Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone decline their first offer?

• 27-08-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Is next Wednesday pretty much make or break for anyone with the second offers?

It is for me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

well it wont be the end of the world if you dont get the offer you want in round 2. You could repeat or just take some time out and reapply next year and hope the points come down.
    Declining an offer is risky because its unlikely u will be offered a lower choice course and its just a matter of hoping others decline their offers for higher points courses.
    Best of luck whatever happens... but dont see it as the b all and end all of ur life. I mean, if you knew a course was not for you, it was better to decline it instead of starting off in a career ud only live to hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

There was a f*ck up on my CAO and my results weren't linked up with my CAO application. As a result, I got no offers on Monday. So I've been put through to the second round. I'm hoping people will drop out of Arts in NUIG. I've got more than enough points, so I'm confident I'd get on, it's just a matter of people declining the offer. I'm not repeating, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I know someone who turned down Nursing in DCU as they are taking up an offer in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

felic wrote: »
    Declining an offer is risky because its unlikely u will be offered a lower choice course
    If it's lower on your CAO form you won't get offered it. You can get offered a higher course on your form, but never a lower one. That's why you should always list your courses in the order you want them.

Anyway I'm hoping to get science at Trinity in the second round. It's actually annoying because I would have been happy enough with my second choice if I had missed Trinity by ten points or so, but the fact that I missed by random selection means I've got a great chance of getting it. So now I'm stuck waiting until next Thursday before I can sort out accommodation or anything. Why do the rounds have to be so far apart?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

They messed up your application? Oh my! Id be fuming! Really hope they send you an offer because when the mistake is on their side then thats a serious problem!
    Arts usually does have a lot of places so maybe they will be able to offer you a place. If not, I guess they'll offer you a deferred entry type thing for next year.

Thats tough... Really hope things work out.

And I agree with the above post about the waiting time between offers being too long! Its ridiculous considering what little time students have between the first offer and when the college term begins. The whole system needs revamping. The results should be out in July... theres no reason to have to wait until almost the end of August! And the round one offers should be the next day type thing. Anyone involved will be accepting round one offers on the first day... so a week should be the max time people have to wait for round 2!
    Wish they'd look at this on the whole and bring it up to modern times, instead of wasting their time on these project maths type nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

felic wrote: »
    And I agree with the above post about the waiting time between offers being too long! Its ridiculous considering what little time students have between the first offer and when the college term begins. The whole system needs revamping. The results should be out in July... theres no reason to have to wait until almost the end of August! And the round one offers should be the next day type thing. Anyone involved will be accepting round one offers on the first day... so a week should be the max time people have to wait for round 2!
    Wish they'd look at this on the whole and bring it up to modern times, instead of wasting their time on these project maths type nonsense!

Why not have multiple choice type tests that the cat could do and have them finished, corrected, graded and the results issued in an afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tkeane

NK

you will get in, well over a thousand places have been offered and the likelihood of one person deferring is favourable. Don't worry

TK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Why not have multiple choice type tests that the cat could do and have them finished, corrected, graded and the results issued in an afternoon?
    Don't even joke about it, I can see it happening in my lifetime! >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

tkeane wrote: »
    NK

you will get in, well over a thousand places have been offered and the likelihood of one person deferring is favourable. Don't worry

TK

You never know what'll happen on second rounds for you either, TK! That course might drop!

Advertisement