Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for artists who want to sell?

• 27-08-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

I came across this image on piccsy.com, change the word "paintings" to photographs and it still stands as valid!

125662.jpg

At first I was going to throw it in the Off topic thread but then I thought, no no, let's give it a proper thread with a question attached!

Seeing as PP2010 is on this weekend (I'll be there, buy my prints, pimp pimp), it is always interesting to see which pictures sell and which ones don't. I'm displaying 1 landscape and a good few abstracts so curious as to which will perform better.

As a general question - if you have sold prints before or bought them yourself, what sells best?

If I wanted to become rich by taking photographs (Don't worry, I don't want to, you all know that) what subject will be a route into shiny pennies and loads of them?

Discuss!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

So pictures of dead birds don't sell?
    Damn!
    I've 50 prints of this done for Peoples Photography and was hoping to sell them :p

BE902F7BEB0344DBA015B66A07CD194A-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

From the last few years at peoples photography, I've mostly sold landscapes. Next popular are shots that make the viewer question how the shot was put together, gets the brain clicking...

Eg

ma_sluice_full_sm-550x366.jpg

lots_of_layers.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cows and Hens gather dust? Well from my own experience is: coming in at almost 1,450 pics sold in 8months is
    7C0CDFE2AA6A48BF9B0AE73C2F5553CA-500.jpg

And a hen weighing in with about 300 pics sold in 6 months is...
    3574154653_aa81f6de86.jpg

Painting and photography are very different beasts. I wouldn't agree with anything on the list for photography.

What sells? Green pictures and red pictures.

What doesn't? Swans, flowers and pics where a stranger's face is dominant.
    There are of course exceptions to the rules but it is for me a pretty good rule of thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

sNarah wrote: »
    I came across this image on piccsy.com, change the word "paintings" to photographs and it still stands as valid!

125662.jpg

just to provide a source for this. It's a copy of an artwork by US artist John Baldessari. He had a big show in London last year. His main point in this artwork and other similar ones is that the 'rules' that artists are told are wrong.

opera427_museo_madre.jpg

10.jpg

and one of my favourites, this one below that he got from a photography book about what you should and shouldn't do
    wrong-baldessari.jpg

http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A304&page_number=1&template_id=6&sort_order=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Baldessari

Advertisement