Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PC won't POST

Options
  • 27-08-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an old PC here that has problems POSTing...

Long of the short, the CPU was overheating when I was asked to look at it. I fiddled around inside and it seemed the CPU fan wasn't in place properly, booted it back up, ran prime for a good few hours and got a couple of good days out of it. It was only then it started having problems posting, seemingly when any kind of input device was attached (i.e. keyboard, mouse). Oh and it stopped registering the CPU temp in Speedfan. It's since gotten worse, it will only POST after I clear the CMOS now. But when it does POST, it boots into Windows fine and works like there is not a single thing wrong with it.

It's given 3 different errors, what I think is a memory error from the beep codes (sounds like 1-3-1, but it's AMI Bios), Floppy controller failure, and CMOS battery low. My guess is the mobo is on the way out, but as I'm no expert I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions?

Specs:
    Intel Celeron D 340 (Socket 478)
    PCCHIPs M963GV v3.3A
    768MB DDR266 RAM
    Radeon 9200SE
    Generic Floppy, Netword card, IDE DVD-RW & HDD.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like CMOS. Try replacing the battery before you bin the mobo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Thanks Solitaire, but it didn't work. Noticed the actual battery holder is quite a bit wobbly though. New mobo so do you think?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If a new CR2025/2032/whatever won't cut it odds are the mobo's on the way out :(

This ain't good, as S478 is now very obsolete. Have fun trying to find a replacement! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

pfft... obsolete my arse, have another one in the house running fine. This one is just lazy. ;)

I'm guessing this is about as good as I can get? Price seems a bit steep for something so 'mature.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

pfft... obsolete my arse, have another one in the house running fine. This one is just lazy. ;)

I'm guessing this is about as good as I can get? Price seems a bit steep for something so 'mature.'
    Think I might have one from and old HP, I'll have a look tomo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement