Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plants, shrubs for attracting wildlife

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

i was recently pointed out a shrub which is great for attracting butterflys, the buddleia, are there any other plants/shrubs/trees which do a great job in attracting different wildlife such as birds or bees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

bamboozle wrote: »
    i was recently pointed out a shrub which is great for attracting butterflys, the buddleia, are there any other plants/shrubs/trees which do a great job in attracting different wildlife such as birds or bees?

Stinging or common nettle, (Urtica dioica) is the favourite food for several butterflies in their larval stage

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Lavender seems to be a firm favourite for bees!

Having Clover (Trifolium) in your Lawn and grow the herb Borago officinalis very good for Honey Bees!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Cabbages........never fails!!!:D

fodda wrote: »
    Cabbages........never fails!!!:D
    Those lovely White Butterflies :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Buddleia for butterflies and Limnanthes for bees. A bird table or bath is usually the best way to attract birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what is limanthus, is it shrub or floweris it easily obtainedi have the buddelea and it is covered with butterfliesbut i also leave a fine bunch of nettles grow on in the wild patch for their hatchery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

goat2 wrote: »
    what is limanthus, is it shrub or floweris it easily obtainedi have the buddelea and it is covered with butterfliesbut i also leave a fine bunch of nettles grow on in the wild patch for their hatchery

Limnanthes is the "poached egg plant", easily grown from seed and will self seed in subsequent years. It can be a bit of a nuisance as it drops quite a hard seed, which is picked up on the soles of shoes and spread everywhere. The foliage is easily recognisable though and you can get rid of it as it emerges. Nice scent too, I wouldn't be without it.

Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) excellent for bees early spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have found out i have two families of hedgehogs in my garden, it is beautiful to go out after dark, i feed them leftovers and they love it, there are no snails or slugs eating my flowers, the boys have a great dinner with them every nightto attract these beauties, the gardners best friends, in the queitest part of garden i have let the cuttings of my shrubs in a fine pile along with branches and bits of old wood, i have also let the nettles and briars grow along with a patch of grass, they have a safe haven there and give me great service with slugs gone and just watching them at night come to the bowls of food i put out, i do have jack russell dogs and cats, they just look at them and walk away, guess they must of touched them and got a picking which is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

purple geum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Advertisement