Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Home from Gatwick

Options
  • 27-08-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi

Travelling over in a few weeks for the Villa game. I presume that this game is now locked down as a 3pm Saturday kickoff.

Best option back seems to be a flight leaving Gatwick at 20.25. Is this do-able. Sitting in the Paxton. I am thinking that we should be at Tottenham Hale by 5.30 (we take the shortest route through the housing estates), about half an hour to Victoria - say 6.15 with waiting time - so we would be hoping to get the 6.30 Gatwick Express which would arrive at the airport at 7pm

Have people done this. Does it sound right. Does it take long to transfer from tube to train at Victoria (something in my mind that you used to have to walk up the road a few hundred yards). is it far from Gatwick train station to terminal (presumably it is similar to Stansted)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

would say game is defo 3 on the sat now thanks to Vienna.

You should make that provided there are no tube outages etc that day.
    Check TFL.gov.uk to see if outages are planned.

transfer in Victoria is fine, same as all other stations really will take a few mins but nothing mad.

Dont use the express if you can help it. Check southern railways timetable. I flew in there last Wed for the game and prebooked a oneway ticket with southern to vic for £3.50 verus £16.50 for express. Express took 30 mins, my train took 32 mins.

other option might be go to Northumberland park after game and get train to liverpool st and use tube from there to victoria.If you get lucky with trains you could be in liverpool st by the time you have walked to Hale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Mullo76 wrote: »
    would say game is defo 3 on the sat now thanks to Vienna.

You should make that provided there are no tube outages etc that day.
    Check TFL.gov.uk to see if outages are planned.

transfer in Victoria is fine, same as all other stations really will take a few mins but nothing mad.

Dont use the express if you can help it. Check southern railways timetable. I flew in there last Wed for the game and prebooked a oneway ticket with southern to vic for £3.50 verus £16.50 for express. Express took 30 mins, my train took 32 mins.

other option might be go to Northumberland park after game and get train to liverpool st and use tube from there to victoria.If you get lucky with trains you could be in liverpool st by the time you have walked to Hale.

great point bout Southern Trains being way cheaper. have used them before myself but best to check ahead cos I got one of their ones last year and it made lots of stops taking over an hour:confused: First Capital Connect also run trains to Gatwick from London Bridge. http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks guys. Sounds like it is possible
    Quick question: Interesting to see the mention of a cheap train option from Victoria to Gatwick. Is there anything similar from Stansted to Tottenham Hale - or is it just the Express

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

WHL wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it is possible
    Quick question: Interesting to see the mention of a cheap train option from Victoria to Gatwick. Is there anything similar from Stansted to Tottenham Hale - or is it just the Express

The only cheap option is to get a off peak ret from stansted to nothumberland park. Works out at 15.90 rather than the 24-26 for the express. You can use the express trains but you are suppose to cross over the platform and get the train back one stop to northhumberland but you can just walk out of the station instead. Play dumb if stopped not that I know anyone that has ever been stopped - no barriers.

To make this option even cheaper you can use the group save 3/4 for this ticket meaning if there are 3 or 4 of you, you only pay for 2 tickets bring it down to roughly £8 each ret for 4 and £11 each ret for 3 of you. You must travel together on these.

As there are a fair few going to the Villa match I will see who is on same flights over and back and see if we can organise a few of these group save tickets to save a few bob.

Advertisement