Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom at my door lying

• 27-08-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Two Eircom reps at my door saying I was on a special list to rejoin them with special offer to get me to return to Eircom.

Next Generation Broadband and a new phone package for 4 euro per month with no line rental.

I explained I was on UPCs Anytime pack with unlimited Local and National and 400 Mins of International calls per month.
    Their reply was that their pack had the local and National calls and calls to 085 numbers and that the international calls would hardly be used anyway.
    Also the money-saving made Eircom the clear winner over UPC 4 Euro vs 18 on UPC.

I use the international calls however I don't know anybody worth calling who uses and 085 mobile.

Next they tried to sell me their Next Generation Broadband saying it could save me money.
    They asked me what speed I got from UPC and I said 30Meg they told me they doubt I can get 30 or anything like it in reality.
    My speed test is like this around the clock now peak time also 930011154.png the 2nd one is peak time in the evening 928031117.png .

I asked what kind of speed they could offer me and their reply was I could keep my broadband and just get their phone 4 euro vs 18 from UPC I said their has to be a catch but they replied no I was on a special list and that they were trying to regain lost business.

I gave Eircom a ring on 1901 and asked about this offer and I was told it was true 4 Euro and no line rental FOR THE FIRST TEN MONTHS:rolleyes: after which I would be in a contract with the line rental on top of the 4 eruo so that would be 30 Euro vs UPCs 18 and I would lose my international calls.

So Eircom was trying to sell me a pack that is 12 Euro more expensive then my current pack and offers less using the bait of no line rental.

The truth is you sign a contract and the line rental kicks in after a few months and then you are stuck.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Only stuff for 2 months 10 months free line rental 12 month contract.

Not bad if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Only stuff for 2 months 10 months free line rental 12 month contract.

Not bad if you ask me.

And at the end of the year I have to switch back to UPC to get my 12 euro saving back and my international calls.

Also I would have two phone providers at the start and at the end as I was having my number ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

This happened to me too this week. Same deal with the 10 months free and next gen broadband. I have everything(tv, phone, bb) with upc so i gave them a buzz and mentioned this deal and they dropped €25 a month off my bill for 12months! Might be worth a go if your contract with upc is out or nearly out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But...

On average due to Line Length
    ADSL2+ 25Mbps is typically 6Mbps to 8MBps on average
    Original 8Mbps ADSL sold as 8Mbps NGB is typically 3Mbps on average

Also
    While the overall average speed in Ireland is about 3Mbps (due to smaller number of very fast connections), the majority of people get 1Mbps.

These are "puppy dog" sales techniques. Unless something dramatic happens, then after the introduction period you will be paying more than €4 for BB and also €26 Line Rental.
    1000054_dslreach.jpg
    See http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits why the current eircom marketing is less than fair. :(

Also the cap is now enforced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This happened to me too this week. Same deal with the 10 months free and next gen broadband. I have everything(tv, phone, bb) with upc so i gave them a buzz and mentioned this deal and they dropped €25 a month off my bill for 12months!

Quick two questions and an observation.

The 'free' line rental and free connection is for a phone line that has been out of service continually since 2009 and lasts 10 months from connection , it is detailed here.."trial Line promotion" and expires next week. It will be replaced by a half price line rental for 6 months ( not free for 10 months) offer from 1 sept ONLY if you are coming to the end of the 10 month free deal though. 'Normal' eircom customers may not avail of this "trial line 2" deal ....officially. Bet if you mention UPC and live in a city they might offer it though :D

1. Did you get the offer on a line that is in service ?
    2. Did you get the 12 month free line rental offer in writing...coz if not then :D:D ....but there should be a recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

As I posted in another thread. I was talking to an eircom ''winback'' sales guy yesterday , i promised to go back to eircom if they could provide broadband , to which he said ''i have just checked your line and it is due to be upgraded to give you broadband by the end of the year'':rolleyes:

Seems strange that the exchange has been enabled for 2 years and only now are they going to upgrade the lines. It is a bit suspicious.

Another example of eircom's slick and unfair sale techniques?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Yeah I got a call about Eircoms NGB and how I should switch away from UPC. Was a funny call him trying to prove how they offer a better package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ADSL2+ simply cannot beat EuroDOCSIS cable modem connections. It's ridiculous to suggest that it can!

Most phone lines won't give you the full 24mbit/s unless you actually live IN the exchange :)

Typically 24mbit/s maxed out will give between 10 and 17mbit/s on the likes of Smart and Magnet.

Cable can deliver up to 120mbit/s without much difficulty when the new modems roll out later this year!

Also, eircoms NGB's backhaul is nowhere near as good as Fibre-to-Node that UPC use.

The only argument that eircom could make is that their service is *usually* (but not always) more reliable, particularly for voice telephony.

UPC's phone service is VoIP based and needs a working UPC broadband connection and mains power to work. Where as eircom's PSTN connections are independent of your broadband connection and power themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

Solair wrote: »
    ADSL2+ simply cannot beat EuroDOCSIS cable modem connections. It's ridiculous to suggest that it can!

Most phone lines won't give you the full 24mbit/s unless you actually live IN the exchange :)

Typically 24mbit/s maxed out will give between 10 and 17mbit/s on the likes of Smart and Magnet.

Cable can deliver up to 120mbit/s without much difficulty when the new modems roll out later this year!

Also, eircoms NGB's backhaul is nowhere near as good as Fibre-to-Node that UPC use.

The only argument that eircom could make is that their service is *usually* (but not always) more reliable, particularly for voice telephony.

UPC's phone service is VoIP based and needs a working UPC broadband connection and mains power to work. Where as eircom's PSTN connections are independent of your broadband connection and power themselves.

to be clear on this UPC phone does not require a subscriber to have upc broadband at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Had the same a while back... When they asked my speed there reply was "You dont get those speeds all the time",,, But I do lol.. Eircom are just so bad when it comes to BB.. and with them checking your downloads now I dont see why anyone would go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Quick two questions and an observation.

The 'free' line rental and free connection is for a phone line that has been out of service continually since 2009 and lasts 10 months from connection , it is detailed here.."trial Line promotion" and expires next week. It will be replaced by a half price line rental for 6 months ( not free for 10 months) offer from 1 sept ONLY if you are coming to the end of the 10 month free deal though. 'Normal' eircom customers may not avail of this "trial line 2" deal ....officially. Bet if you mention UPC and live in a city they might offer it though :D

1. Did you get the offer on a line that is in service ?
    2. Did you get the 12 month free line rental offer in writing...coz if not then :D:D ....but there should be a recording.

The line has been out of service for over 12 months.
    I didn't get 12 months free line rental (don't think upc do line rental, not sure), i got my bill reduced by upc on the back of eircoms offer - just told them i was considering changing and could they do any better on my bill. They more than matched eircoms offer and i keep the exact same package so i'm happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Never never never agree to a contract on the doorstep or from a cold calling salesperson.

Have your standard response ready : "Send me all of the details in the post with your contact information and I'll review it. If I'm interested I'll contact you"

they will reply with some sales pitch (probably telling you some bull**** about it being a limited time offer)

to counteract this you have your broken record response ready

"No, thank you all the same. I have a policy that I don't do sales on my doorstep or by telephone. I'm sure you'll understand"

Keep repeating until they go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I used to work for eircom (although in B2B not D2D). They're constanty trained to say anything necessary to get the sale. The company is so bad, that although they put a free landline & BB into my house, I kept my BT one, even at that, I resent the fact that they still get the line rental portion of my bill - as soon as UPC deliver I'm cutting that off.

Their sales tactics are despicable & their monthly sales meetings are aimed at humiliating staff who don't (can't) deliver.

It was said to me on more than one occasion when I asked for lower pricing "people will want to use us because we're eircom, not because we're cheaper"... let me tell you, that's not the case.

Horrible company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

Never never never agree to a contract on the doorstep or from a cold calling salesperson.

Have your standard response ready : "Send me all of the details in the post with your contact information and I'll review it. If I'm interested I'll contact you"

they will reply with some sales pitch (probably telling you some bull**** about it being a limited time offer)

to counteract this you have your broken record response ready

"No, thank you all the same. I have a policy that I don't do sales on my doorstep or by telephone. I'm sure you'll understand"

Keep repeating until they go away.

I disagree. I say agree to it at the time, and cancel it once they're gone if you're not happy with it. You have 7 days to cancel anything like this, without obligation.

