Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Mature Students Orientation Week

Options
  • 27-08-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm starting as a mature student in Trinity next month but I still haven't got any information about the mature student week which is supposed to be the week before freshers week i.e. two weeks from now.
    I got the information pack on freshers week in the post today it included a timetable for registration, library tours, etc. during freshers week but didn't mention the mature student week.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether mature students can register, join societies and get the tours etc. the week preceding freshers week i.e. is the mature student week like a version of freshers week for oldies?
    Or, do we have to attend freshers week to register and join socs etc.?
    If that is the case then I'm assuming the mature students week would be similar to the information day that was held during the summer (June, July?), dealing with financial issues, study, childminding etc.

Appreciate any info as I have to know when I should head up to Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I get the impression it's both.

Also looking for info on mature student week!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Congratulations both of ye! Well done on getting in and everything, what will you be doing?

so, mature student week is more a "pep week" for maturies. I didn't do it, as i had already been to trinity and had just graduated 3 years before, and was basically told there was no point in me doing it. It's just stuff like library tours, how to log on to college network, how to use on line mail/library search, stuff like that. Plus there'll be a good mix of students, so the opportunity to meet other maturies from your faculty/course ahead of time. It is worth doing if you're not from dublin and are not familiar with trinity, or if you've been out of education for a long time. It's not obligatory and if you're a recent graduate/fairly computer savvy, it may be too 'simple' for you. But as i say there are benefits.

It is not freshers week. you will not be able to join societies, meet youngies etc. It is purely for mature students to get to grips with some facets of college, and meet other matures. There is no iron stomach, no beer coupons, and no 18 year olds :D

I think you should have had the infor by now- You could ring the mature student office for more information, chat about it, they are pretty helpful. just look them up on the homepage, think geraldine is the mature student officer.

I've mentioned before, if people wanted a bit of a tour around college/coffee, i'm happy to oblige, i'm not far from campus, and know what it's like to be new somewhere! or any other questions just give shout

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I attended last year and I would suggest you attending also. Some of the talks were boring alright but it allowed me to get a feel for the campus so I wasn't completely lost come the craziness of Freshers Week (because it is crazy. Front Square, OMG! :eek: )

I also met a fellow (youngish) maturie so we met up at Fresher's Week and it didn't seem as intimidating. You may also meet people from your class.

From my own experience, it did settle my nerves a little bit.

I only just emailed the mature student officer there asking does she need volunteers for the week so if she gets back to me, I'll let you know any information I get. :)

I've just been in contact with the Mature Student Officer. The information has just been posted out so you should receive it today or tomorrow. It will be the week preceeding Fresher's week so 13th September.

I'll be helping out on the first day so keep a look out for me. :)

I received it today, an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 buzzer21

I got the info in the post today as well. I will probably be attending, at least on the Monday anyway. I'm doing an economics/philosophy TSM btw. I'm 23 and mature is not an adjective that people would normally use to describe me :o

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NiamhTCD

I got mine today too, looking forward to starting. Might attend on the monday to get a tour of the sports centre in the afternoon.

Its not long at all now, I'm most worried about how I will fit in with other people from other backrounds (council estates/country people).
    I know people say not everyone is the same etc, and they refer to bono etc But bono wasn't really from ballymun(hes from glasnevin) .

Has anyone here every know someone from a -rough- area.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

NiamhTCD wrote: »

Yeah I knew those guys that kicked that lad's head in outside Annabelle's nightclub.

What was the name of the rough area they were from again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

NiamhTCD wrote: »

I am sure most people have at one stage or another.

Some are scumbags pure and simple but others are the salt of the earth - real genuine people.

You'll be able to tell once you meet them who is a knob and who is fine.

Also note that scumbags come from all areas not just corporation estates.

Don't feed the (now thankfully banned) troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Folks, you're wasting your time. Niamh is a serial troll who will not be joining us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

I am going into 2nd year in Trinity and did the Mature Orientation Week last year. Also did some of Fresher's Week.

Found the Mature week more apt, it is reassuring to see the mix of people who are going back to education, and met some people on my course, and that was very welcome before Fresher's Week.
    Check out the timetable - you may not have something on every day depending on your course. Only society you can join that week is the mature students society. I think they did some study skills courses, and even if you take away one thing from them that is good. Also as another poster said, it is very useful to get your bearings before the bedlam of Fresher's Week and occasionally feeling very old.

Fresher's Week - check out the timetable for your course, should have some orientation sessions, and join some of the societies and clubs. This is also when you get to meet your class, and there may be one or two sessions arranged.
    Note: you may want to lower your drinking standards - 4 cans of Bavaria are €8 in the Pav - helps to blend :D

Finally - meet with your tutor (if possible) - you will get a letter from him/her saying when they are available. Always good to be able to put a face to the name, and for them to know who you are. They are there to help if you run into problems and advocate for you if necessary. Always good to have the first meeting when things are going well ;)

I'll be there Monday morning helping with giving out information packs. So come and say hello! I'll be the youngish, tall maturie with red hair. :)

I'd defo recommend coming along to get yourself familiar with the campus and you'll probably get to meet others in your class.

How young is youngish? :pac:

Tragedy wrote: »
    How young is youngish? :pac:

Younger than you anyways! :p

I find that hard to believe when I'm 17!(+8)

I find that hard to believe when I'm 17!(+8)

What course you doing?

Actually maybe I'm not younger than you! :)

BESS, should be a good few matures(and non mature but 19-22 year olds) in it I reckon

BESS, should be a good few matures(and non mature but 19-22 year olds) in it I reckon

Yep, for sure. There were quite a few in my class that did gap years or changed courses.

I did BESS or something like it first time around [Economics/Sociology TSM] :D Due to the sociology/arts aspect of this course there was lots of maturo's. As you say, a few in the 35+ category, but also a lot in the 19-25 category. It is a massive class, with very few hours so ideal for making friends and getting to know them :D

• Advertisement

Anyone go today and how did they find it? I'm just going in for the maths and stats tue/wed/thursday.

Yeah, I did. And no-one came up to me. :( Heartbroken.

:pac:

:( so sad larianne!!! was it not that busy?

Feu wrote: »
    :( so sad larianne!!! was it not that busy?

Yes, it was!! There was about 130 people there. I'm not that scary looking. :o

Advertisement