Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib text message scam?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭

Just received a text that reads

"Your access to Aib internet banking has been suspended because your code card has expired.
    Please go to (link removed by random) to update your account."

Gotta be a scam as I don't bank with AIB and the web address looks suspect anyway.

What should I do, notify 02 and AIB?

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Well, they already know about it, but there's no harm in telling them again. I'd be interested to know if O2 should be able to stop these.

Actually I just stepped through the fake web-site, where you are asked to enter the 100 codes from the AIB codecard, then it sends you back to real AIB to login. Looks very authentic, though most people are not going to bother entering the 100 codes I would hope. Is that a new thing? I know some people using just the usual 6 or 8 digit PIN. I guess the 100 code card is an attempt to make it harder for thieves to capture all the codes? People might enter 6 digits, but they will be more reluctant to enter 100 multiple digit numbers?

===============================================================
    Alert - August 2010

It has come to our attention that a number of fraudulent (Phishing) emails and unsolicited text messages purporting to be from Allied Irish Banks p.l.c are currently in circulation.

These emails and text messages request you to log on to a website where you will be prompted for your AIB Internet Banking log in details and personal information. Please be aware that AIB Internet Banking will NEVER request your full PAC or Code Card details by email or text.

These emails and text messages are NOT from AIB and are a fraudulent attempt to obtain your AIB Internet Banking details eg.100 codes from your Code Card. Please remember;

ix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

ixtlan wrote: »
    Well, they already know about it, but there's no harm in telling them again. I'd be interested to know if O2 should be able to stop these.

Actually I just stepped through the fake web-site, where you are asked to enter the 100 codes from the AIB codecard, then it sends you back to real AIB to login. Looks very authentic, though most people are not going to bother entering the 100 codes I would hope. Is that a new thing? I know some people using just the usual 6 or 8 digit PIN. I guess the 100 code card is an attempt to make it harder for thieves to capture all the codes? People might enter 6 digits, but they will be more reluctant to enter 100 multiple digit numbers?

===============================================================
    Alert - August 2010

It has come to our attention that a number of fraudulent (Phishing) emails and unsolicited text messages purporting to be from Allied Irish Banks p.l.c are currently in circulation.

These emails and text messages request you to log on to a website where you will be prompted for your AIB Internet Banking log in details and personal information. Please be aware that AIB Internet Banking will NEVER request your full PAC or Code Card details by email or text.

These emails and text messages are NOT from AIB and are a fraudulent attempt to obtain your AIB Internet Banking details eg.100 codes from your Code Card. Please remember;

ix

Laughable that they seek all 100 codes, can't see too many people falling for that, or bothering spending the time typing all 100 in.

Good quality fake though, as they say.

aib_banking_scam1.jpg

aib_banking_scam2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lmao would never enter 100 digits just to access my account lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've had these scam e-mails sent to one of my e-mail addresses for a few years (not talking about mobile phone text stuff now). Some of them end up in my In Box, but mostly they're in Spam. I usually readdress them to abuse@aib.ie and get an auto-response e-mail in return, warning me about phishing scams ....... Don't know if AIB actually does anything about them though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

This post has been deleted.

Message header was from 'aib' but there was no phone number showing in the message details so when I hit reply a msg came up on my phone saying 'unable to respond to txt' or something like that.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Ive just gotten one of these, seems to have updated now to www.codecard-update.com

the site warns you not to give your aib codes to anyone.................but us of course.

Interestingly my fone number is only posted on one site at the moment, not a million miles away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

unfortunately it only takes one or two people targeted to enter in their details and the scammers would be laughing..

Hopefully having to input the 100 numbers would put everyone off from doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

minotour wrote: »
    Ive just gotten one of these, seems to have updated now to www.codecard-update.com

the site warns you not to give your aib codes to anyone.................but us of course.

Interestingly my fone number is only posted on one site at the moment, not a million miles away from this one.

I just 'logged in' there with random numbers, it does look very convincing.

I'm never gonna go near that website in a million years, the only thing that concerns me is where they got my phone number.
    I'm still receiving the same text occasionally btw.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ive gotten two texts in the past month from these guys.

I wonder how they get people's numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ive gotten two texts in the past month from these guys.

I wonder how they get people's numbers?

Have you recently advertised anything online with your mobile number?
    donedeal maybe?

Hmmm..I did actually...on donedeal.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://help.o2online.ie/kb/ps?type=search&search=1&searchtype=2&c=12&cid=21&cpc=&searchstring=14673

I think I have received a fraudulent text message/email, what should I do?

Unfortunately, there are plenty of scams still doing the rounds. These are messages that try to look like they come from your bank or another official source. They often contain worrying messages, saying your account has been blocked or similar warnings. Then they invite you to visit a site and enter your bank details. This is called phishing.

One of the most common ones is a text message pretending to be from AIB. It claims that "your code card has expired" or "you need to confirm your account information". If you get this message, you should ignore the instructions and delete it immediately.

You can find out more about these messages on AIB's website.Link

Remember, neither AIB nor O2 will ever send you a text message asking for your account details. Stay safe.

Advertisement