Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really love my hot dogs and brats!

Options
  • 27-08-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

But I think of them as being pretty American even though I am sure there may be some international stores that sell these items.

As I will be arriving next month, I am just trying to get a grasp of what types of foods will be available in Dublin.

If not, I will most likely look into having them periodically shipped (I think that's possible).

So, are brats and dogs something that is sold in grocery stores? Also, what grocery chains are there?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We have no shortage of award winning makers of Bratwurst, Frankfurters etc in Dublin. People obviously have their own favourites- but you can find artisan butchers here who make over 40 different types of bratwurst, alongside numerous different types of Frankfurters (hotdogs).

My own favourite is an artisan butchers in Dunlaoghaire who have a factory outlet shop you can buy from- I tend to visit once a month. Its called Hicks- their website is www.hicks.ie Another very popular Irish sausage/bacon manufacturer are Rudds website: www.rudds.ie

You will find a lot more artisan food producers here, who will have different foods depending on the season, than you are used to in the States- local Farmers markets are becoming increasingly popular here- they may not be the cheapest- but the quality will tend to vastly exceed anything you'll find in any supermarket........

You'll be very surprised at the variety of foods available here- the days when you couldn't find your Oreos, grape jelly, various American candy etc- are long gone. One thing- US food products on the market here tend to be formulated for a European market- so even generic products such as Oreos- would tend to have lower sugar content than their US cousins (and we tend to use a lot less salt also).

Dublin is very cosmopolitan these days- you will have no problems finding foods both familiar to you- alongside very interesting and tasty alternatives for you to try and fall in love with........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Thank you for your thorough response! I do feel comforted. I am hoping to try new things while abroad but I also enjoy my favorites. :)

One last question. Considering our close distance and our large Latino population, we have a lot of Mexican and Latin American foods here; I remember in another thread I commented on grits, and people were a bit confused as to what corn/hominy was. Have you seen tortillas and other Mex-Tex inspired foods out that way? If not, I'll bring a tortilla press. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can buy tortilla, chillis etc in any Supermarket- and we have quite a few Mexican/Spanish restaurants, which cater to foodies who like their 'hot' food. It wouldn't be very popular here- but is catered for. Our Spanish/Mexican restaurants would be more tapas orientated, than fast food tortillas :)

Advertisement