Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

yes, Marty did play something yesterday by the Red Priest or il Prete Rosso, as Vivaldi is sometimes called: the 2nd movement of 'Winter' from the 4 Seasons played by the lovely Anne-Sophie Mutter.

Crikey, Marty can't even play a snatch of the Four Seasons properly. Lovely Anne-Sophie - but a vile recording. And you almost cant miss picking a good one : Biondi, Sparf, Lamon, Podger, Carmignola,Onofri, Kennedy. (Go for Lamon if you want the 2nd mvt of Winter).
    The Mutter effort (great though she can be) is unlistenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Almaviva wrote: »
    Crikey, Marty can't even play a snatch of the Four Seasons properly. Lovely Anne-Sophie - but a vile recording. And you almost cant miss picking a good one : Biondi, Sparf, Lamon, Podger, Carmignola,Onofri, Kennedy. (Go for Lamon if you want the 2nd mvt of Winter).
    The Mutter effort (great though she can be) is unlistenable.

I realise that this performance is towards one pole of the spectrum of performance practice, but it is in its own terms very fine. There are many recordings that barely achieve competence; this performance brings a romantically-informed insight to bear on this rather hackneyed work. (I love Podger myself.) It is of value that gifted performers should try to extend our range as listeners, by breaching our expectations. The rich and warm tone, the impressive weight of the solo entries especially on the down-bow articulations, and the carefully judged use of vibrato combine to create something exotic yet palatable. Marty is to be commended for serving such a plum pudding of a performance to us, even early in the morning. We can have too much of the astringent period-performance-based style; there is something rich and voluptuous about this, almost as if Stokowski himself were the violinist. What more could we ask of our favourite programme? Marty shows himself to be a breacher of boundaries here, as elsewhere.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

(And thanks again for the off-thread messages of support and agreement with the ideas I have posted here; it is rewarding and comforting to realise that there are so many readers who appreciate an effort to moderate the otherwise almost unfettered unfair criticism of MITM.)

Good man Hugo, ya mad thing ya. There's only yerself publicy defending that steaming pile o' crap that is 'Marty In The Morning'.
    It is a show so poor with a music selection so crazy that Hospital Radio management would blush if it was on it's schedule.
    So along with the many tens (maybe hundreds!) of thousands of listeners who tell you they listen, but not the JNLR, we have the army of off-thread supporters of MITM!
    Fact is that the JNLR survey (yes, yes I know you don't accept it) says that MITM is still the least listened to daily strand show on RTE Lyric FM, although having posted an increase after it's first year on air.
    Meanwhile, Lyric listeners are betrayed and license fee payers continue to be robbed.
    Will MITM see another year on air at Lyric? The new DG may be about to get serious about's RTE's public service committments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I realise that this performance is towards one pole of the spectrum of performance practice, but it is in its own terms very fine. There are many recordings that barely achieve competence; this performance brings a romantically-informed insight to bear on this rather hackneyed work. (I love Podger myself.)
    Hugo Brady Brown

You are asking for hackneyed if you think there is any merit in 'romantically-informed' baroque music. Please.
    Not that anyone was expecting you to accept criticism on anything with any link to MITM. Hastening to Godwins Law taking its natural course, I can presume that should MW be criticised here for some passing mention of Hitler, you would treat us to a treatise on how Herr Hitler was infact a rather splendid gent, who did countless selfless fine acts for humanity, was never given his due for his efforts to unite Europe in glorious harmony, was just misunderstood, and should be commended for his progress with the Jewish Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I would like to make it clear to all I did not intend to infer that there is anything mean about the streets of our loverly Limeric. Hugo must answer to that. Of course I am devastated to think that the production of Limeric's finest musical outlet absconds to Montrose every morning. Yet another reason to dislike MITM. As if there were not enough already.

No doubt an outraged letter to the DG will be forthcoming.

So to continue in a more positive light I offer another track for MITM's playlist. I do feel sure that Marty would agree that tonight's selection would go well with any classical piece. Vivaldi's Four Seasons (properly played) or even Bach might provide a handy contrast. Again the selection is made with an eye to increasing the listener-ship away from the dreaded 'golden circle' (wherever that is). The tracks suitability for a hospital playlist might well be questioned but as TimmyT has already pointed out, that doesn't seem to be a consideration.
    peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

[QUOTE=HugoBradyBrown;75290649 Marty is to be commended for serving such a plum pudding of a performance to us, ... Marty shows himself to be a breacher of boundaries here, as elsewhere.

Hugo Brady Brown[/QUOTE]

Given the Nevin Maguire connection, it is hardly off thread to comment that "Mart" (rhyming slang prohibited ) seems more focussed on the main course then the desert. A dogs dinner anyone? It's pedigree, chum.

doomed wrote: »
    Given the Nevin Maguire connection, it is hardly off thread to comment that "Mart" (rhyming slang prohibited ) seems more focussed on the main course then the desert. A dogs dinner anyone? It's pedigree, chum.

Can it really be possible that listeners to RTE Lyric FM, people who might consider themselves more cultured, more educated, more self-controlled and generally more adult than the listeners to more pedestrian radio stations, can contain among their number people who will post comments of this nature?

Is anyone improved by a jot or a tittle by this kind of thing?

A morning with Marty would, I feel, demonstrate to all how it is possible to be both witty and with-it: Marty's suavity on the show is a demonstration of how a sophisticated and cultivated broadcaster comports himself, while never allowing his standards to slip.

Hugo Brady Brown

Good man Hugo, ya mad thing ya. There's only yerself publicy defending that steaming pile o' crap that is 'Marty In The Morning'.
    It is a show so poor with a music selection so crazy that Hospital Radio management would blush if it was on it's schedule.
    So along with the many tens (maybe hundreds!) of thousands of listeners who tell you they listen, but not the JNLR, we have the army of off-thread supporters of MITM!
    Fact is that the JNLR survey (yes, yes I know you don't accept it) says that MITM is still the least listened to daily strand show on RTE Lyric FM, although having posted an increase after it's first year on air.
    Meanwhile, Lyric listeners are betrayed and license fee payers continue to be robbed.
    Will MITM see another year on air at Lyric? The new DG may be about to get serious about's RTE's public service committments!

Dear All,

My understanding is that MITM is with us for the long haul. Do listen some morning, and take note of the ceaseless stream of positive and constructive comments and gentle requests from ordinary TV tax-payers to the programme, and do note how many of them take the trouble to say how much they enjoy the show.

Would anyone expect the first show of the day, the one that gets the RTE Lyric FM metaphorical Aga lighting, to have a huge audience? Marty is like John the Baptist, preparing the ground for who comes after him. He, as it were, defrosts RTE Lyric FM after a night on automatic pilot (to mix my metaphors), and he, as it were, gets its engines on full throttle, before passing over to his first co-pilot at 10.00 a.m., when Mr Herriott takes command. Then, as the day wears away, through Liz, John and Niall, a crescendo builds, as more and more listeners come on board. This is an organically growing audience across the day, and is in the expected nature of things.

I also need, more in sorrow than in anger, to take issue with the suggestion that only I appreciate MITM: I believe I already referred here to an article in the Sunday Independent by one of Ireland's leading journalistic figures, Aengus Fanning, in which Marty is praised highly for his broadcasting skills in bringing soothing and appropriate music to us in the early hours. No, I am not alone, but I have the leading domestic quality Sunday newspaper in the land with me in this!

MITM is the first stage rocket of RTE Lyric FM, getting the station off the launch pad, so that others later in the day can take it to even greater heights. The later presenters may garner the public credit, but MITM is the foundation on which their success is built: capture the audience early and they will remain with you always. Let us be thankful for what has been given to us.

Hugo Brady Brown

Dear All,

My understanding is that MITM is with us for the long haul. Do listen some morning, and take note of the ceaseless stream of positive and constructive comments and gentle requests from ordinary TV tax-payers to the programme, and do note how many of them take the trouble to say how much they enjoy the show.

Would anyone expect the first show of the day, the one that gets the RTE Lyric FM metaphorical Aga lighting, to have a huge audience? Marty is like John the Baptist, preparing the ground for who comes after him. He, as it were, defrosts RTE Lyric FM after a night on automatic pilot (to mix my metaphors), and he, as it were, gets its engines on full throttle, before passing over to his first co-pilot at 10.00 a.m., when Mr Herriott takes command. Then, as the day wears away, through Liz, John and Niall, a crescendo builds, as more and more listeners come on board. This is an organically growing audience across the day, and is in the expected nature of things.

I also need, more in sorrow than in anger, to take issue with the suggestion that only I appreciate MITM: I believe I already referred here to an article in the Sunday Independent by one of Ireland's leading journalistic figures, Aengus Fanning, in which Marty is praised highly for his broadcasting skills in bringing soothing and appropriate music to us in the early hours. No, I am not alone, but I have the leading domestic quality Sunday newspaper in the land with me in this!

MITM is the first stage rocket of RTE Lyric FM, getting the station off the launch pad, so that others later in the day can take it to even greater heights. The later presenters may garner the public credit, but MITM is the foundation on which their success is built: capture the audience early and they will remain with you always. Let us be thankful for what has been given to us.

Hugo Brady Brown

John the baptist. Nice image. Where is Salome when you need her?

Sunday Independent - a quality newspaper???

I was reminded of Marty & Neven yesterday as I listened to Gay talking in extenso about the famous Tea Brack from way back on the old GB Show; the recipe is going to appear on Gay's page on the RTE Lyric FM site later today; see

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/gaybyrne/

However, I was particularly struck by the fact the Neven had a completely (though equally toothsome) recipe on MIMT on Friday to the one that he has in his wonderful page in the Irish Farmers' Journal.

On MITM, he has his recipe for Chestnut and Wild Mushroom soup.

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty/1493537.html

In the Journal (in the Irish Country Living supplement, pages 18-9) dated 5 November (but available from 3 November, last Thursday), Neven has two (two!) recipes, one for 'Chorizo and New Potato Tortilla', and the other for 'Satay Vegetable Noodles'. There is also a reference to what must be a really useful 'app', named "Cook with Neven", it's available for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad for just €4.99! What we are getting from Marty & Neven is culinary sophistication as well as musical; the rat pack and the best of grub. (To paraphrase Gay last Sunday week, we will be well-cuisined if we follow suit.!

Marty, Neven & Gay all keeping the wolf from the door, and the kitchen musical!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement

I think the tin hat was placed on all criticism of MITM this morning. Our Marty had that young and strikingly beautiful Welsh linnet, Katherine Jenkins (engaged to Gethin Jones, whom we last saw giving a very fine account of himself in the 2007 series of Strictly, incidentally), and she said that she pays no attention whatever to any negative criticism, (though who could possibly criticise anyone so young, pretty and musical, it is hard to say). (Perhaps she meant something on Boards!). In any case, Mart, in his avuncular way, immediately stepped in to commend her strongly for this intelligent stance, and, by implication, indicated to the listening masses that MITM, too, is deaf to ill-informed or ignorant criticism. It was a heartwarming and hopeful moment towards the close of one of the best editions of the show yet broadcast. Miss Jenkins will be returning to Montrose tomorrow morning, to pick up on where she left off.

Hugo Brady Brown

In the midst of Hugo's tedious promoting of the bits of Lyric that he likes, the stuff that shouldn't be on Lyric in the first place, he raises a good example of the unsuitability of this show for lyric.
    In spite of Katherine Jenkins being a distinctly below average singer, although a marketing triumph, the MITM team gives us not one but two parts of an interview with her.
    This is the sort of thing that really is not necessary. One slot plus a podcast would have been offensive enough to those who love good singers, but no.
    Ahead of the KJ Concert, the promoter will get more than a promoter expects to get from a national radio station.
    Would that mean that someone else will be getting more than he or she expects to get also?
    Add to this - Mona Lisa sung by Harry Connick Jnr, Moon River - Andy Williams, Howard Keel 'Bless You're Beautiful Hide'(!) and Paul Simon again, Bobby Jaysus Darin again and John Barry again.
    This is not Lyric's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

In the midst of Hugo's tedious promoting of the bits of Lyric that he likes, the stuff that shouldn't be on Lyric in the first place, he raises a good example of the unsuitability of this show for lyric.
    In spite of Katherine Jenkins being a distinctly below average singer, although a marketing triumph, the MITM team gives us not one but two parts of an interview with her.
    This is the sort of thing that really is not necessary. One slot plus a podcast would have been offensive enough to those who love good singers, but no.
    Ahead of the KJ Concert, the promoter will get more than a promoter expects to get from a national radio station.
    Would that mean that someone else will be getting more than he or she expects to get also?
    Add to this - Mona Lisa sung by Harry Connick Jnr, Moon River - Andy Williams, Howard Keel 'Bless You're Beautiful Hide'(!) and Paul Simon again, Bobby Jaysus Darin again and John Barry again.
    This is not Lyric's business.

