Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about non-payment of Direct Debit

Options
  • 27-08-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

'hope this makes sense..

I missed a direct debit payment from my personal account with AIB as my wages were a day late. When I checked my account online the dd appeared as €125 DR which I assumed meant I was overdrawn by €125 and AIB had cleared the payment. That was fine until I checked my account again today and the direct debit is no longer listed on my statement, but I have been charged €10 for non payment of Direct Debit.

To confuse matters further, my O2 account shows the payment as received on time etc.

Being a little naive, I didn't realise there would be a €10 charge and have withdrawn holiday money from my account, leaving just enough to pay the DD! :o

What I'm worried about now is more charges from AIB. €10 I can live with, but I'm sure they can get much more excessive than that??

Any info would be appreciated etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Banks will sometimes allow the direct debit to be paid even if there is no money in the account. Usually if its the first time happening.

They charge a fee in this case €10 and may also charge for unauthorised overdraft of a percentage of the amount overdrawn per day. Seems as it was only one day they may not charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Jet Black, thank you for the reply.

One thing I didn't make clear is that my account no longer has enough to clear the DD payment as they have charged me €10, but not taken the direct debit payment. Instead of taking the €115+, I'm guessing they have left that in my account so they can hit me with more charges..

I'll just lodge €50 on Monday and see what happens..

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Should be no more charges form aib, it has happened to me a a few times over the years. I have all my dd coming out of my cash save account so I can't be overdrawn. It takes the dd then re-credits it back. That's it.

If you lodge the money on Monday, you will have to pay your o2 bill in cash or call them and egt them to try your bank account again. If you don't they will probably cut you off, usually its 14 days before the2nd bill is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Thanks for the reply, wmpdd3.

My o2 account is cleared and paid on time according to o2online.

I think AIB have waited a day to take the dd payment + charge but I no longer have the funds for both. I now have just over €116 CR in my account. The DD I missed was €125.

It just seemed odd that they would allow me withdraw money which I basically owed to them. I assumed it was because of rip off charges they can hit me with.

Thanks for your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I know they've so many charges and fees:rolleyes: The €10 sound about right. Its €12.70 for me in Bank of Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement