Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Today was the lowest of the low.. a 3 hour advert,

So who will we complain to? If Marty is abusing his position he should be held to account. If some restaurateur would like to start the ball rolling with a well worded letter of complaint.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

mbur wrote: »
    So who will we complain to? If Marty is abusing his position he should be held to account. If some restaurateur would like to start the ball rolling with a well worded letter of complaint.....

Lyric FM contact info here:

Address:
    RTÉ lyric fm
    Cornmarket Square,
    Limerick,
    Ireland

Telephone:
    +353 (0)61 207300

Fax:
    +353 (0)61 207390

General enquiries: lyric@rte.ie

Send an email, if they get enough complaints you never know. Something needs to change anyway in my opinion before it gets any more low brow.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I don't really have any problem with it being less highbrow than the program with Trish is. I object to the blatant pushing of one restaurant owner. And it isn't the first time. They have broadcast from that place before. This has to mean spending money on getting a crew up there to do it. They then spend hours boasting about the fine food they have been eating. When the country is in a deep recession.

I am not really worried either that it is one man (Mr Maguire) who is getting an advantage over other hotel owners. But I hate the false gushing talk and the nonsense about the place. They all seem like friends of each other.

There is the issue too that even though we all assume that all this is not corrupt it has the appearances of being unsavoury. This is as bad. Is Neven Maguire paid for his cookery piece eavery Friday or does he just get a complete programme every so often as his payment? And then the crumbs of a few books as prizes for the listeners, and one night (with wine!!!) for the top winner.

And Lyric scaled back their operation from Wexford again this year for cost reasons, but they can do this stuff from a posh restaurant that most of us couldn't afford to get into.

All I want is for Marty Wheln to play the music, tell us about it, maybe have a little light banter, but not hours and hours of talk. It doesn't have to be Beethoven all the time, we can have the Beatles. But less talk and less roving up to hotels to meet your mates. Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Safe to tune in again, if I heard correctly earlier (I was still half sleep) Trish is on for the next three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

...although there's something from The Jungle Book being played now.

Heard #Trish today & its lovely. I noticed she keep all Marty's things like 'Marty Recommends' & "What ARE We Talking About?" The music is good but she could be a bit more chatty than she is. Maybe she is not experienced yet for the off the cuff stuff but there's a happy medium. Half of #Marty & half of Trish might be the way to go. Is he back tomorrow? Missed the last bit of the show.
    He had an interesting interview yesterday with Jack-L who turned out to be an interesting chap even, if he isn't a true crossover artist.

I heard on another radio station [!!!] :) ] about the Jacobs Awards for Radio that were out today. I thought when I didn't hear about Lyric that they hadn't won anything, but I checked up because I knew that wouldn't be true. But its nearly that bad. This really good station has only won two prizes but they used to be RTE "Station of The Year". I don't think they have changed that much so why aren't they still Station Of The Year"?:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    but she could be a bit more chatty than she is.

No, just no.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

why aren't they still Station Of The Year"?:mad:

Er, the wafflng self-absorbed clown with the abysmal lack of musical sophistication that is Marty Whelan?

I got it wrong about Lyric and the award they have. It was the "New York Festival" "Station of the Year" that they won. And they still are, because I heard it over the "signature tune" today for one of the programs. They're stlll really good most of the time. George Hamillton is on tomorrow and Trish Taylor as well earlier. Keep it up Lyric!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whelan is like a cancer, multiplying in many directions and bringing down the Station from the bow. He needs to be cut out immediately, you do not let a cancer fester, it will prove fatal in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Whelan is like a cancer, multiplying in many directions and bringing down the Station from the bow. .

In medical science this process is known as martyfication. It can be quite distressing for those who care for the patient.

Actually they don't need to give MW the boot. A more humane solution would be to bring him back to 2FM where his "talents" might be more at home. He could play what he likes and babble inanely to his hearts content. It might even be heartwarming to see him frolic in his natural habitat.

When I turned on my computer I got an email from boards.ie and it frightened me and made me sad. It's a terrible thing to say about anyone what was said by someone during the night. In relation to Marty Whelan's program me all I was doing was objecting to the programme with Neven Maguire that seemed like an inappropriate 3-hour advertisement for the restaurant (and which the programme had done previously as well). I believe that he can be a good compere of the programme if this stain on it can be prevented from happening again. I don't want to be associated with those harsh comments about Mr Whelan because nobody deserves that and he is actually good at what he does most of the time, like Trish Tailor and all the rest of them. I'm really enjoying George Hamilton on Lyric this morning at present.

When I turned on my computer I got an email from boards.ie and it frightened me and made me sad. It's a terrible thing to say about anyone what was said by someone during the night. In relation to Marty Whelan's program me all I was doing was objecting to the programme with Neven Maguire that seemed like an inappropriate 3-hour advertisement for the restaurant (and which the programme had done previously as well). I believe that he can be a good compere of the programme if this stain on it can be prevented from happening again. I don't want to be associated with those harsh comments about Mr Whelan because nobody deserves that and he is actually good at what he does most of the time, like Trish Tailor and all the rest of them. I'm really enjoying George Hamilton on Lyric this morning at present.

Don't worry Yvonne. Those e-mails are automatic and you get one whenever someone contributes to a thread you follow. There is nothing sinister.

As to the harsh comments, I suppose its a conservation issue. For a lot of us Lyric was a haven, a place of beauty with nice people who cared about music and wanted to share it with us. It wasn't about inflicting their personality.

Then RTE decided to use it as a way of giving some of their surplus or retired "stars" an ego boost. With MITM its almost like they are rubbing our noses in it, inflicting on us the most unsuitable ill informed person they could find, bringing the worst aspects of the "yap yap yap, look at me" radio culture.

Do you have a personal favourite beauty spot? Would you be happy if they built a neon lit noisy fast food joint in the middle of it? Nobody is saying that there is no market for fast food or that there are not places where such outlets are required. This just isn't one of them.

Thank you for the explanation. The words that were used by someone else were very ugly, but I think people must be angry. Even so I think the programme is good - no matter what people say to criticise it. It reminds me of the way I used to get up years ago listening to Mike Murphy on the old RTE Radio before Radio 2 got going. Now with such a long news bulleting on "Morning Ireland" this is the only place we can hear cheery music for our age group to get us going. I feel its too early to be listening to classical music any serious way. You need to be relaxed to do that, and I like it myself when I can put my feet up.

He has a good way with him and he gets the best out of the AA Roadshow people too. So even traffic jams can be fun (sort of :) ).

As well as that I don't think he is near retiring age (Marty:- He is only 50 something so he must have a good few years left.

But no more of a whole show handed over to Neven Maguire please Mr Whelan? He is fine for the Friday cookery section but any more looks not right even if its not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

As well as that I don't think he is near retiring age (Marty:- He is only 50 something so he must have a good few years left.
    2FM please do the decent thing and take your wayward child home.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Thank you for the explanation. The words that were used by someone else were very ugly, but I think people must be angry. Even so I think the programme is good - no matter what people say to criticise it. It reminds me of the way I used to get up years ago listening to Mike Murphy on the old RTE Radio before Radio 2 got going. Now with such a long news bulleting on "Morning Ireland" this is the only place we can hear cheery music for our age group to get us going. I feel its too early to be listening to classical music any serious way. You need to be relaxed to do that, and I like it myself when I can put my feet up.

He has a good way with him and he gets the best out of the AA Roadshow people too. So even traffic jams can be fun (sort of :) ).

But no more of a whole show handed over to Neven Maguire please Mr Whelan? He is fine for the Friday cookery section but any more looks not right even if its not!!

I smell a rat, only 7 posts on boards, all pro marty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hi Marty. Are you taking requests? Could you play 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton on tomorrows show?

• Advertisement

One problem I have with Marty's show is that they put up the music listing late or even not at all. I was wanting today to check what was the secondlast piece he played but it isn't on the site, before the one from Les Mis. It was a nice interview about Brian May too though. I didn't know he is living here now with a girlfriend from Dundrum. Marty said she is a Dun-drummer!!! They should really put up the music straight away. John Kelly's show's better at it. [And George too actually but that is only on a Saturday.)

Turned on this morning and found Marty Whelan has left the program. Trish Taylor is doing it now. I was actually a bit disappointed because he is so sunny, but Trish is lovely too, and her music choices are actually some what like Marty's.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Turned on this morning and found Marty Whelan has left the program. Trish Taylor is doing it now. I was actually a bit disappointed because he is so sunny, but Trish is lovely too, and her music choices are actually some what like Marty's.

Has Marty actually left??? Or was he just on a day/week off? If he's gone, I might start tuning in regularly again - I find all the inane chatter insufferable, haven't listened in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My Granny has been giving out that Marty is gone, if anyone knows where he is going I'd love to be able to tell her.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Has Marty actually left??? Or was he just on a day/week off? If he's gone, I might start tuning in regularly again - I find all the inane chatter insufferable, haven't listened in quite a while.

Doubt it. Too early for Christmas presents. Anyway its still called Marty in the Morning and even Trish had to play some of Marty's rubbish.

There was a shift away from the Marty way of doing the show today, music-wise. It isn't dreary but it is a bit highbrow. Trish is good though and I think she has her feet under the table there for the long haul. He might have gone on to greater things. #TrishTaylor

How do I log off boards.ie? I'm trying to for a while but I cannot see where to do so?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sadly, he's just gone for the week. I listened to some of Trish this morning and she did play "That's Amore" so she's obviously reading from the Marty play book but I will tune in for the rest of the week.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

There was a shift away from the Marty way of doing the show today, music-wise. It isn't dreary but it is a bit highbrow. Trish is good though and I think she has her feet under the table there for the long haul. He might have gone on to greater things. #TrishTaylor

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Reports of El Prat's departure it seems are sadly premature......Trish mentioned he'll be back to allleviate the budget blues tomorrow :( probably with a backlog of "Hugo's" letters to the editor ready to impose upon us among other Whelan-style 'delights'.

Was hoping against hope there for a Marty-free week but three mornings in Trishs' company is welcome compensation :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement