Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2010 Boards forecast contest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

13.0c, 23.7c, -1.9c, 93%, 109%, 4.3hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12.8,24.1,-0.1,88,110,5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

(1) "IMT" mean temp deg C for the five stations 12.5c

(2) max temp deg C for any met.ie station 22.2c

(3) min temp deg C for any met.ie station -0.2c

(4) average rainfall (% of normal) for all reporting stations 140%

(5) average sunshine (% of normal) for all reporting stations 90%

(6) Bonus -- with all sorts of events planned for eastern Ireland on the first weekend, predict the hours of sunshine at Casement on Sunday 5th (to nearest decimal, range 0.0 to 13.0) 10.2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shannon started the month with a max of 21.4 yesterday, should be beaten today or tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Shannon started the month with a max of 21.4 yesterday, should be beaten today or tomorrow.

I am beginning to think that I under-estimated the final september IMT in my guess :rolleyes:

A quick look at how the "IMR" is doing so far this year.

126312.jpg

Running mean chart up to 31st August tells that 2010 continues to be drier than normal across the IMT zone. Annual rainfall percentage on 90.7% of the 61-90 average and significantly lower than the 133.4% at this stage last year. Only Oak Park has a earned a value slightly higher than average at 107%, while Claremorris continues its high rainfall deficit with 2010 percentage on just 84.4%, which is followed closely by Shannon Airport's 85.9%.

Mean Daily Max for September, based on the combined 61-90 average of stations Galway (UCG), Birr and Dublin (Pheonix Park):

126313.jpg

A slow but steady decent from late summer into early autumn.

Bring it on.

All data C/O Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Forecasts received so far ...

Forecaster ........... IMT ..... max ..... min ..... rain% .... sun% .... sun 5th

skipz ................. 14.5 ..... 26.5 ..... -1.0 ..... 130 ..... 085 ..... 5.8
    John mac ........... 14.2 ..... 26.1 ..... +4.3 ..... 087 ..... 120 ..... 4.5
    M.T. Cranium ...... 13.5 ..... 25.0 ..... -2.1 ..... 080 ..... 125 ..... 6.4
    Rebelbrowser ...... 13.4 ..... 22.4 ..... -1.8 ..... 079 ..... 114 ..... 6.1
    Sponge Bob ........ 13.4 ..... 23.8 ..... +0.8 ..... 105 .... 122 ..... 3.0
    Deep Easterly ..... 13.3 ..... 20.0 ..... +0.9 ..... 110 ..... 093 ..... 3.0
    Joe Public .......... 13.3 ..... 26.0 ..... -1.3 ..... 065 ..... 135 ..... 2.4
    WolfeIRE ............ 13.2 ..... 23.5 ..... +1.5 .... 105 ..... 110 ..... 2.0
    mickger844posts.. 13.1 ..... 23.7 ..... -2.1 ..... 074 ..... 128 ..... 2.5
    pauldry ............. 13.1 ..... 22.8 ..... +0.4 ..... 155 ..... 084 ..... 6.3
    jd ..................... 13.1 ..... 23.1 ..... -1.5 ..... 112 ..... 095 ..... 3.9
    homolumo .......... 13.0 ..... 24.5 ..... -2.0 ..... 085 ..... 121 ..... 6.0
    DOCARCH ........... 13.0 ..... 23.7 ..... -1.9 ..... 093 ..... 109 ..... 4.3
    hellboy99 ........... 12.9 ..... 24.7 ..... -1.8 ..... 112 ..... 101 ..... 5.8
    200motels .......... 12.9 ..... 24.1 ..... -0.6 ..... 109 ..... 082 ..... 3.1
    Su Campu .......... 12.8 ..... 24.1 ..... -0.1 ..... 088 ..... 110 ..... 5.5

Con Sensus ....... 12.8 ..... 23.0 ..... -0.5 ..... 105 ..... 103 ..... 4.6

Jerry Seinfeld ..... 12.8 ..... 22.2 ..... -0.5 ..... 115 ..... 095 ..... 7.1
    dasa29 .............. 12.8 ..... 24.0 ..... -1.4 ..... 080 ..... 123 ..... 5.5
    Fionagus ............ 12.7 ..... 21.1 ..... -1.1 ..... 125 ..... 088 ..... 3.5
    nilhg ................. 12.7 ..... 24.7 ..... -1.5 ..... 089 ..... 110 ..... 1.5
    thetonynator ...... 12.5 ..... 21.5 ..... -1.9 ..... 090 ..... 110 ..... 4.0
    Danno ............... 12.5 ..... 22.2 ..... -0.2 ..... 140 ..... 090 .... 10.2
    Strasser ............ 12.5 ..... 21.4 ..... -1.2 ..... 090 ..... 108 ..... 6.0
    nacho libre ......... 12.4 ..... 21.7 ..... +1.7 ..... 140 ..... 090 ..... 5.2
    kindredspirit ....... 12.3 ..... 23.0 ..... -1.0 ..... 120 ..... 100 ..... 7.0
    waterways ......... 12.3 ..... 23.6 ..... -1.7 ..... 145 ..... 084 ..... 2.7
    talkabout ........... 12.1 ..... 21.6 ..... -1.0 ..... 110 ..... 092 ..... 3.3
    SeaFields ........... 12.1 ..... 21.5 ..... -0.6 ..... 080 ..... 115 ..... 4.6
    dolanbaker ......... 11.9 ..... 18.5 ..... -2.5 ..... 120 ..... 075 ..... 2.5
    redsunset .......... 11.7 ..... 22.0 ..... -1.5 ..... 090 ..... 110 ..... 6.5
    gothwalk ........... 11.7 ..... 23.2 ..... +0.3 ..... 092 ..... 110 ..... 6.3
    The Inquisitor ..... 11.5 ..... 22.0 ..... -2.0 ..... 135 ..... 090 ..... 4.5

Welcome to our several new forecasters this month, and glad to see everyone back at it ...

... the consensus seems to be fairly close to normal, but with quite a spread in expectations.

DE was asking (in his entry) about the template, I didn't spot your question until now. I am quite happy with the way people are posting their forecasts, the template is there mainly to save me the step of transcribing the forecasts where it would be more work and also would introduce the element of a copying error. This way, I block copy everyone's templates and edit out the bits that don't appear above. So the closer you come to what you see above is great but I'm not worried about the bits of editing (I used to edit and typeset so this is second nature for me and I am one of those people who can find things on the keyboard without looking down much). The only way an error is going to creep in (from what you intend to what I present) is if I accidentally delete or add a keystroke and while that's not totally impossible I am sort of on the lookout for the few cases where it can happen, like with the minus signs in a month like September where some people have minus temps and some have positive. So check those sorts of things if you want, but I think this method gets everything into the table accurately. I am not using an excel program for this, I sort the entries by the mean temperature (as I'm sure everyone noticed) and then work out the consensus values the old-fashioned way (using medians to save myself the bother of calculating). It probably sounds like a huge amount of work now that we have 30-odd entrants instead of the former dozen or so, but I've done this in less than an hour tonight. If I was going back and forth making up a table from two open windows, it would take longer and I'd be sure to make mistakes and go bananas at some point. Well enough about this, good luck, and if anyone wanders in before end of today, I will add you to the list.

(if you really want to give me a clean template, check this random one out:

15.0 ..... 24.2 ..... -0.2 ..... 120 ..... 080 ..... 4.4

see there are decimals, zeroes and the five dots between each number, and no symbols that I have to delete, so that would save me even more time, but I don't expect people to become robots here so whatever works for you, works for me.)

I don't expect people to become robots here so whatever works for you, works for me.)

22.4 in Oak park yesterday, much milder feeling this morning so i expect we'll get over 23 today!

Apologies guys, I made a mistake in the rainfall figure for Oak Park in my previous post. Thel % of normal rainfall for the station is actually 95.8%, as oppossed to the 107% I had down yesterday. Was due to an formula error in Excel which distorted the 61-90 July average reading which in turn affected the figures for August for the station :o. All other station figures are sound though.

Updated charts, which show annual rainfall % up to August 31st at the 5 met stations in the 'IMT' zone. 2009 figures for the same period included for comparison:

126419.jpg

Station breakdown:
    126420.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yesterday it was 22.6c in Claremorris. Is this the Highest for the month so far at met stations? Was 23.1c in Sligo but I dont think that counts coz we dont have a Met Station.

• Advertisement

I think that I can safely say that my high temp prediction is way out! :eek:

Today isnt at all sunny in Casement

Oh Oh .

Mercy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

pauldry wrote: »
    Today isnt at all sunny in Casement

Oh Oh .

Mercy?

It was earlier so it's more than zero

Prob an hr at best.

Not on topic at all but great hurling final.

Back on topic weather looked sh#t

With the bonus questions I try to scale the scoring so that the better half to two-thirds of the entrants get some points. So it will probably be something like two scores of ten, two scores of nine etc ... and if Casement had less sunshine than anyone predicted, you can pretty much guess your score from that.

There was 1.8hrs of sun in Casement so wer not all shaged

But I am! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There was no sun on Hill 16 . . .:( Sliotars flying into the kilkenny goal like haistone at one point . . .:( and it rained for most of the match.

WolfeIRE and Nilhg will be scooping the ten points for sunshine as they came closest with 2.0 and 1.5 hours respectively. Good job there. If you want to find your own score, just take the next two closest for nine points, etc etc.

I think the mercy rule may be looming for rainfall already. :eek:

AFter the first seven days, the month has been above normal in every way.

Temperatures (IMT) have been running +1.9 on average and that leaves us at 15.4 C so far (that's the anomaly for these seven days, it would be +2.7 if it stayed this warm all month).

The heavy rainfalls of the past two days have given a very wet start, 266% of normal across the country. That does not include Knock, the wettest reporting station (they don't provide an anomaly in the ag-met table). If it failed to rain again this month, we are therefore guaranteed about 70% of normal (after today's additions). No doubt that figure will rise steadily.

Sunshine has been slightly above normal too, despite Belmullet's 80% figure, the national average has been 106%.

Temperatures (IMT) have been running +1.9 on average and that leaves us at 15.4 C so far (that's the anomaly for these seven days, it would be +2.7 if it stayed this warm all month).

Still on 15.4c, which as M.T notes, is well over 1.5c above average for first 3rd of September.

Graph charting mean up to midnight last:

127034.jpg

and at this stage last year, we were 2.2c cooler!

• Advertisement

A lot of cooler weather forecast for much of the rest of September will bring this value down into the 14s at least

Without a doubt it will be below 14.5 by the end of next week, then could be well down into the 13s by the 20th. But we shall see where it ends up.

A really warm day yesterday regards min temps n maxes werent bad either.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

This will nudge the monthly IMT up another few points

Came across this website too if any of you are interested. Its pretty handy

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/city.php3?c=IE&refer=

was going to put something like that on my own website.

A really warm day yesterday regards min temps n maxes werent bad either.

Warm enough to bring the IMT up to a current monthly value of 15.6c :eek:

IMT mean minima chart for the 2010 up to midnight 10th September, with values for 2009 thrown in for comparison:

127269.jpg

Running a bit cooler than this time last year, mostly due to the consistantly cool nights early in the year.

Current September IMT on 15.5c, a slight drop on yester's value but remaining significantly above average. Both mean maxima and mean minima are warmer than the 61-90 average for the period. I'd say it will be unlikly that this value will fall very much over the coming week but we'll see.

A quick look at the daily mean rainfall total over the IMT zone for the year 2010 up to midnight 11th September:

127354.jpg

The above chart represents the mean daily combined total for met eireann stations Casement, Claremorris, Oak Park, Shannon Apt and Mullingar.

It can certainly be seen that the 6th of September was by far the wettest day overall so far this year with a mean total of 39.52mm falling over the area, and which is significantly higher than the 2nd highest mean daily total of 21.92mm, which fell on the 10th July.

It is interesting to observe just how low the rainfall totals where on any particular day during the early (winter) part of the year. We had to wait until the last days of March to see anything above a 10mm mean daily fall!

Out of the 5 met eireann stations used in these stats, Mullingar is the proud holder of the highest midnight to midnight daily fall which equates to 59.6mm that fell on the 6th September. Claremorris is holding 2nd place with its daily fall of 55.5mm, which occurred on the 10th July.

IMR average daily rainfall total for period 1st January to 11th September:

2009: 2.86mm
    2010:
    2.21mm

All stats c/o Met Eireann

Last night was 7.6c in Claremorris as the nights begin to get cooler.

Still hasnt gone below 11c in Sligo and we nearly all have predicted near 0c :rolleyes:

Last night was 7.6c in Claremorris as the nights begin to get cooler.

Still hasnt gone below 11c in Sligo and we nearly all have predicted near 0c :rolleyes:

You'll have your zero soon enough.

I'm a bit late with this, but after 14 days, the IMT has stayed above 15 (I think it was 15.2 rounded) while rainfall has eased off a bit despite another above-average week (now at 202%) and sunshine remains a bit above normal after edging up this past week, now at 108% of normal. The 15th probably left all of these values a bit closer to normal but not a lot.

Rainfall can now finish no lower than normal even if the month stays totally dry now to 30th.

Models are predicting a dry end to the month at present so rain error may not be too severe but this all depends on Atlantic letting a High in from Scandiland so it may not happen and later models may predict a Low sweeping in off the Atlantic. So rain could be just above normal or WAY above. Now that I look at it was there much point to this post at all:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Models are predicting a dry end to the month at present so rain error may not be too severe but this all depends on Atlantic letting a High in from Scandiland so it may not happen and later models may predict a Low sweeping in off the Atlantic. So rain could be just above normal or WAY above. Now that I look at it was there much point to this post at all:rolleyes:

Lol paruldry your post sums up Irish weather completely. What you've said in your post is Anything can happen further than 36 hours out!

Advertisement