a continent away essentially. I think a stopover would be your best bet. Don't go via Sydney or Melbourne, they would be huge detours. Go via Brisbane, you're guaranteed not to have change terminals there either. (EDIT: Although from Virgin Blues booking system the durations look similar. Strange.)
    I was thinking of flying with Virgin Blue to Brisbane and then onto Cairns. If I do this I will have to go via Sydney or Melbourne. Does anybody know if flight routing with Virgin that includes two flights can you check-in the whole way through and will luggage be transferred automatically?
    There should be no problem checking your bag through.
    I was also considering flying Adelaide to Sydney in afternoon and then getting evening flight to Cairns. Adelaide flight gets into Sydney at 17:10. Flight to Cairns departs at 19:20. Is there sufficient time here to make transfer?
    For connections in Sydney within the same terminal 20 minutes would be enough actual time between arrival and departure times. You just have to make sure you allow for delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Aussie flight comparison site:

http://www.webjet.com.au/

Advertisement