Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X Pro Carbon 50 - Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What are you looking for? Aero or lightweight? £550 seems a bit steep imo, the previous model was £400 and used gigantex rims on novatec hubs... if they are the same you could pick up the same wheel, without the terrible logos, elsewhere for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

These would be for the cross bike... so more for slicing through the mud...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mloc, these ones are a lot lighter than the previous model which I actually owned at one point. They came in around 1600g whilst these handbuilts are supposed to be around 1295g. That explains the price difference.

The wheels themselves. Meh. I don't have any experience of the new ones but the old ones I had featured cheap generic hubs which wore out fast and spokes that may as well have been made of lego. I broke one and taco'd the wheel accelerating on a climb in a road race and as much as I would like to think it was my awesome power that caused the fault and no wheel could have withstood my greatness, I weighed 62kg at the time.

I fixed them and sold them shortly thereafter. You want something deep section and in a similar price range I would get Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's. Got mine in 2007, have put intergalactic mileage on them, raced on them, trained, ridden them off road in the canaries by mistake (road collapsed forcing a lengthy diversion across a rocky track on a road bike). Never have they skipped a beat. Quite a bit heavier than the planet X, but tough as hell and just as pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume for cross you'd want tubulars like the PX 50s?

wheelsmith do Gigantex handbuilts from £422 with various hub options.

If I get around to cross this winter I'd really like to get some tubs, and am thinking of some Ambrosio Nemesis rims built up. Probably not mud-slicy enough for you, but almost cheap enough to have a couple of sets glued up with different tyre choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

'scuse my ignorance but why would you want tubs in a cross race? Got my eye on a lovely cross bike that would suit the bike to work scheme perfectly but my better half will have a canary if another bike appears in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    'scuse my ignorance but why would you want tubs in a cross race? Got my eye on a lovely cross bike that would suit the bike to work scheme perfectly but my better half will have a canary if another bike appears in the house.

Here you go:
    Tire choice is of great importance in cyclo-cross racing. The use of tubular tires is still very popular; even more so than in road racing. This is, in part, due to their ability to be run at low pressure (22-40psi/1.5-2.75bar) without increasing the risk of pinch flats.[2] Low pressure is desirable due to increased amount of contact with the ground giving the tire more "grip". However this increases the risk of the rim 'bottoming out" on the ground. With clincher tires, this is a problem since the tube becomes pinched by the rim and can be cut open causing a flat. With a tubular set up, this is not a problem as they cannot pinchflat thus the only concern is damage to the rim. A tubular setup also offers a weight saving over its clincher counterpart and has the ability to be ridden on if a flat does occur so a racer can reach the pits for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume for cross you'd want tubulars.

Good point, tubs are your only man if you are serious about doing well in the muck, scratch the Cosmics unless you can get the older tubular ones that they used to do (I don't think they still do). For me the PX50 was too fragile for Irish roads, so I wouldn't be confident about them on Irish fields.

Lumen's wheelsmith recommendation is the way to go. The Gigantex 50mm is the PX50 and the Gigantex 50mm Ultralight 360g are the PX50 handbuilts. The rims themselves are quite decent. So just get the strongest hub and spoke combination in your price range and you should have a fine wheel.

Off topic, just noticed the new planet x 20mm carbon tubs that weigh 1250g for £399. You'd nearly have a punt at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Thanks for the feedback... will look at the wheelsmith option... I see they do cross specific builds so should be strong enough... great prices too.. and nice that there is no branding ont he rims... means you can do a custom job on them..

For tubs these are your only man ... http://www.a-dugast.com/dugasteng.html

Advertisement