I did it recently. Eircom called to the door, told me of the great deal I'd get. Sounded great. I signed. They left. I read the full contract. Realised it was a bad deal. Called and cancelled.

I never ever agree to buy ANYTHING from any cold call (door, Internet, phone etc). It's feeding Trolls and making the most evil marketing practices in the Known Universe acceptable.

There is little difference between email spam and a cold caller at you door, except that the physical "cold calling" costs more and involves extremely poorly paid "salesmen".

ALWAYS research what you want and pick a supplier. You are much less likely to be scammed by Gutter/Roof repairs, tarmac, Broadband contract or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

agreed there watty they are so clueless about broadband it is unreal they even send people round here that can barely even speak english its a disgrace what they try and sell to the guliable people at doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yep, got a guy arriving at my door from Eircom a few weeks ago. I told him that I was with UPC and he told me that wireless internet is very unreliable and that although it may be alright now it gets much worse as more people use it. I corrected him and said that it wasn't wireless. He then proceeded to point at my chimney and ask "Well what's that?", I looked at him blankly and said "The neighbours' Sky dish, we share a chimney". He also gave me the free line rental spiel but neglected to tell me that it was only for 10 months, even after I asked him if he was sure.

The eircom sales guys were here a few weeks back.

It was something like this

I said I have perfectly good BB and phone with no phone line, so no thanks paying €26 line rental a month. One asked how is that possible?

(They offered free line rental.)

I said Digiweb Metro, it's a high performance Wireless. I don't pay line rental.

He then said, "Well after the year free line rental they are abolishing line rental. Almost definate."

The other said,
    "Yes I have Metro, can't get DSL, but does seem good" He stared at roof "But you have no radio"

"Yes it's not on the Chimney as the big Beech trees block the signal. It's beside the back door seeing the mast under the branches of the big trees"

So they went off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Runs Cold wrote: »
    to be clear on this UPC phone does not require a subscriber to have upc broadband at all....

True, but the product still requires a UPC broadband modem to work, you just can't use it for your internet access unless you subscribe to their broadband packages. It's VoIP!

You don't have to have UPC broadband for internet access, nor do you have to pay for it. However, technically speaking you do have it, it's just limited to VoIP only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jeff34634

A guy came to the door today and said it was 8mb up and down which I'm pretty sure isn't possible with their technology. They might also neglect to tell you your download usage and how if its not the unlimited package they will charge you per gb exceeding your limit which is 10gb or 30gb.

• Advertisement

Not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Love this thread, can't wait to get a call from them so I can post on here.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

i wouldnt be too hard on the sales people. if you had the choice between selling eircom lines or giving your home to the bank which would you choose? and dont be smart...you WOULD choose to keep your home. i feel sorry for anyone who has to work like that.

so lay all the blame on eircom

its probably just despiration on their part, who really needs a landline anymore anyway (everyone has a mobile) and they are fully aware that their products are overpriced and underperforming.

might just be a ploy to improve sales figures in order to keep the books looking good. one can only hope that company is in serious trouble.

wires wrote: »
    i wouldnt be too hard on the sales people. if you had the choice between selling eircom lines or giving your home to the bank which would you choose?

Thats a nice assumption.. Nobody would be hard on them if they were doing things right which in my case they were lying about almost everything they said and did absolutely no research into what they were trying to sell. They pray on people that don't know alot about what broadband is or about other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

I had them a couple of weeks back.

Asked them what the latency, ping and packet loss on the DSL was.
    After a short pause I said good bye and closed the door. :D

I think they where still there an hour later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

1010330404.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

Until the broadband in Ireland reaches this level. I may never come home.

1010332069.png

@ alyuciao In Ireland at least one company I know has already introduced "fiber to the home" in some areas which is as fast and I've seen alot faster than what you've posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Jeff34634 wrote: »
    @ alyuciao In Ireland at least one company I know has already introduced "fiber to the home" in some areas which is as fast and I've seen alot faster than what you've posted.

I think magnet have fiber in belmaine. As far as I'm aware... the whole area was fitted with it right up to the door.
    50Mb if you have fiber 25mb if you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Jeff34634 wrote: »

fibre to the home?

Who is that? Magnet?

Advertisement