Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

General question for you classical buffs, is a conventional radio station actually the best way for RTE to meet your listening needs? Supposing they were to close down Lyric and load all the classical music in the world onto a giant ipod, rig it up to a broadcasting desk, and leave it on shuffle, would that be nearly/just as good, or even better for you. I guess you would probably need to announce pieces, but I'm sure that could be automated too...

But we all already have our own Ipods with our favourite tracks loaded on. I listen to shows like Niall Carroll's or Liz Nolan's to hear a different choice of music, with some interesting chat. Even the morning slot is worth while when El Prat (sorry if the name calling offends, but it suits him) when any of the backup presenters fills in.

The problem with the three bad 'uns in Lyric (Prat, Gabyo and Hamilton) is that they think they're the attraction, not the music. And RTE Management allow them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

You are on to something there, Loafing Oaf.
    If there is or will be a cheaper way of delivering quality classical music to those who want it - around 250,000 listeners a week - it should be explored.

A small number of knowledgeable, engaging presenter/producers with live music from our orchestras/ensembles and abroad as well as opera from the Met, intelligent speech based around these themes etc. That to me would be fine.

Maybe if DAB was available everywhere or wi fi was free or inexpensive everywhere, it could be done.

What boils my pee is that RTE committed on the instructions of the then Minister, Michael D Higgins, to provide a service of this kind. Now for great swathes of the day - Marty in the Morning, John Kelly Ensemble and Blue of the Night, Gay Byrne - we don't get it, but we still pay for it.

Denmark's Broadcasting Corporation recently downgraded the music and cultural channel there forcing it to share an FM network with another service. This was due to a funding crisis caused by a budget overspend which saw a clear out of senior management at DR.

Different World.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Knutsack wrote: »
    You are on to something there, Loafing Oaf.
    If there is or will be a cheaper way of delivering quality classical music to those who want it - around 250,000 listeners a week - it should be explored.

This brings me on to the ethical question over spending license fee money on a minority interest station like Lyric, most of whose listeners are presumably well-heeled and already possess or can easily access the bulk of the classical repertoire elsewhere. Is it fair to ask the general license fee payer to subsidise the pleasures of the 'elite' in this way?

This brings me on to the ethical question over spending license fee money on a minority interest station like Lyric, most of whose listeners are presumably well-heeled and already possess or can easily access the bulk of the classical repertoire elsewhere. Is it fair to ask the general license fee payer to subsidise the pleasures of the 'elite' in this way?

I don't follow sports, so should all sports channels be banned?

Dirigent wrote: »
    I don't follow sports, so should all sports channels be banned?

Of course not banned, but now that you bring up sports, there's an IMO comparable with RTE broadcasting stuff like Premiership and Champions League that can be easily accessed on other channels. I think in these straitened times you have to ask hard questions about where license fee funds should be spent...

• Advertisement

Lot of assumptions there, my friend Loafing.

Classical/art music may seem elite to you. Not to me. I grew up in a lower middle class household in provincial Ireland where we were not what is thought of as 'well heeled'.
    In my case my parents liked classical/opera/operetta. The dad next door liked Roger Whittaker. Next door to them, it was Country n'Irish.

I have 5 siblings. None of us are millionaires, but we like Classical music (except one who hates it) and are all enthusiastic about local, grassroots music projects like choirs, youth orchestras, bands etc.

Once in a while we'll take a trip to the National Concert Hall for a Symphony Concert or the like. A ticket can be had for 15 euros, depending on the concert.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will bring their everyman music to Ireland on the advice of their accountant. I doubt there was a ticket cheaper than 55 euros that went on sale.
    Granted, there is probably some subsidy in my 15 euro ticket. But that's what Western European State broadcasters and cultural institutions have committed to do, using public money.

You should ask yourself about the wisdom propping up 2FM with public money, which is surely now happening, considering that are many alternatives in the private sector and it is probably distorting the market.

Lot of assumptions there, my friend Loafing.

Classical/art music may seem elite to you. Not to me. I grew up in a lower middle class household in provincial Ireland where we were not what is thought of as 'well heeled'.
    In my case my parents liked classical/opera/operetta. The dad next door liked Roger Whittaker. Next door to them, it was Country n'Irish.

I have 5 siblings. None of us are millionaires, but we like Classical music (except one who hates it) and are all enthusiastic about local, grassroots music projects like choirs, youth orchestras, bands etc.

Once in a while we'll take a trip to the National Concert Hall for a Symphony Concert or the like. A ticket can be had for 15 euros, depending on the concert.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will bring their everyman music to Ireland on the advice of their accountant. I doubt there was a ticket cheaper than 55 euros that went on sale.
    Granted, there is probably some subsidy in my 15 euro ticket. But that's what Western European State broadcasters have committed to do, using public money.

You should ask yourself about the wisdom propping up 2FM with public money, which is surely now happening, considering that are many alternatives in the private sector and it is probably distorting the market.

Oh yes, I think there are even stronger questions over the existence of 2FM, if it is no longer making a buck. Indeed, the rationale for any sort of music-based radio station is becoming questionable in an era of virtually free on tap music of all kinds.
    But re the Lyric, the 'well heeled' thing probably took us down the wrong track, the core point is that is that it is broadcasting a minority interest type of music that can be very easily accessed elsewhere cheaply or for free. I think there has to be a question mark over spending millions on it at a time when RTE's funding is severely squeezed...

It's not really practical, even for rich dudes, to assemble a comprehensive collection of music from over a thousand years.
    There are constant updates and re-interpretations of even the best known classical pieces as new generations of preformers are recorded.
    In short no one recorded performance of this music is ever the same. I know this can be said of Bruce Springsteen etc. live compared to the recording, but not to the same extent.
    So, I believe that if any music station has a right to be subsidised - as long as it's cost effective, then it is a national music and arts station. Which probably is not so much Lyric any more.

Incidentally, in terms of JNLR reach in Dublin, I believe Lyric to be more listened to than the likes of Nova, Phantom, 4FM and Sunshine and only point or two behind 2 FM. (Reach - all adults over 15, not share)
    http://www.bai.ie/?p=2865

So which one is the minority station?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

born2bwild wrote: »
    I don't like the name -calling on this thread.

This 'El Prat' nonsense is juvenile and should not be allowed. It's ugly and abusive groupthink - everyone is calling Marty Whelan names so it must be acceptable.

You are bullies - nothing more, nothing less.

We are collectively expressing our dislike for the mans radio show. if you put yourself out there you are subject to criticism. It's up to him to shake off the El Pratt moniker and prove us wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I have just been listening to Gay and I remembered I wanted to say something here. I think George is really good the way he makes music acceptable to the men by the way he brings it into sport. But I can't ""get"" John Kelly at all. I know everyone says it is great radio but I think it's the wrong kind of thing at that time of day. The mix is too much. It's OKay for an expert like him to sink himself into all this music of different kinds but we can't all love all the "world" music he likes and the really heavy classical stuff and the modern classical stuff he plays.

The Blue of Night is great though even if it is the same programme at a different time, sort of anyway. I think our Bodies Clocks get set and we can love this with Karl or Eamon Lenihan in the evening. I wish they would run a few listener competitions though like Marty does because I can listen to the Blue of Night for longer than I can manage Marty.

I missed him on Friday but I suppose he had Neven and Hugo and the AA girl and all the rest as usual. I cannot stand one of these but I am not allowed to say here which one I think is ruining a fine programme! : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I have just been listening to Gay and I remembered I wanted to say something here. I think George is really good the way he makes music acceptable to the men by the way he brings it into sport. But I can't ""get"" John Kelly at all. I know everyone says it is great radio but I think it's the wrong kind of thing at that time of day. The mix is too much. It's OKay for an expert like him to sink himself into all this music of different kinds but we can't all love all the "world" music he likes and the really heavy classical stuff and the modern classical stuff he plays.

The Blue of Night is great though even if it is the same programme at a different time, sort of anyway. I think our Bodies Clocks get set and we can love this with Karl or Eamon Lenihan in the evening. I wish they would run a few listener competitions though like Marty does because I can listen to the Blue of Night for longer than I can manage Marty.

I missed him on Friday but I suppose he had Neven and Hugo and the AA girl and all the rest as usual. I cannot stand one of these but I am not allowed to say here which one I think is ruining a fine programme! : )

The JK show and the Blue of the Night are my two favourite shows on Lyric, the mix of music is much more interesting and if you want pure "classical" music you have the shows from 10-2 and 4-7, it's only right for them to mix it up a bit in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Add to that list almost all of RTE TV, which could be provided by commercial channels through ad revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

Completely agree with Deftlefthand. This morning MW noted the passing of Éamon de Buitléar (RIP) the great naturalist, broadcaster, Irish speaker and accomplished musician, a founder member of Seán Ó'Riada's Ceoltóirí Chualann.
    What does our hero play in tribute to this truely great man? One of Ó'Riada's beautiful laments? Not our Marty.
    He dedicates "All Creatures Great and Small" to his memory.
    Not the hymn, which might have made some sense, no - the theme from the British TV comedy series of the 1970's about a vet in Yorkshire. Unbelievable or what?

A similar one this morning marking the anniversary of the death of the great violinist, Fritz Kreisler.
    Did he play a Kreisler piece with one of today's great violinists playing?
    Did he ****.

He played a Moto Perpetuo by Paganini.
    On the violin maybe? Hell no.
    On a frickken Banjo.

Yes indeed. On Ireland's publicly funded national music and arts station, the morning show featured a piece by Paganini played on a BANJO to mark the anniversary of the death of VIOLINIST, Fritz Kreisler.

After that he marked the anniversary of the death of singer John Martin in 2009.
    Did he **** that up? Of course not. It's not stupid, boring classical music.
    He played 'May You Never' for the 700th time on MITM.

I don't think that criticism of Marty Whelan is fair. That music from the TV series is by Mozart anyway so it's fully fitting. And it isn't a comedy programme - it's a serial about vets and farming people like Countryfile. I didn't hear the bit of the show but I think it was very quick-thinking of him to link it like that. Marty Whelan always says that good radio is about links. And I don't know what is wrong with an arrangement of the Fritz Kreisler piece. He's dead and he won't mind. It was probably very well played too.

He told us today that tomorrow is the anniversary of John Barry who wrote the Bond films so we'll be having a special for the day in the morning. And Maestro Einuadi has released a new album that has more sold in iTunes than in CD form according to Marty this morning. That is proof that there is a real audience for this music not just through Marty Whelan. I like the new "Marty Recommends" - it's one of the two new Andrea Bocceli CD's that have been published - and it is heavenly music.

Did anybody see Neven on the Brendan O'Connor Show on Saturday??? I don't mind that because that's where he belongs: on the telly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Had the misfortune to catch 15 mins of the show today. Jackpot. Sandwiched between some raucous ditty from the Lion King and Val Doonican (I kid you not) was a letter from Hugo (are we sure he is the HBB we had here? - ours seemed better) telling us about a recent uneventful visit to the hairdressers. I can't imagine that when Lyric was set up this was what they had in mind.

"That music from the TV series is by Mozart anyway "

No Yvonne, it's not. The theme music to All Creatures Great and Small is 'Piano Parchment' by Johnny Pearson - not Mozart.
    The point was that Whelan in paying tribute to the late Eamonn de Buitlear could have used, for instance, part of O Riada sa Gaiety or even the Theme from Amuigh Faoin Speir. Not 'Piano Parchment' by Johnny Pearson.

"And I don't know what is wrong with an arrangement of the Fritz Kreisler piece."

Again, the point was that he didn't play a peice by Kreisler, the violinist, while marking his anniversary. He played a piece by Paganini, played on a BANJO.

Already this morning, we've had the Troggs, Englebert Humperdink (The sh*t one from Leicester) and once again for the millionth time - the probably offensive 'Goodness Gracious Me' from Peter Sellers and Sofia Loren.
    Incidentally, he played that last piece in the immediate aftermat of the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar in hugely controversial circumstances in a Galway hospital.
    We know how crass Mr Whelan is, but you'd think one of the other highly paid professionals around him might have suggested it wasn't a great idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

...............Incidentally, he played that last piece in the immediate aftermat of the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar in hugely controversial circumstances in a Galway hospital.
    We know how crass Mr Whelan is, but you'd think one of the other highly paid professionals around him might have suggested it wasn't a great idea?

Unbelievable! well, I should qualify that; unbelievable had someone else done it.

With EP, the thought of playing that particular track at such an insensitive tme would have flown right over his head.

Aside from that, have any of those highly paid "professionals" around him ever bothered to point out playing the same bloody tracks over and over again doesn't exactly endear them to the listener. I used to love listening on occasion to some Ennio Morricone's soundtracks.....now I'm almost at the stage of associating him with the painful Hugo!

Yesterday, yet another turn for "Eye Louuve Parieees" :eek:, not a few days pass without it! EP should use it as his intro. theme.
    And since when did Rolf Harris end up in the Classical Section of anywhere?

Time to pack him off to 2FM and be done with this charade.

I missed Marty Whelan's program but I listened to some of it online this evening. It was better than the news. I think people are being really, really unfair to him. So I made a mistake on the music - I thought the All Creatures music was Elvira Madigan. Whatever it is its good and suitable.

John Barry is a great music composer. They often play him on the Bllue of Night, and I've often heard it on John Kelly, sometimes. Val Doonican is 85 years old - 85 years! - and he's one of Ireland's greatest musical exports so its right that his Lyrical music is played on Lyric.

I really like Einaudi. Marty had the music from The Mission on recently and it's serious classical musical that everyone can enjoy. Peter Sellars was a great actor and we should have him on: he brightens up the day for us and gives a harmless laugh. If anyone says its not right it's political correctness gone mad!

Marty's Hugo pieces are really funny as well like Peter Sellers and they always are about music when I hear them. Today's one was good because it was about horsemeat behind it all and it linked in to the tune that came after. Marty is Hugo so he's not painful or whatever someone said. I hope Marty brings out a CD of "Hugo" for next Christmas because it would be a big seller for charity.

And like all of us here now Marty Whelan is too old now and too mature to play on 2FM so Lyric is home permanently for us all.

Please stop abusing a really fine broadcaster who a huge audience love and who gives harmless fun to hundreds of thousands of Irish people at home and abroad, and foreigeners.

Marty is Hugo so he's not painful or whatever someone said. I hope Marty brings out a CD of "Hugo" for next Christmas because it would be a big seller for charity.

It's funny Yvonne that every time Hugo is mentioned here, you are quick to point out that Marty himself writes the Hugo letters.

I have had it confirmed to me by a person who had an association with lyric for a number of years that Hugo Brady Brown, late of this thread, is the writer of these unfunny tedious things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I missed Marty Whelan's program but I listened to some of it online this evening. It was better than the news. I think people are being really, really unfair to him. So I made a mistake on the music - I thought the All Creatures music was Elvira Madigan. Whatever it is its good and suitable.

John Barry is a great music composer. They often play him on the Bllue of Night, and I've often heard it on John Kelly, sometimes. Val Doonican is 85 years old - 85 years! - and he's one of Ireland's greatest musical exports so its right that his Lyrical music is played on Lyric.

I really like Einaudi. Marty had the music from The Mission on recently and it's serious classical musical that everyone can enjoy. Peter Sellars was a great actor and we should have him on: he brightens up the day for us and gives a harmless laugh. If anyone says its not right it's political correctness gone mad!

Marty's Hugo pieces are really funny as well like Peter Sellers and they always are about music when I hear them. Today's one was good because it was about horsemeat behind it all and it linked in to the tune that came after. Marty is Hugo so he's not painful or whatever someone said. I hope Marty brings out a CD of "Hugo" for next Christmas because it would be a big seller for charity.

And like all of us here now Marty Whelan is too old now and too mature to play on 2FM so Lyric is home permanently for us all.

Please stop abusing a really fine broadcaster who a huge audience love and who gives harmless fun to hundreds of thousands of Irish people at home and abroad, and foreigeners.

That shouldn't be the case though, just because Marty is too "old" for 2fm doesn't mean he should just be stuck on Lyric because "he needs a job". Maybe he should just retire instead of dragging down what was a good morning slot on Lyric? And actually, after reading your post I'm starting to think that maybe Marty Whelan has a boards pseudonym because that last line is hilarious.

Actually, pconn062, I'm convinced that Yvonne is actually the great Hugo amongst us once more. Not sure I like his latest personality though.

But his/her stout defence of the Omnishambles that is MITM and the presenter in particular has not changed.

Can't prove it though.

You can take-it-from-me I’m not Hugo. But I have a friend who is an English teacher with a BA in English, and she has said Hugo is written by Marty Whelan – or else she says the same person is writing Hugo and writing Marty Whelan’s script. She can tell by the words that are being used.

I missed the programme again on Friday so I missed Neven Maguire. You will all be relived to hear that! But I heard the Hugo piece was very funny from my friend who had it on in the school staffroom before class.

I have a friend who is an English teacher with a BA in English, and she has said Hugo is written by Marty Whelan

I'd ditch that friend with the B.A. in English (fancy!). If she thinks that Whelan ever uses a script, well what can one say about her! I wouldn't like my kids to be in her class.

You can take-it-from-me I’m not Hugo. But I have a friend who is an English teacher with a BA in English, and she has said Hugo is written by Marty Whelan – or else she says the same person is writing Hugo and writing Marty Whelan’s script. She can tell by the words that are being used.

EP is scripted? God help us. I assumed that it was so inane that it had to be off the cuff. Imagine writing that!!

Which brings me to the production people. How could you look at yourself in the mirror if you were responsible for what amounts to 3 hours of vandalism every morning? Do they even bother to fight for something better?

doomed wrote: »
    Which brings me to the production people. How could you look at yourself in the mirror if you were responsible for what amounts to 3 hours of vandalism every morning? Do they even bother to fight for something better?

They probably would pull the Nuremberg excuse, "I was only following orders".

While I never, ever, ever listen to El Prat for the sake of my sanity (and to save the cost of buying new radios frequently) but I'm more than happy to listen to anyone of the stand-in presenters (Trish, Cynthia, etc). Why? Because they're a pleasure to listen to. It's not as if it's that difficult to select a few pleasant middle-of-the-road classical tracks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dirigent wrote: »
    They probably would pull the Nuremberg excuse, "I was only following orders".

While I never, ever, ever listen to El Prat for the sake of my sanity (and to save the cost of buying new radios frequently) but I'm more than happy to listen to anyone of the stand-in presenters (Trish, Cynthia, etc). Why? Because they're a pleasure to listen to. It's not as if it's that difficult to select a few pleasant middle-of-the-road classical tracks.

If only there was some insider who could let us know in advance, by mailing list or text, that Marty would be off the following day, so we could safely tune in. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

I only mentioned my friend and her degree because it was relevant. I wasn't trying to boast. And she is a very good teacher too.

I mean a lot of what Marty reads out is prewritten or prerecorded obviously. But he is able to think on his feet as well like he does with Rebecca from the AA. And boy she can give it back as well!!

That's awful to call a lovely programme vandalism. And you are ignoring all the people who text in to say how much they like it. And have you heard all the requests???

And Marty Whelan is off this week - for the Mid-Term-Break I suppose - so Trish Taylor is filling in for him again. She's quite good too but she could do with a bit more life in her voice. My friend said that with her it's rhythm that she needs from a public speaking point of view.

I rest my case.

That's awful to call a lovely programme vandalism. And you are ignoring all the people who text in to say how much they like it. And have you heard all the requests???

There is no doubt a place for Marty, Hugo, Neven (sorry Yvonne), Rolf Harris and all the rest but it is not Lyric. My problem is they took our only Irish classical music station and for 3 hours a day they turned it into exactly what people used to tune in to Lyric to avoid. I have no doubt that a lot of people prefer MITM and the like to a classical show (look at the figures for the other radio stations) and they will no doubt text their approval. However in fairness the people who do already have so many stations (both TV and radio) to cater for their taste. Why do they want to take the only one we have from us?

• Advertisement

Hilarious! It seems Marty Whelan monitors Boards.ie : he made an interesting reference to Boards people this morning on his show. No flies on Marty I think. (Hello Marty: I love the show - except Neven, of course!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement