Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Any form of criticism could be labeled personal because the powers that be in Montrose have called the show Marty in the Morning. I'm not blaming Marty for this, he's just one of many pawns at the station. However, Lyric was never supposed to be personality radio.

The first real symptom of this was when John Kelly was shoved onto the network. While he does suits the station, he was also surplus to requirements when changes were made to RTE Radio 1. That's why I won't be surprised when other presenters who are on long term contracts eventually end up on the station, even if they're not suitable.

As for listening figures, if Lyric FM, 2FM and RnaG relied on listening figures they'd all be closed in the morning. None of them make any money. RnaG don't sell adverts because it would cost more money to find people to advertise in the first place.

Martys figures are terrible but they're not much worse than a few years ago, as I said in a previous post when the figures are so low you can't measure them accurately. There are almost no ads on Lyric because no advertising agency with any sense would ever buy time on the station at current rates.

There is plenty of room for a Classical station in the country. Combined BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM have almost 9 percent listenership in the UK, If you got half of that you could run a station here commercially. Lyric rarely reaches anywhere near 4 percent.

In the areas I work in Marty in the Morning isn't even mentioned. Not because they don't like him or his show but he and the station are not relevant, and the people I work with are very much radio people.

Addressing the point about the radiodays speech, as someone who has written speeches for others, the mention of Marty in the Morning in Enda Kenny's presentation meant nothing. The speech writer was given a list of points to cover. He went to the RTE Guide and various websites and picked out a few shows. It's an okay speech but it was poorly delivered.

Finally, Lyric like most of RTE radio needs a huge shake up. Marty has driven away old listeners, like it or not. He has brought some fans along but they're not loyal to the station, they're loyal to Marty. Using Marty in that slot is a disaster. If and when Marty is dropped (He will be, that's the way things work in RTE, I know from the experience of friends! Someone new comes in and it's all change.) Those few listeners will follow him to his next port of call, and Lyric will have almost no listeners at all. Will anyone notice? not really, as I said when figures are so low you can't accurately measure listenership.

I wish Marty the very best over the next few months no matter what happens. He wasn't treated well by RTE in the past. I hope it doesn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I wish Marty the very best over the next few months no matter what happens. He wasn't treated well by RTE in the past. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Agreed !

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Agreed !
    Yes, Marty's position on Winning Streak was being undermined by someone who thought that Marty Morrissey would be a more suitable compere but that seems to have died a death.

DownBeaten wrote: »
    Which name will you use next?
    That's got a fairly serious implication. :(

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    That's got a fairly serious implication. :(

Not taking it seriously at all TBH Yvonne,although he/ she hasn't seen fit to withdraw or substantiate their claim !
    Doesn't bother me though, life is too short for that type of pettiness !
    Thanks for your support Yvonne23R

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm going to go to War Horse on the strength of Mart's review. And I hadn't intended going but he has made it palatable to an ordinary listener now.
    This is exactly the kind of condescension that is getting you a hostile reaction Yvonne.
    You do yourself and the "ordinary listener" a disservice to suggest that the War Horse, without Marties intervention, would otherwise be out of your reach. This kind of anti-intellectual dumbing down of culture is precisely why I loath the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

He wasn't treated well by RTE in the past. I hope it doesn't happen again.

You are aware that he quit his job in RTE to jump ship to Century Radio when they were set up? That was back in the days of Ray Burke and the brown envelopes. RTE took him back in, more fools them.

Not taking it seriously at all TBH Yvonne,although he/ she hasn't seen fit to withdraw or substantiate their claim !
    Doesn't bother me though, life is too short for that type of pettiness !
    Thanks for your support Yvonne23R

My bad. Given the constant pop-up of new users with the same message, the same syntax and the same rubbish, I must have had a Marty Moment. :eek:

You are aware that he quit his job in RTE to jump ship to Century Radio when they were set up? That was back in the days of Ray Burke and the brown envelopes.

And the connection is ????
    Pretty handy with the auld innuendo aren't ya DownBeaten

And the connection is ????
    Pretty handy with the auld innuendo aren't ya DownBeaten

I'm simply pointing out that Mr Whelan showed no loyalty to RTE when someone else waved a chequebook in his direction, in response to the comment that RTE did not treat him well. Where's the innuendo in that?

From Burke's wikipedia entry:
    An interim report of the Flood Tribunal found as fact that the backers of Century Radio had paid large bribes to Burke to secure favourable ministerial decisions.

From Whelan's:
    In 1989, Whelan left RTÉ radio to join its rival radio station, Century Radio. When that project failed[7] he was given the cold shoulder by RTÉ.

QED.

• Advertisement

I'm simply pointing out that Mr Whelan showed no loyalty to RTE when someone else waved a chequebook in his direction, in response to the comment that RTE did not treat him well. Where's the innuendo in that?

From Whelan's:

QED.

The innuendo in linking Ray Burke and Marty Whelan in the same paragraph is tenuous to say the least !

From Whelan's:
    QED.
    That is just appalling. I'm made to feel sad to see that anyone would say that. Mart is above politics and it really is unpleasant to try to link him to Ray Burke by association. I have to say I have never heard anyone say anything about Marty before now. It's just not nice - and he's one of the nicest lads in the business.

You are aware that he quit his job in RTE to jump ship to Century Radio when they were set up? That was back in the days of Ray Burke and the brown envelopes. RTE took him back in, more fools them.

Indeed I am, I had friends that worked at Century. The first few years of Legal private broadcasting in Ireland doesn't show RTE in any great light. Marty did leave his radio show but he was basically fired from all TV work. I also understand the whole murky mess that Century was with burke and everything else, but that doesn't excuse RTE's behaviour either. I'll like to point out I'm neither for other against Marty on this issue, just stating facts.

Remember at the time RTE was the only TV game in town. If they ignored someone there was nowhere else to go. Now You might think Marty is talented or indeed he is talentless. However, up to the time he left for Century he was loved by certain Management types in RTE TV. That all changed when he left RTE Radio.

This kind of thing also happened to others. It's part of the problem with RTE today. Now someone has taken a shine to Marty plus he probably has a long term contract. Put the two together and you get him on Lyric FM. That's why I don't know if he'll be on the air next year. The wind changes in RTE on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Expunge wrote: »
    Not the case anymore? Says who? You, Hugo?
    Last time I checked, Noel Curran was the DG. He's still supporting a policy of talking 160 Euro from every TV owner or go to jail. When he announces the end of Lyric as an arts and mostly classical public service broadcaster we can talk about what is and is not the case with your multiple personalities.
    My criticism of Mr Whelan and your terrible contribution to Lyric is fair enough. He's happy taking a cheque made up of public finds while doing a great deal to destroy a public resource.

I dont think Hugo, or Daphne for that matter, comment on Lyric and its programming policy at all. :confused:
    Michael and Sinead do have significant direct input into the philosophy of the MITM show, but Marty himself is the main driving force and creative inspiration behind its various strands that add up to the polished product that its audience enjoys. If you recalibrate your understanding of the programme mission, you would have to concede, even if you don't personally like what it sets out to do, that Mart does bring it all off with tremendous elan.

There is plenty of room for a Classical station in the country. Combined BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM have almost 9 percent listenership in the UK, If you got half of that you could run a station here commercially. Lyric rarely reaches anywhere near 4 percent.

The UK is a far more musically sophisticated country. Ireland is pretty backwards in this respect, and bobbling around 2%, even stretching its range far outside the 'classical' realm that R3 and Classic FM maintain, feels about right to me.

The UK is a far more musically sophisticated country. Ireland is pretty backwards in this respect, and bobbling around 2%, even stretching its range far outside the 'classical' realm that R3 and Classic FM maintain, feels about right to me.

That is an outrageous comment... seriously.... Back in the Pirate Days there were several Stations that had Classical Music shows. They had no trouble whatsoever selling the Advertising Time. I know this because I know some who were involved. The trick, actual Classical Music, Little chat, NO JOKES and No Pop!!!

That's the problem with yourself and other posters on this topic. You insult the country and you wonder why people have no time for your point of view. I have nothing against Marty but his show has ruined the station, Not only my opinion, but the opinion of many of those in the Classical Music industry, The occasional listener that has now left the station and practically every advertising agency in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I dont think Hugo, or Daphne for that matter, comment on Lyric and its programming policy at all. :confused:
    Michael and Sinead do have significant direct input into the philosophy of the MITM show, but Marty himself is the main driving force and creative inspiration behind its various strands that add up to the polished product that its audience enjoys. If you recalibrate your understanding of the programme mission, you would have to concede, even if you don't personally like what it sets out to do, that Mart does bring it all off with tremendous elan.

How do you know all this, just out of interest?

For a plain housewife of Ireland you seem to have a lot of the inside track.

That is an outrageous comment... seriously.... Back in the Pirate Days there were several Stations that had Classical Music shows. They had no trouble whatsoever selling the Advertising Time.

Classical music shows. Yes. Richard Clayderman, Rondo Veneziano, and James Last on loop ? These are the musical dark ages from which Lyric is now trying to drag the plain people of Ireland.
    It will be an uphill battle admittedly. But thats what is needed, and it will be a long process before we can hit anything like 9% listenership to classical music. Of course much of it is pap. I dont listen to these dregs of the 'classical' (I not only use the term loosely, but downright incorrectly) music world. Yvonne does not sit back in the evening to listen to his Andre Rieu or Kathrine Jenkins. Even my old sparring partner jmcc I have no doubt has knowledge and taste far above that.
    Lyric bolted off in the beginning thinking it had the likes of the UK's potential audience. And has now corrected that mistake and realigned its output appropriate to the audience available to it. And Marty fits this baby steps approach perfectly. Apart from his international renown as a Puccini scholar he is as clueless as his audience, i.e. ideal.

Classical music shows. Yes. Richard Clayderman, Rondo Veneziano, and James Last on loop ? These are the musical dark ages from which Lyric is now trying to drag the plain people of Ireland.
    It will be an uphill battle admittedly. But thats what is needed, and it will be a long process before we can hit anything like 9% listenership to classical music. Of course much of it is pap. I dont listen to these dregs of the 'classical' (I not only use the term loosely, but downright incorrectly) music world. Yvonne does not sit back in the evening to listen to his Andre Rieu or Kathrine Jenkins. Even my old sparring partner jmcc I have no doubt has knowledge and taste far above that.
    Lyric bolted off in the beginning thinking it had the likes of the UK's potential audience. And has now corrected that mistake and realigned its output appropriate to the audience available to it. And Marty fits this baby steps approach perfectly. Apart from his international renown as a Puccini scholar he is as clueless as his audience, i.e. ideal.

No, In fact it was serious pieces, by serious Musicians. There were other shows with the likes of James Last and Richard Clayderman. They would be categorized as easy listening or Beautiful music format.

Again you need to read the post, It's not 9%. You need about half that to run a commercial Station, It's done in several other countries. Lyric doesn't even come close. It was heading in the right direction until Marty Came along.(Not saying it was entirely his fault) You can throw figures back at me, But there are no real adverts on the station or on his show. Money talks.

Again you insult Irish people. I can now only assume that you're a troll deliberately trying to cause trouble. The country has spoken, No one listens.

No, In fact it was serious pieces, by serious Musicians. There were other shows with the likes of James Last and Richard Clayderman. They would be categorized as easy listening or Beautiful music format.

Again you insult Irish people. I can now only assume that you're a troll deliberately trying to cause trouble. The country has spoken, No one listens.

I think there is nothing wrong with playing beautiful music: it's what Marty does and it's what Niall Carrooll continues on and then Liz Nolan picks it up again for the reverse of the Marty journey. All simply beautiful music of different types. From Nelson Riddle to Beethoven and Hayley Westenra and from Lakme to La Boheme to Ennio and so on and on. :)

And you say, and I quote - No one listens -. Well I listen and now more than 50,000 people listen and growing. No one listens? Do me a favour! ;)

I agree with what the reasonable people here have all been saying. And it's all about linking people to the music. Ordinary people being lifted up to great music of all the Genres - jazz, hits from the shows, the light classical, the bit of John Barry, some trad even, and the bits of the Goon Show that Mart puts in like currants in the cake to give the musical diet a bit of a lift. All linking in you see and sending us off to our days with a smile on our faces and a song in our heart. :)

• Advertisement

I think there is nothing wrong with playing beautiful music: it's what Marty does and it's what Niall Carrooll continues on and then Liz Nolan picks it up again for the reverse of the Marty journey. All simply beautiful music of different types. From Nelson Riddle to Beethoven and Hayley Westenra and from Lakme to La Boheme to Ennio and so on and on. :)

And you say, and I quote - No one listens -. Well I listen and now more than 50,000 people listen and growing. No one listens? Do me a favour! ;)

I agree with what the reasonable people here have all been saying. And it's all about linking people to the music. Ordinary people being lifted up to great music of all the Genres - jazz, hits from the shows, the light classical, the bit of John Barry, some trad even, and the bits of the Goon Show that Mart puts in like currants in the cake to give the musical diet a bit of a lift. All linking in you see and sending us off to our days with a smile on our faces and a song in our heart. :)

You don't understand what I mean by beautiful Music, I'm talking about the format, Look it up, you've access to the internet.

Can you please show me were there's a figure of 50,000 listening to Marty? There are no adverts, Heck there's no one on this thread only the same 5 or 6 people compared to other sections where 100's and 1000's read and contribute.

As I said before figures that Marty gets are so low they can't be measured. To be fair, that was the case for a lot of Lyric's existence, but there was a point just before Marty arrived when the station started to gain traction. That was lost as soon as Marty arrived.

Lets face facts, almost no one cares about the show as Almost no one listens.

I know it's a little dated but here's a direct quote from Lyric's Facebook in 2012

The latest listenership figures are out and what a spectacular set of figures they are for lyric fm. We won't bore you with the details but: thanks for listening.

https://mbasic.facebook.com/RTElyricfm?v=timeline&timecutoff=1392739326&page=10&sectionLoadingID=m_timeline_loading_div_1357027199_1325404800_8_10&timeend=1357027199&timestart=1325404800&tm=AQAqFO-izygesvvl&_rdr

Don't mind figures, especially when Martys on the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

As I pointed out before, RTE/Lyric management is responsible for scheduling and programme mix, not Marty Whelan, much as you prefer to scapegoat him and the fact that his programme includes items like live interviews and some lifestyle features. Thats the way it is, get over it !! There are many other 'serious classical music' programmes on Lyric. In its current format it's never going to be 100% serious classical music, there just isn't the listenership full stop !

I disagree and will continue to disagree, because Woodville56, it's the right thing to do. Whelan, along with most RTE presenters, still have a great deal of influence to choose the music and there is no doubt in my mind this is what he's at. He is basically being left at it by a management system in RTE that hasn't a clue what Lyric is supposed to be. They are probably fighting too many fires with cutbacks and the great distraction that is 2Fm to give a s**t.
    They also seem to be men and women with no vision, more concerned with looking after final salary related pensions for themselves.

As for listenership for an (almost) 100% classical music station, the total daily reach for Lyric continues to hover between 3 and 4 percent (5 to 6 percent in Dublin). Much as it was before Whelan arrived. You don't have much of a clue what you're talking about.

Public service betrayal is underway to facilitate a has been who has no future anywhere else, it seems, on RTE radio.

As for my tone discussing the outrage and violation that is Whelan and his music on Lyric that you dislike so much, put up or shut up. Press the button or quit your whining.
    Good luck, Woodville, on your search for even higher moral ground. I hope the banter and elevator muzak is nice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

As I said before figures that Marty gets are so low they can't be measured.
    That's something that is a bit confusing. What is the methodology behind the JNLR figures? Do they count individual people or group shops/hospitals/businesses that have LyricFM in the background as multiple listeners? Also is would a listener who goes off for a while and then comes back be considered a new listener? (Think of the errors created by a school run.)

I think that the normal methodology is to have a set (a thousand or so) of randomly selected people asked about what they listen to each day but the JLNR seems to be a bit different.

While it is possible to measure some things and then extrapolate (that's how the RedC and other political polls are done), there is a margin of error and sometimes, if the sample is small enough, a small movement or change can result in a big error. Thus Marty might appear to have far more listeners than he really does and his core audience is himself, Hugo and/or Yvonne.

The big argument for the show's low numbers seems to be the lack of advertising in comparison with later shows. Advertisers, particularly in this economic climate, don't waste money on shows where the audience/demographic won't provide a good return on investment.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    That's something that is a bit confusing. What is the methodology behind the JNLR figures? Do they count individual people or group shops/hospitals/businesses that have LyricFM in the background as multiple listeners? Also is would a listener who goes off for a while and then comes back be considered a new listener? (Think of the errors created by a school run.)

I think that the normal methodology is to have a set (a thousand or so) of randomly selected people asked about what they listen to each day but the JLNR seems to be a bit different.

While it is possible to measure some things and then extrapolate (that's how the RedC and other political polls are done), there is a margin of error and sometimes, if the sample is small enough, a small movement or change can result in a big error. Thus Marty might appear to have far more listeners than he really does and his core audience is himself, Hugo and/or Yvonne.

The big argument for the show's low numbers seems to be the lack of advertising in comparison with later shows. Advertisers, particularly in this economic climate, don't waste money on shows where the audience/demographic won't provide a good return on investment.

Regards...jmcc
    I'm astonished that people who want snobbish music on the Show are also calling for commercial spots. I'd see it as part of the quality remit to give unfurling music all the way uninterrupted. Like the BBC in that and people here, some of them, want to have something like the BBC Radio Three.
    Rufus Wainright now singing "Hallelujah" on air: love, love, love it! :)

I'd see it as part of the quality remit to give unfurling music all the way uninterrupted.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'm astonished that people who want snobbish music on the Show are also calling for commercial spots.
    People are discussing the lack of advertising on your beloved Marty's show compared to that on later shows as being an indication that the figures are so low that it is not worth the advertiser's money placing advertisements. This is not calling for more advertising to be included.
    I'd see it as part of the quality remit to give unfurling music all the way uninterrupted.
    No Marty? There's something that many would agree upon. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm astonished that people who want snobbish music on the Show are also calling for commercial spots. I'd see it as part of the quality remit to give unfurling music all the way uninterrupted. Like the BBC in that and people here, some of them, want to have something like the BBC Radio Three.
    Rufus Wainright now singing "Hallelujah" on air: love, love, love it! :)

Are you not familiar with ClassicFM at all? Why all these BBC3 references?

I like Rufus Wainright. But he gets a spin on almost every other radio station which don't tend to give the likes of Rachmaninov much of a spin.

I've never said I want something like BBC3. I've repeatedly said that if I wanted inane chatter in the morning, there is a massive choice of alternatives on the radio dial. I don't. I want something to ease into the morning. There are no options on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm astonished that people who want snobbish music on the Show are also calling for commercial spots.

Stop being so insulting. The one who is a snob here is you with your constant banging on about the plain people of Ireland, projecting life styles on to people you know nothing about.

Classical music is not snobbish music. It's a specific style of music which like every other style of music has its place. This reverse elitism has to stop. It has to.

Expunge wrote: »

You don't have much of a clue what you're talking about.............. put up or shut up. Press the button or quit your whining.
    Good luck, Woodville, on your search for even higher moral ground. I hope the banter and elevator muzak is nice there.

I pay my taxes and TV licence too Expunge and am quite entitled to my views here on Lyric as you or anyone else here . I don't pretend to hold any high moral ground on this issue, it's just that I find the personalisation of abuse against ANYONE objectionable, be it Marty Whelan or whoever!
    I have agreed on several occasions in this thread that I accept that the programming on Lyric doesn't meet the needs of those who prefer the higher levels of classical music - point taken ! I could say similar about programming on mainstream radio or TV but I don't resort to personal abuse of the presenters there.
    Your indignation has now proceeded to abuse and berating of me and anyone else who doesn't agree with your personal and vindictive tirade against Marty Whelan. I'm sorry if I've offended or challenged the rarefied intelligentsia of high classical music in asking for less of the personal attacks on Marty Whelan.

I may not have the classical nous of yourself or others who contribute to this thread but I'm entitled to express my views here same as you are, much as you would wish to dismiss my comments and much as you personalise your comments .
    I've got news for you Expunge, I'm not going anywhere , much as your bullying and abusive comments would wish. If you feel my contributions here are lowering the tone, away you go to the Moderator or flag me !

• Advertisement

What's all this rubbish about "snobbish" and "highbrow"?

I like to listen to classical music in the morning. Not an amateur Terry Woganesque presenter. Not schoolboy jokes. Not dreadful crossover garbage.

That's not snobbish, or highbrow. Practically all other Lyric FM presenters have some respect for the genre they play, be it classical, jazz or traditional. Whelan does not. He's a pop musak presenter on the wrong station.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement