Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles Solo Career

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

John Lennon produced two great solo album in Imagine and Plastic Ono BAnd.
    McCartney had Band on the Run and Ram , one could add McCartney to the list.

George had the best of the lot in All Things Must Pass and Living in a Material World is a great album

Ringo's self titled release is well worth getting .

I suppose its a pity that after the masterpiece of 'Abbey Road' we didn't get another album but the band had drifted.

McCartney had some very good solo stuff in 'Chaos and Creation , Flaiming Pie and Memories almost full.

they never reached the heights of their Beatles output but produced some amazing songs though

Paul McCartney
    At The Mercy
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Souvenir
    Only Mama Knows
    Smile Away
    No Other Baby (great cover)
    My Love
    Junk

Lennon
    Imagine
    Instant Karma
    Give Me Some Truth
    Nobody Told Me
    God

Harrison
    I'd Have You Anytime
    Isn't It A Pity
    All Things Must Pass
    Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
    Sue Me, Sue You Blues
    Who Can See It

Ringo
    Photograph
    You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine)
    It Don't Come Easy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Yeah (yeah yeah), I agree.

I really love I Dig Love off All Things Must Pass, 1985 from Band on the Run and Love on Plastic Ono Band. Never really listened to Ringo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

I think that, after the beatles, Harrison and Lennon released the best work. Alot of people idolize "All things must pass", but some of my favourite Harrison songs belong on Cloud nine, such as "Devils Radio" and "Got my mind set on you". There's another great one called "Someplace else" which was used in shanghai surprise - the madonna film which Harrison produced, turned out a commercial and critical flop. "The Ballad of Frankie Crisp", from all things must pass, is another stellar.

I'm not sure how many people realize this, but the song play at the end of Lethal Weapon II is in fact George Harrison. It was a song he wrote with Tom Petty and produced with Jeff Lynne who you can hear on backing vocals.

I like a lot of McCartneys stuff aswell, though I don't think he's as artistically gifted as George or John ("Watching the wheels" trumps nearly, and possibly, all songs the beatles recorded"), yet Electric Arguments is a great record, very experimental and a major improvement from "Memory Almost full", which was good but somewhat slack in parts. He is, of course, the best live performer there is and I would probably be thrilled beyond believe to get a chance to see one of his shows.

Lennon was the most interesting member and took on subjects that were close to him, as in things like "God" and "Borrowed Time". One of my favourites of his is "Nobody Told Me". Imagine (forgive the blasphemy) is rather overrated.

Ringo wrote some songs which are worth listening to, "It Don't come easy" standing tall amongst them, but check out "Photograph" which he wrote with George Harrison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

McCartney is still my hero although the constant peace sign kind of irratate me. He had the show after Esptein died in the Beatles and I guess that Harrison thought that he wasn't getting enough material out with the Beatles. Lennon never got near the heights of Imagine again. Mind Games was good but not in that league. I have only the one Ringo album to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I find all of their solo careers very hit and miss - I think if you were to gather up the truly great solo tracks you'd have enough for one double CD, and that would include some Ringo material. It would virtually all be pre-1975 as well - I love the Beatles, but I never listen to any of their solo albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm not sure how many people realize this, but the song play at the end of Lethal Weapon II is in fact George Harrison. It was a song he wrote with Tom Petty and produced with Jeff Lynne who you can hear on backing vocals.

Yeah. That's Cheer Down, an underrated 80s George track that was (wisely) included on Songs by George Harrison, the career-spanning anthology.

If I'd to pick one solo album by each of them -

John: Plastic Ono Band
    Paul: McCartney
    George: All Things Must Pass
    Ringo: Beaucoups of Blues

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Hey. Could OP possibly created a poll so us boardsies can vote on which Beatle had the best solo career?

Advertisement