It is definitely time to pull the plug on Lyric FM if this is the type of rubbish they are going to broadcast. This is a complete waste of tax payers money. Lyric FM was a wonderful idea but unfortunately it has been ruined by the likes of Marty Wheelan and Gay Byrne.
    Pull the plug and spend the money on something useful

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is it in Marty's contract (or is it some kind of subliminal sponsorship deal?) that he HAS to play the "4 Seasons" at least twice a week?
    "Summer" perversely is here?!

Dear God!, make it/him stop!

MadsL wrote: »
    Is it in Marty's contract (or is it some kind of subliminal sponsorship deal?) that he HAS to play the "4 Seasons" at least twice a week?
    "Summer" perversely is here?!

Dear God!, make it/him stop!

My understanding is that such terms as suggested in the cited post do not feature in contracts here. However, I would be driven to asking what could be wrong with playing such innocuous music as Vivaldi's for ten minutes a week? It kept the nuns and girls of Venice happy for quite a time longer than that.

And this morning the performance was led by Fabio Biondi, who, with his pared-down raw tone and his intentionally slightly dubiously tuning, may give listeners that sense of danger and precariousness that they miss in the full solid opulent wide-bore glory of Anne-Sophie. Sometimes the performances of Europa Galante remind one of that vocal group La Venexiana, in terms of the intonation, the tone-quality and the overall feeling of unstable equilibrium, which leave the audience on tenterhooks throughout. There is that sense of danger, of contingency, almost of misshapenness which is, nevertheless, entirely true to the aesthetics of the Baroque, as articulated in both modern and contemporary philosophical analyses of the style in music and other art forms.

This is what Marty sets out to give us in the morning, and today's performance was very fine, very fine indeed.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I cannot read this thread any more. HBB - if you could cut your posts down to 10 or fewer lines, I might read them - can't be doing with essays.

There's no point in discussing MW anymore...most people don't want him, a smaller few do, we're never going to agree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I cannot read this thread any more. HBB - if you could cut your posts down to 10 or fewer lines, I might read them - can't be doing with essays.

There's no point in discussing MW anymore...most people don't want him, a smaller few do, we're never going to agree.

Aaah, the ol' attention-span problem! I understand and sympathise fully. This may be what is interposing itself between Marty and part of the audience, too, I shouldn't wonder. And yet my last post was only 8 lines long on a 13" monitor.

Odd, to say the least.

(Only 4 to 5 lines in this one.)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My understanding is that such terms as suggested in the cited post do not feature in contracts here. However, I would be driven to asking what could be wrong with playing such innocuous music as Vivaldi's for ten minutes a week? It kept the nuns and girls of Venice happy for quite a time longer than that.

Except it is not 10 minutes a week. In the last 2 weeks Marty has played Vivaldi no less than 9 times...

google search this "site:rte.ie/lyricfm/marty Vivaldi"

Time for a Classic FM/Radio 3 divide at Lyric perhaps...maybe Marty could be shipped off to DAB?

Except it is not 10 minutes a week. In the last 2 weeks Marty has played Vivaldi no less than 9 times...

Time for a Classic FM/Radio 3 divide at Lyric perhaps...maybe Marty could be shipped off to DAB?

The suggestion by MadsL to move Marty or MITM over to DAB transmission would be unfair. When I am in "The Country", I find that I cannot always receive DAB transmissions. We need to be fair to all listeners.

And why is Vivaldi played? Because audience focus group research has shown that for the first couple of hours of the day listeners want baroque orchestral music in quantity; it is easily integrated into their morning tasks (their ablutions and so forth), while they restart their mental 'servers' and generally bring their corporeal systems fully on-line. Vivaldi wrote acres of pretty consistent music, and his orchestral music is pretty interchangeable; consequently I see no reason to shift from the well-known concertos. Research also shows that in the morning (when MITM, as its name suggests is transmitted, at least to listeners in this time-zone) listeners want to hear familiar, not unfamiliar, music. Popular, not unpopular music.

Finally, rather than thinking always in colonial or subaltern paradigms, let us cease to compare our broadcasting landscape with that in the neighbouring island. We have no need here to have the undesirable dichotomy in broadcasting that they have there between BBC Radio 3 and ClassicFM: RTE Lyric FM keeps us all together, those who love the austere in music, and the vast majority who live & love easy listening, light classical, gentle jazz, lounge music, MOR and so forth.

Hugo Brady Brown

Performing this Google search will show that, far from being relentlessly uniform, Marty's selection is of recordings that differ one from another according to several parameters: soloists, orchestras, conductors, year of recording, performance practice and so forth. This provides both the variety that will be noticed and appreciated by the connoisseur, and simultaneously that familiarity and comfort that is the prime desideratum of the ordinary listener like ourselves in the early hours of the day, as we first inhale the healing vapours. Talk about sophistication in broadcasting!

Unity in variety: Coleridge's great theme, realised on radio by Marty and the team!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement

And why is Vivaldi played? Because audience focus group research has shown that for the first couple of hours of the day listeners want baroque orchestral music in quantity; it is easily integrated into their morning tasks (their ablutions and so forth), while they restart their mental 'servers' and generally bring their corporeal systems fully on-line.
    Tell us more about this research, please. Funny that because when Lyric started in 1999, the first breakfast programme, The Lyric Breakfast, used to start with a half hour of nothing but Baroque from 6:30 to 7. I remember it being dropped, I'm guessing because it wasn't working. of course I could be wrong about why it was dropped. Maybe the powers that be didn't have access to your 'research'.
    Marty's selection is of recordings that differ one from another according to several parameters: soloists, orchestras, conductors, year of recording, performance practice and so forth. This provides both the variety that will be noticed and appreciated by the connoisseur,
    You'll defend this fella till the end, won't ya? Anyone with a pair of working ears on them will know that the classical content of MITM is a complete afterthought. He dosen't know nor care about any of it. As long as he can get to the next Bonnie Raitt, Paul Simon, Katherine Jenkins or Peggy Lee that's all that matters to this ignorant man.
    That fact that MITM played parts of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons 9 times in 2 weeks would be news to the presenter.
    The fact that they were different versions would be news to the presenter.
    Apart from lip service to some opera lollipops, he doesn't give a tinker's curse about classical.
    MITM is embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The smell of shill off the later posts in this thread is disgusting.

mikom wrote: »
    The smell of shill off the later posts in this thread is disgusting.

I will make the presumption that this comment is an allusion to my posts. I cannot, of course, prove my independence of mind to anyone, particularly if there are any readers with closed minds here, but I would suggest to readers that nobody in RTE cares a fig for the vapid vapourings that characterise much of the Internet, and no official corporate energy would be expended on defending even a very fine programme on the Internet. These is too much important work to be done, let me assure you.

However, I appreciate the off-thread notes, private messages and personal emails that support my commonsense view of this situation. I would urge the great satisfied silent majority to communicate their views here, to drown out the small but active choir of doubters, or to mail the Head of RTE Lyric FM with their positive opinion of the programme. (We may all note the ceaseless stream of positive feedback received directly by Marty & team from the broadcasts.)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

One thing I've often wondered about former 2FM disc jockeys who subsequently end up presenting on Lyric: Have they always had an appreciation of classical music or do they look upon it purely as another job - only instead of playing Bachman Turner Overdrive, they now find themselves playing Bach instead? This is with particular reference to Lorcan Murray and the bould Marty Whelan.

Whenener I hear Lorcan Murray's voice on Lyric, I can't help but be transported back to the dulcet tones of The Rascals' Groovin On A Sunday Afternoon, which was the intro song to his Sunday programme on Radio 2, right after Larry Gogan's Ireland's Top 30, which usually saw me frantically trying to put the radio up to my tape recorder in order to record the latest hits of the day. Whenever I hear him on Lyric I have to remind myself that we're not in Kansas anymore, and that he's now a very serious classical music presenter.

So, when these guys get the gig with Lyric, does it mean they then have to go and swot up on all things classical or do they already know their Delius from their Debussy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I would urge the great satisfied silent majority... to mail the Head of RTE Lyric FM with their positive opinion of the programme.

Internal mails more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

As long as he can get to the next Bonnie Raitt, Paul Simon, Katherine Jenkins or Peggy Lee that's all that matters to this ignorant man.

Hi Timmy, did you know that Bonnie Raitt's father John was a star of the stage. He is best known for his roles in musicals such as Carousel, Oklahoma!, The Pajama Game, Carnival in Flanders, Three Wishes for Jamie and A Joyful Noise, in which he set the standard for virile, handsome, strong-voiced leading men during the golden age of the Broadway musical.

Also isn't Puccini's "Un bel di vedremo" a wonderful aria to dedicate to any happy couple. Keep it up Marty.

Ps: That fact about Bonnie's father was from Esther. I wouldn't like people to think that i was trying to claim the credit for that.
    PPs:Not sure if Marty's figures are correct concerning the number of images of Katherine Jenkins on Google Images. There are 53,900 of Marty if that's of use to anyone. Anyway thanks Esther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

So, when these guys get the gig with Lyric, does it mean they then have to go and swot up on all things classical or do they already know their Delius from their Debussy?

I remember reading an interview with Lorcan some time ago. Apparently he has a vast personal collection of music of all genres. And he knows his stuff too.

One thing I've often wondered about former 2FM disc jockeys who subsequently end up presenting on Lyric: Have they always had an appreciation of classical music or do they look upon it purely as another job - only instead of playing Bachman Turner Overdrive, they now find themselves playing Bach instead? This is with particular reference to Lorcan Murray and the bould Marty Whelan.

Whenener I hear Lorcan Murray's voice on Lyric, I can't help but be transported back to the dulcet tones of The Rascals' Groovin On A Sunday Afternoon, which was the intro song to his Sunday programme on Radio 2, right after Larry Gogan's Ireland's Top 30, which usually saw me frantically trying to put the radio up to my tape recorder in order to record the latest hits of the day. Whenever I hear him on Lyric I have to remind myself that we're not in Kansas anymore, and that he's now a very serious classical music presenter.

While Harry's point prompts thought, I think that I would demur from the proposition that 'classical' music is 'serious' music. This is the pup that the public have allowed themselves to be sold for the past several decades, in large measure by those who hold themselves to be their superiors, and who want to keep 'classical music' as a prole-free reservation.

Classical music, like all music, can be serious, or it can have a whole range of other emotional and affective connotations. Neither is it necessary, or, perhaps, even desirable, that a broadcaster should be an expert, or 'swot up' on classical music to be a success. See, for example, Paul Herriott or Eamonn Lawlor as cases in point.

A capacity to understand music as a listener, not as a performer or as a scholar, is what radio demands. By all means, go to a few concerts & recitals, read a few books, read a few CD covers, listen to a few CDs, but, above all, bring your professional abilities as a "DJ" onto what is, after all, only one more form of music station.

Presenting a radio programme containing classical music is not to perform a religious service, and it should not need to be reverential. Listening to a radio classical music programme should not be like attending a religious service; it should be simply what it is.

'Experts' and 'serious classical music' are shortcuts to deep boredom, eccentricity, oddness, loneliness and the various peculiarities of those who imagine themselves to be in some way superior to the common herd of mankind.

And it is those like Mart, who can be as serious & sensitive as they can be lighthearted and gay, who are the real lifeblood of a service like RTE Lyric FM. Wise and witty professionals all.

Hugo Brady Brown

Hugo Brady Brown

I would have no problem with a presenter who went into Lyric initially knowing nothing about classical music provided that they actually played it when they got there and had a real interest in learning about it. It could be an interesting voyage of discovery for both presenter and listener.

In Marty's case you don't even get that. You get the Marty show with 3 hours of the groovy funster.

In terms of affinity, there is really no difference between La Traviata and Tesco's salmon fillets.

• Advertisement

doomed wrote: »
    I would have no problem with a presenter who went into Lyric initially knowing nothing about classical music provided that they actually played it when they got there and had a real interest in learning about it. It could be an interesting voyage of discovery for both presenter and listener.

In Marty's case you don't even get that. You get the Marty show with 3 hours of the groovy funster.

In terms of affinity, there is really no difference between La Traviata and Tesco's salmon fillets.

Voyage of discovery my arm! We are talking about simple radio to get us up in the morning with the least resistance, through the Special K, out the door, past the school, and in to relax in the office, the cares of our home lives behind us for six hours. This, and only this, is what MITM is about. Voyages of discovery: if you want voyages of discover, try Thomas Cook!

This is what's wrong here, of course: some people think that RTE Lyric FM is about one thing, the rest know it's 'merely' a very good radio station. Goats & monkeys, it's not magic.

And, speaking from personal experience, Tesco Salmon Fillets are fine, very fine! Good bargains in the wine sale at present, too, by the way.

Hugo Brady Brown :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement