Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear Mech Hanger Straightening

• 27-08-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

So I've bought the replacement hanger for bent one which is on my bike. The problem is that I can't remove the rear wheel as the hanger is in the way of the cassette. 'Tis a carbon frame so I don't want to risk straightening it with brute force.

I made an enquiry with a bike shop in Cork city. I explained that I'd already removed the derailleur (the "hard part") and just needed the hanger straightened but without any need for precision as I'm going to replace it with the one which I've already bought. A 1 minute job at most (allowing 50 seconds for rumaging around to find the alignment tool). They quoted me €10 for the job and they wouldn't be doing it on the spot meaning I'd have to leave it with them.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cyclus_Gear_Hanger_Alignment_Tool/5300003490/ ?

If/when I get it any of you out there needing to use it will be able to call on over and do so free of charge and ON THE SPOT. You might even get a FREE cup of tea (Barrys, of course).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm presuming that you can't do the obvious and remove the existing hangar while the wheel is still attached? i.e. remove the skewers and just unscrew the hangar.

Even a carbon frame should have some give in it to pull the rear stays slight apart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

seamus wrote: »
    I'm presuming that you can't do the obvious and remove the existing hangar while the wheel is still attached? i.e. remove the skewers and just unscrew the hangar.

Even a carbon frame should have some give in it to pull the rear stays slight apart?

The screws are on the cassette side and are very (perhaps too) difficult to get at. With a spare pair of hands I might be able to flex the rear stays enough although the hanger is pretty bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's what I was thinking. If the hanger was straight, it probably wouldn't be too hard to squeeze an allen key in there, typical.

I wouldn't be inclined to try and flex the stays with any more force than a single person could apply, but if you're really stuck, you could ziptie one stay to something immovable (like a fence) and pull on the other one, leaving another hand free to push the wheel out.

I would take a Dremel to the bent hangar and just cut off the bent bit, but I have a dremel, you probably don't. Though a hacksaw should go through it like butter.

My only concern about buying the above tool is that it may not be designed for severe bends, only very slight ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Without seeing it`s difficult to be definitive but could you just CAREFULLY cut off as much of it as possible without going near the frame. Pop out your wheel and unbolt the remainder.

I would take a Dremel to the bent hangar and just cut off the bent bit, but I have a dremel, you probably don't. Though a hacksaw should go through it like butter.

I don't but I'll also like to straighten it somewhat so that I can keep it as a stopgap replacement. I have a shiney new bike so it's not urgent. I think that I'll just go ahead with ordering the alignment tool. At only €25 that's 2.5 trips to the LBS to get the job done. I'll probably get further use out of it as might others.

• Advertisement

My only concern about buying the above tool is that it may not be designed for severe bends, only very slight ones.

That thought had occured to me. It might not actually screw in to the derailleur if it's bent at this part. If that's the case I'll just borrow a drill from someone

Only €25 though.

Just ordered it there now along with a fancy bottle cage so that all is not lost if it doesn't work. My justification for an impulse buy :D

If anyone comes across this thread and needs their hanger aligned PM me to arrange free use of this tool. Btw, I'm in Cork, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frank4short

If it doesn't need to be acurrate the easiest way to do it is put the mech back on. Then with the 5mm allen key in the mech hanger bolt straighten it with that. E.g. force the hanger the way you want using the allen key. This may require a really good quality allen key to do.

If it doesn't need to be acurrate the easiest way to do it is put the mech back on. Then with the 5mm allen key in the mech hanger bolt straighten it with that. E.g. force the hanger the way you want using the allen key. This may require a really good quality allen key to do.

I tried that last night but can give it a go again. Might have been overly cautious with the froce that I'd applied. Alignment tool is on it's way to me now anyway. Any other nifty uses for it besides disciplining the kids with it* ? :eek:

*before anyone gets on to the ISPCC I don't actually have any kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lemag wrote: »
    *before anyone gets on to the ISPCC I don't actually have any kids

Stranger Terrorises Random Kids With Massive Tool

• Advertisement

Stranger Terrorises Random Kids With Massive Tool

Don't think that my tool is massive enough to scare anyone. I could stick up a photo of it up on the 'images of beauty' thread and let the boardsies be the judges. Do I need a kid in the photo for scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I love these threads. It's the vision of a boardsie hovering over his stricken bike with a laptop and various powertools to hand that does it.

Lumen wrote: »
    I love these threads. It's the vision of a boardsie hovering over his stricken bike with a laptop and various powertools to hand that does it.

At my work desk actually so downloading a picture of a kid might have consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

I'd have been happier paying €10 to the shop and them being liable if the frame is damaged, rather than spending £20 and doing it myself?

BryanL wrote: »
    I'd have been happier paying €10 to the shop and them being liable if the frame is damaged, rather than spending £20 and doing it myself?

AFAIK it's pretty straight forward with the alignment tool. Lots of instructional videos on youtube. It'll just depend on where the hanger has the kink. If the tool can't be used then I'll go at it with a drill. The frame should be fine in either case but the hanger will be useless if I have to resort to the latter. Bent hangers are quite common so it should get plenty of further use. I've already ordered a spare for my new bike. I'll starve myself of 5 pints of guinness and it'll be as though it was a freebee.

Having ordered the alignment tool and after its seemingly lengthy non arrival, I only realized upon my return from abroad that it wasn't actually in stock. I waited a little while longer and then gave the following a go again.

Worked a charm. Cheers again frank4short.

I'm going to leave the order in for the alignment tool for whenever it arrives. Only 25 bucks and I'll have the added excitement of initially not knowing what it is when it arrives.

Advertisement