Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave the finger to a guy at work

Options
  • 27-08-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So I'm a relatively new employee at a restaurant and today a scumbag (for need of a better word, but thats what he was anyway) was caught smoking in the toilets by a manager. Needless to say the guy was not best pleased and when he came out of the bathroom he started roaring at me aking where the manager went. (He had left that floor by this time.) So I just muttered 'I don't know' and went back to mopping. He then got pretty angry and gave me some general abuse and called me a fcuking scrubber. I know I probably shouldnt have but this got on my nerves and I gave him the middle finger.

Now this would have gone unnoticed by the management except the manager called the guards on this guy and they're coming tomorrow. So if they check the security cameras they'll see this and I may be screwed. So now I'm terrified that I might be fired. They can still fire me without the written or verbal warnings in the first six months. So do ye think I might get fired for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if i was the manager i'd be ok about it. you could fess up and just say that he got you so angry and annoyed and it would never happen in front of customers etc

you would be surprised at the amount of stuff a lot stronger than a middle finger that goes on in a kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Does the security camera record audio too? Because if not, you could always embellish a little when explaining the reason why you gave the finger... after all it's just a scumbag ;)

I'd say your ok lad, wouldnt worry about it too much. They will probably look at the footage and laugh at you giving him the middle finger - and then say something like fair play to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If your manager has any sense you should be ok. The guy should be lucky you didn't shove that mop somewhere unpleasant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Your situation is that you are not an experienced worker and probably not working front of house like a waiter, receptionist etc who would be expected to keep their cool against most customer abuse.

Considering that they are calling the guards to complain about the smokers behaviour it is a safe bet that your manager got verbal or even physical abuse from the person or some other customer complained about being disturbed or abused.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about but chalk it up to experience. Catering is a very stressful place to work especially when drink and smoking are involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement