Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cois ghruda broadband

Options
  • 27-08-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

asked this in the accomodation sticky but didnt get a reply

anyone know what broadband packages are available in cois gruda? im in the states right now so cant really ring around the companies and ask

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mrziggy

Eircom is available and UPC is not. Don't know about others. UPC told me they're not planning to move to the area anytime soon so I got the 7MB "unlimited" (250GB monthly combined download+upload allowance) NGB package from eircom.

If UPC were in the area I'd be paying half as much for twice the speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

thanks i ordered eircom yesterday they said they werent sure if i could get the 24mb line or not but they will ring me tomorrow and let me know

its 69 a month for phonline and 24mb broadband

if the 24 isnt available then the no contention 8mb line is the one we have to get which is kinda ****ty but hopefully the zero contention makes up for the lack of mb/s

We're paying for the 8MB but they told us our line is only capable of 7MB. I'm paying 61 a month for phone line and unlimited NGB 8MB. We don't even use the phone but it's still cheaper to have the bundle package.

Speedtest.net says my connection is 4.4Mbps download. It's not great speed but it seems to be a reliable enough connection.

BTW, you should be aware that their NGB package is just a way of letting them charge people for their combined download+upload as opposed to download alone. The hardware they use for the regular and NGB is the same as far as I know. NGB was slightly cheaper so we went with it and we just keep a close eye on our usage.

mrziggy wrote: »
    We're paying for the 8MB but they told us our line is only capable of 7MB. I'm paying 61 a month for phone line and unlimited NGB 8MB. We don't even use the phone but it's still cheaper to have the bundle package.

Speedtest.net says my connection is 4.4Mbps download. It's not great speed but it seems to be a reliable enough connection.

BTW, you should be aware that their NGB package is just a way of letting them charge people for their combined download+upload as opposed to download alone. The hardware they use for the regular and NGB is the same as far as I know. NGB was slightly cheaper so we went with it and we just keep a close eye on our usage.

thanks i didnt even ask what the usage for the 8mb was but they said its unlimited for the 24mb line

their pricing seems retarded, 61 a month for 8mb or 69 a month for 24

please let the line be capable of 24mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Why not check out other retailers besides Eircom like Imagine or wireless internet from O2, vodafone etc.? No harm in checking it out!

• Advertisement

When we first moved in we used a meteor mobile broadband thing but the allowance was too low for two of us(10GB a month). If you're a low user of the internet it would be a good option but it was still 20 euro a month as far as I can remember.

I didn't spend a lot of time checking other providers but if you discover something better than eircom please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Here is a link for imagine http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_broadband.html#

They have an online customer care and you can ask them questions through online chat. Simple, but its only 7mb (€35pm which is a lot cheaper than eircom!).

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info ulinbac. I got this message when I checked coverage though:
    "Sorry WiMax is not in your area right now"

I signed up my email address so I'll be contacted when they will be available. I've heard of them. They're meant to be pretty good but I couldn't find an actual figure for the "unlimited" download allowance package. The fair usage policy says:
    " If you consume excessive resources on our system we may suspend your access at any time without prior notice."
    They don't even give a guideline for what is reasonable and what is not.

the mobile broadband isnt really suitable for me

had to ring eircom back today and now apparently its gonna take two ****ing weeks for the line to be reactivated, what a load of crap

It took about 3-5 days for them to activate our line. About a week before we received our router. Try calling them over and over. Anytime I call eircom with a question different operators always give me a different answer.

One of them even gave me information that was blatantly incorrect. Another time, I called with a bill query and they connected me to technical support (which you pay for!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Anyone tried Magnet? they seem like better value for money compared to eircom and any of the others. We can’t get upc in the orchards which kinda sucks, had no issues with them last year and at 36 euro a month it wasn’t bad.

Magnet have a contention ration of 1:1.....can’t say I know much about it apart from the fact they you’re not sharing with other customers.

Checked their site and it seems pretty expensive unless you happen to be in certain housing estates in Dublin, Meath and Laois where they have a "Fibre to your home" option. I didn't see anything on their site about the download allowance either. Maybe it really is unlimited...?

They might be worth looking into Peakoutput. You can ask them if they can hook you up faster than eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I asked the about there magnet force 5 and they said it was unlimited and that the contention was 1:1. They will get the phoneline reactivated too. They seemed really eager to get the business compared to digiweb. I used the request a call back feature on their website at 5.15 today asking to be called at 5.30 and they called me on the dot. I’m also looking at the force 24 which is only 5 extra a month and that price continues for the term of the contract apparentely (They have a rep on boards - just google magnet and check out the boards.ie result it throws up). It says the force 24 offer is up at the end of August 2010 but they are still offering it. They seem to be open to negotiating, say if I get a better offer from digiweb. I might get the force 24 down to 50 a month. There's only 3 of us in the house though so I'll see.

Link to what I'm looking at: https://www.magnet.ie/index.php/signup/step1.html

Advertisement