Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Shop by Morris's

• 27-08-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

I'm just walking along here and noticed that furniture shop is still having a closing down sale it must surely be months at this stage.

I remember some Adam Sandler film(i'm gonna guess don't mess with the zohan) had a shop in it called "going out of business" so people would go in there I'm
    just thinking could this be a similar thing.

Very clever if so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'm surpised that place ever did any business, bad location for a shop imo. Right next to a massive hardware store, and the shop itself is about the size of the shop of the petrol station next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm just walking along here and noticed that furniture shop is still having a closing down sale it must surely be months at this stage.

I remember some Adam Sandler film(i'm gonna guess don't mess with the zohan) had a shop in it called "going out of business" so people would go in there I'm
    just thinking could this be a similar thing.

Very clever if so.

I had the same thought myself when I went past. I looked in one day and it didn't look to me as though they were having a closing down sale, it seemed to be full of furniture. Nothing very interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

He was doing really sh1t for a while so he was going to shut it down, put up closing down sale posters and business has been great since!!! fair play i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's misleading advertising and several stores have been fined because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was about to say I wonder is it ilegal. It really does make a difference because when I was closing up the retail part of Hewdens it was amazing the amount of people who would stick their head in and ask for cheap deals.

• Advertisement

if the stock is on sale then its on sale, how is that misleading.

Because they are VERY strict about for sale signs.

For something to be "on sale" it has to be full price for over six months of the year. You can't just leave up a sign. The fines are huge for it, trust ne on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

if the stock is on sale then its on sale, how is that misleading.

SALE

CLOSING DOWN SALE

With the latter you expect to get rock bottom prices but if your only getting regular or sale prices then saying CLOSING DOWN SALE is misleading advertising..

But sure when government are doing their own thing now who cares. Good luck to them.

Consumer Protection Act, 2007

The CPA also contains 32 specifically prohibited practices including:

Claiming an item is free if you have to pay more than the reasonable cost of responding to the offer or having the item delivered

Commercial sellers creating an impression that they are private sellers

Telling a consumer they have won a prize where payment is required in order to claim that prize
    Seeking payment for unsolicited goods, or the return of those goods
    Claiming the business is closing down when it is not

who would police it?

• Advertisement

The National Consumer Agency. They act on complaints from the public and also carry out a series of random checks on businesses. They publish reports every day detailing the cases they have handled which also names the businesses. There's a lot of repeat offenders over the years http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/2009_NCA_Annual_Report_accessible.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

who would police it?

Other furniture shops would have a good reason to report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Those of a certain age can remember Peter France had a closing down sale for at least ten years :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not closed down? Jaysus, he can get in a fair bit of trouble for that. If business is booming now its because his prices are lower (or people think they are, hence why they take a look).

I remember there was a shop on the Quay which took forever to close down, with a "Closing Down" sign indicating it would be closed the next day. Took a good month or so to close.

Anyone remember the shop at the top of Grafton St. in Dublin with the LED signs saying Closing Down? Over a year id say, they were selling suits. Top of the old Dunnes building I think (or a little bit up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's on my way into town so I walk past it most days. There is nearly always vans with furniture in them outside. I'd assumed they were taking stuff away coz it was closing down, but considering the frequency with which they are there and the fact that the stock level isn't getting any lower you'd have to assume the very large "Closing down sale" signs are a ruse, especially considering the size, quality and number of the signs.

Basically it would be some waste to spend that much on closing down signs if you were actually closing down.

It's a dangerous game if true,

I personally wouldn't give a hoot but like one of the lads said I'm sure other stores might not be to pleased about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

some shops have closing down sales where they sell the stock from shops that have closed or are closing down
    not nessecerily the shop with the sign outside
    if you get what im trying to say?

^ actually a good point.

Maybe there is more then one.

Advertisement