Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What masters available after degree?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm about to start a degree in Arts in UCD. I'm currently researching what masters are open to me after I complete this degree. Although I can find some, does anyone know of a definitive list of masters? Or does it all depend on your subject choice within the arts degree?

Main reason why I ask is that I want to pursue a masters in some area of sport sciences (didn't get the points for the degree course so doing arts :o ) I don't think this is an option but if anybody knows other ways to pursue this do tell.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

nebula21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm about to start a degree in Arts in UCD. I'm currently researching what masters are open to me after I complete this degree. Although I can find some, does anyone know of a definitive list of masters? Or does it all depend on your subject choice within the arts degree?

Main reason why I ask is that I want to pursue a masters in some area of sport sciences (didn't get the points for the degree course so doing arts :o ) I don't think this is an option but if anybody knows other ways to pursue this do tell.

Are we jumping the gun a little?
    In saying that I did a BA in UCD as well in Geography and I'm now doing an MSc in Environmental Science (absolutely poles apart in the content), really an arts degree can get you a foot in any door!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

nebula21 wrote: »
    Hi,

Depends on your subject choice within arts, your degree classification, your references, and any other experience you'll have.

Check out the requirements for the various masters in sports science - do they require simply 'a good honours degree' or do they specify acceptable subjects (some of which might fall under arts - though I suspect it'd be more like physiotherapy-type courses)? An arts degree opens a lot of doors but at the same time, an English degree is unlikely to get you into a Chemistry masters, etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nebula21

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I suppose I could be jumping the gun a little. But I've already done half a degree nd left because it wasn't for me.

I wanted to go back to do a specific sports degree but didn't get accepted as a mature student and then didn't have the points for the course so got stuck with arts. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the most of it. Fairly certain a masters is what I want to do unless I get some amazing job in sports in the mean time :D

I'll have to research the masters a bit more and make sure my subject choices in my arts degree give me the most options possible.

Thanks again for the feedback much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I wouldn't say you're jumping the gun. I have always planned years ahead when it comes to education. It gives me plenty of time to review all my options and narrow down exactly what I want and what I need to do to get it. Knowing the requirements needed for a masters is a good thing, as you're more likely to focus on relevant things in your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mclimi

hey!

I would definitely say do something that's relevant to the course in some way. Somewhat blindly, I chose to do arts after secondary school and I did Linguistics and Psychology thinking that progression to a Masters in Speech therapy was gonna be easy. It's not been so easy so far, I have yet to get into a course and I'm thinking of applying as an undergrad next year.

I don't want to dishearten you. Would you consider doing science and working up from that as they are more closely related. I know three people who did physio hoping to get a masters in the sports related side of things so far only one of them has done so and they're all super smart.

If I had been told this a few years back I may have chosen to do things differently and to be honest I probably would have repeated my leaving cert but thats just me! You gotta stick with whatever feels best for you though!

All the best and hope it all works out!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement