Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if you were in the rira what would you say in reply to President McAleese's criticism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

How much support do you think they have? I haven't heard anyone in the media (including Boards.ie) speaking out in favour of what they are doing.
    I dare say there are a few dissident supporters amongst us..... would you admit it here if you supported them? You would be crucified.

As for the media.... you are only told what they want you to hear. Obviously they don't have the support the PIRA had but to say that they have NO supporters is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I dare say there are a few dissident supporters amongst us..... would you admit it here if you supported them? You would be crucified.

As for the media.... you are only told what they want you to hear. Obviously they don't have the support the PIRA had but to say that they have NO supporters is wrong.

It's an interesting one this. Times are changing. Blogs and message boards are anonymous, and can be considered part of the new media, so to say that "you are only told what they want you to hear" is not as true as it was.

One of the things that (Provisional) Sinn Fein did was to wage a propaganda war, and in many ways they were very sucessful at it.

I don't hear that from the current dissidents.

If I supported them would I "admit" it? I'd campaign for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

How much support do you think they have? I haven't heard anyone in the media (including Boards.ie) speaking out in favour of what they are doing.

eh hello?

like WTF and FYI tbh.

At lest idiots/sheep have stopped downloading their well thought out thoughts. I was embarresed for most of them tbh.

eh hello?

like WTF and FYI tbh.

At lest idiots/sheep have stopped downloading their well thought out thoughts. I was embarresed for most of them tbh.

Sorry, are you their press officer?

Edit: Really, I don't know what you're getting at.

It's an interesting one this. Times are changing. Blogs and message boards are anonymous, and can be considered part of the new media, so to say that "you are only told what they want you to hear" is not as true as it was.

One of the things that (Provisional) Sinn Fein did was to wage a propaganda war, and in many ways they were very sucessful at it.

I don't hear that from the current dissidents.

If I supported them would I "admit" it? I'd campaign for them.
    Somehow I doubt you would last long on this site if you were advocating bombings and/or killing of PSNI and army officers.

There are other forums out there in which dissident supporters do what you said.

Somehow I doubt you would last long on this site if you were advocating bombings and/or killing of PSNI and army officers.

There are other forums out there in which dissident supporters do what you said.

Fair point. How much support do you think they have?

Sorry, are you their press officer?

Edit: Really, I don't know what you're getting at.

No probs. I have this LARGE flat apartment to sell. You would like it.
    Oh you would.

No probs. I have this LARGE flat apartment to sell. You would like it.
    Oh you would.

Over my head, Sir. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If I were in the RIRA I imagine my reply to anything would along the lines of "Nnnnuuurrrrrg duuuuuuuuuuuurr nghh."

• Advertisement

Fair point. How much support do you think they have?
    Small support. But I would say it is growing.

Support is irrelevant though. In their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They don't stand under anything I think.

CIRA are "associated" with Republican Sinn Fein.

But the newest most capable dissident group OnH have no political wing at all.

RIRA are linked to the 32CSM are they not?

Over my head, Sir. Sorry.

Took it from silly to serious and now no one has any witty or funny replies....

meh.

amacachi wrote: »
    RIRA are linked to the 32CSM are they not?
    Duhhh

Sorry, bit of a stupid moment there. Yes they are.

Support is irrelevant though. In their minds.

I'm sure you're right on that one.

I'm sure you're right on that one.
    Their plan is to smash the facade of the GFA and show that the root problems are still there, such as police discrimination etc.... If they get the BA back on the streets support will rocket.

• Advertisement

Their plan is to smash the facade of the GFA and show that the root problems are still there, such as police discrimination etc.... If they get the BA back on the streets support will rocket.

I presume their strategy is based on the belief that there are lots of activists that could be floating or transferred between different Republican organisations depending on the situation (sorry to use that last word)?

Gents why are you arguing? these people are the toilet of the country. Newstalk listeners who cant comprehend they signed for mortages they could never afford!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Provisionally

They don't stand under anything I think.

CIRA are "associated" with Republican Sinn Fein.

But the newest most capable dissident group OnH have no political wing at all.

ONH's political wing used to be the "New Republican Forum" - although they have since wound up.

There's suspicion that the RNU may be there political wing after the RNU provided a colour party for a funeral in Derry during which ONH fired a number of shots over the coffin of a veteran republican.

Surely one would have to question who is controlling these so called republican groupings if their main aim is to increase the British presence in Ireland.

Gents why are you arguing? these people are the toilet of the country. Newstalk listeners who cant comprehend they signed for mortages they could never afford!"

Discussion, not argument...?

• Advertisement

Surely one would have to question who is controlling these so called republican groupings if their main aim is to increase the British presence in Ireland.
    I would reckon that is their short term aim. It would show who is really in charge still, The Brits. Long term of course is the removal of the occupying forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Remember when you were in your mid-20's you had a few friends who never really matured out of their teens?

You got a good job, maybe got married. Started saving for a house etc etc. But there's always those few friends who just dont get adult life and had such a good time as a teenager they kind of get stuck there.

Charming for awhile, you feel they rekindle your youth, you can relive some of the good times with them. they're always available for a pint.

But ultimately they're losers and they will stay losers and you'll grow farther and father apart.

Thats rira and 32csm. We've been there. We've done that. and we've moved on.

I mean on the face of it I may be sympathetic to the political goals of 32csm but thats only because its just plagiarised from Sinn Fein. Their ideology is 1980's Sinn Fein without even a nod to the progress thats been made since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

They know that if they can force the BA back onto the streets then some republicens will turn away from SF and give their support to them. They beleive that force is the only way to acheive a 32 county republic and so are doing everything they can to get the campagin of violence going and get people used to bombs going off all over the place again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

They know that if they can force the BA back onto the streets then some republicens will turn away from SF and give their support to them. They beleive that force is the only way to acheive a 32 county republic and so are doing everything they can to get the campagin of violence going and get people used to bombs going off all over the place again.

Well if they manage to force BA onto the streets and he brings the rest of the A-Team with him then its going be one heck of a street battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I blame the RCC, the Brits, Joe Duffy, Muslims, FF, The Greens, Israel, Bush, Blair and Bin Ladin.

And that retarded vicar.

Personally I'd blame SinnFein and in particular McGuinness and Adams - they played the republican community into fighting a political agenda aimed at chess play around an agreement that never had a united Ireland at its core despite telling all and sundry on the ground this was their aim

then it took the £26 million robbery to pay off the IRA and its criminal element in the North whilst allowing the immgrant criminal class in under the guise of their quiet undiscussed with the community social liberalism

and so the Northern Catholics they presumed to have represented have sarcrificed their sons and daughters to jail and death for a communtiy today incumbered with joblessness and an influx of criminals under the guise of economic immigrants

those of the army that did not involve themselves in criminal activity do feel betrayed

Northern Sinn Fein are w_nkers that must have gasped a deep breath of let off when David Ervine passed away

the present dissendent movement is made up of (yes) criminals but also by a bigger majority with those that believed and were corrupted by Adams and McGuninness's lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Stinicker wrote: »
    If I was in the RIRA I would have them engaged in a campaign of violence not against innocent civilians or hapless British troops in the North but rather I'd have Dail Eireann bombed with Mortars and have the entire cabinet bench of Fianna Fail killed with bombs and bullets by now. As for McAleese she is a troll and can feck off up North for all I would care. The North is not our enemy today, our enemies walk amongst us and claim to represent us. I would have the majority of banks burned down and blew up by now also.

raaarr rabble rabble raarr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Well if they manage to force BA onto the streets and he brings the rest of the A-Team with him then its going be one heck of a street battle.

Very low death rate as a result of uncanny inaccuracy but a tragic loss in jeeps through flipping.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

"how's your gee?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well according to newsnight ( I was bored ) the old ira's militant wing left the old ira to join the real ira and the irish are becoming as big a threat as the taliban according to their intellignce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well according to newsnight ( I was bored ) the old ira's militant wing left the old ira to join the real ira and the irish are becoming as big a threat as the taliban according to their intellignce.

What do they want I wonder, we dont want them! A united Ireland has only ever (ever, history:-) been possible under british rule and us southerners dont want the brits back...

Do they want a state of their own?

• Advertisement

So they'll think it's the real Rock Ridge, but we'll know it's the fake Rock Ridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They're obviously not representative of Boards.ie but I've seen a tiny number of posters voice their support for republican violence here (in particular on a Jerry McCabe thread some time back) - and when a mod has reprimanded them for their reprehensible bile, they claim Boards.ie is "unionist", "west Brit" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

ira men since the treaty especially have always been criminalised and reviled by the political class and church. anti treay ira were excomunicated etc..
    the pope himself condemned the provos. dev hanged ira men when he was president, so why would the ira pay any attention to mary?
    to quote gerry adams, the ira gets its mandate from the briitsh presence in ireland.

What do they want I wonder, we dont want them! A united Ireland has only ever (ever, history:-) been possible under british rule and us southerners dont want the brits back...

Do they want a state of their own?

They want to bomb thats all i got from them, their aparantly having secret talks with the british government although both sides deny this.

Dudess wrote: »
    They're obviously not representative of Boards.ie but I've seen a tiny number of posters voice their support for republican violence here.

Were they speaking out in favour of specific groups or just in general terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I say we bring in the UN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Slobodan Milosevic

The RIRA are the lowest form of ****e you will find anywhere.

From the Omagh bomb where these scum killed 28 innocent people, they lost any slight chance they had of gathering public support.

It's bad enough that they continue a war with no public support, but that they would slaughter so many innocent people in the name of nationalism, thats thuggery.

The only way there will ever be a united Ireland, is when the majority of people from the north vote for such a situation (as agreed in the Good Friday Agreement)

So if these scum wanted to do anything in the name of Ireland they should get busy between the sheets. Although I'd pitty any child in the hands of such clowns.

SLOBO
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

moonpurple wrote: »
    this will end well
    also observed by:

2 cavan lads who parked the car on omagh main street 2000

and so on and so on:pac:

This is disrespectful to those that died in Omagh and their relatives. I don't like this...

A load of crap really.

The Commanders are still all Provos.

The IRA's most militant Brigades were South Armagh and East Tyrone.

South Armagh is still very much a Provo stronghold - East Tyrone has seen some dissent but not that much to be a threat.

When the RIRA broke away from the IRA, only one Brigade (north Louth) went with them. Most of those then left after Omagh - a mixture of guilt and of being froced from their homes by the IRA.

The majority of their support is still based in North Louth and also Derry and Lurgan. Even still, when compared with the IRA their support is minisulce. None of the dissident groups have any support base whatsoever in Belfast.

• Advertisement

A load of crap really.

South Armagh is still very much a Provo stronghold - East Tyrone has seen some dissent but not that much to be a threat.

When the RIRA broke away from the IRA, only one Brigade (north Louth) went with them. Most of those then left after Omagh - a mixture of guilt and of being froced from their homes by the IRA.

The majority of their support is still based in North Louth and also Derry and Lurgan. Even still, when compared with the IRA their support is minisulce. None of the dissident groups have any support base whatsoever in Belfast.

Well It is newsnight i suppose, I wonder is their any truth about the british army holding talks with the dissidents?

A load of crap really.

As a louth man myself I feel that dissident support is relatively high here. Recently a number of men were lifted for IRA membership just a mile away from where I live.

Well It is newsnight i suppose, I wonder is their any truth about the british army holding talks with the dissidents?
    I would say there is zero chance of that being true, especially with OnH.

As a louth man myself I feel that dissident support is relatively high here. Recently a number of men were lifted for IRA membership just a mile away from where I live.

I would say that rira activity is fairly low in dublin ( that i know of ) all the old ira pubs and members i seen around definatly dont look more like the old set.

I would say that rira activity is fairly low in dublin ( that i know of ) all the old ira pubs and members i seen around definatly dont look more like the old set.
    The are operating with very few members, a "quality over quantity approach" is how OnH put it in their most recent statement/interview. You won't be picking these men out just by looking at them. CIRA and RIRA are infiltrated, OnH apparently are not, hence we know feck all about them.

The are operating with very few members, a "quality over quantity approach" is how OnH put it in their most recent statement/interview. You won't be picking these men out just by looking at them. CIRA and RIRA are infiltrated, OnH apparently are not, hence we know feck all about them.

ah well im not picking out the ira members either thier just well known ira members from the area who have served time ect ( always very well dressed)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If I was in RIRA, I would be having a pint. And possibly a whiskey to go with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

2 cavan lads who parked the car on omagh main street 2000

Is there any evidence or source for these claims that they were from Cavan??

Dudess wrote: »
    They're obviously not representative of Boards.ie but I've seen a tiny number of posters voice their support for republican violence here (in particular on a Jerry McCabe thread some time back) - and when a mod has reprimanded them for their reprehensible bile, they claim Boards.ie is "unionist", "west Brit" etc.
    I doubt you will find any posters defending current republican violence, but a fair few will defend the necessity of the PIRA campaign.

I have heard this site described as "westbrit.ie" many times! :D

ah well im not picking out the ira members either thier just well known ira members from the area who have served time ect ( always very well dressed)!
    Indeed. It is interesting that Republicanism and its cause have always been championed by well educated middle/upper class people, as well as the working class. Figures such as Pearse and Wolfe Tone(a Barrister) spring to mind.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hi there. I was born in Belfast. My family were burned out. I consider myself a true nationalist (not the kind with symtex)

I started and administer this website....

So, sorry, your point was?

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement