Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike impounded did not realise license was out of date

• 27-08-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

My own fault - caught speeding 71k in 50k 3 lane first time pulled over in years - anyway thats not my issue.
    I have 2 licenses full 10 year driving for car and my provisional for bike somehow thought it was for 3 years - never checked it been in my wallet along with other license. Turns out it is a month out of date- yes i know stupid- so get pulled over and bike now impounded.
    It was my first provisional on bike 125cc what do I need to get new License ASAP - anyone advise cannot find anything on net.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland/#howtoapply

To re-new the license you just need the form filled out, 2 signed photos, your original now out of date license, and the fee. Take it all down to your nearest motor tax office on Monday so they can ensure it's all correct (also means you can pay by card/cash) and it'll be posted out to you by the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Go to your local tax office with your old licence, your car licence, 2 photos, the fee and a application form(you can get one at the tax office).

Tell them you need it ASAP, they might arrange for you to pick it up when its ready rather than post it out.

Can you get someone you know with a bike licence to get the bike out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Don't know anyone else with a full bike license- got the forms and photos tonight!
    It actually took them 2 kms to catch up due to traffic - could hear the sirens which was a good bit behind me but did not realise they were chasing me :eek: The garda was alright in the end - got a bit of bollicking which was probally deserved- was in shock when I saw my license was out of date though- the other cop car arriving with the paperwork with full sirens on was a bit OTT though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Don't know anyone else with a full bike license- got the forms and photos tonight!
    It actually took them 2 kms to catch up due to traffic - could hear the sirens which was a good bit behind me but did not realise they were chasing me :eek: The garda was alright in the end - got a bit of bollicking which was probally deserved- was in shock when I saw my license was out of date though- the other cop car arriving with the paperwork with full sirens on was a bit OTT though!!

Where is your bike ? Dublin or Kildare ?
    The fees will keep mounting up until its collected.
    If you need someone to collect it, send me a PM.

Bike back all pretty much sorted €195 worse off with proballe fine still to come :( Many thanks to look behind you for offer to pick up bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

why did they impound your bike?? surely it couldn't be for licence only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

why did they impound your bike?? surely it couldn't be for licence only?

The Garda could hardly allow him to proceed in the absence of a licence:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

expect a summons for driving with out a driving licence.. get a new one quickish and present to the garda station as you were probably given a demand to produce one within 10days
    if you dont produce one, you;ll be getting additional summons' for failing to produce

Rosahane wrote: »
    The Garda could hardly allow him to proceed in the absence of a licence:o

normally, yes they would. your insurance is based on whether you hold, or have held, a licence. I find it hard to believe that the cops would impound a vehicle for a licence that is expired for one month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

normally, yes they would. your insurance is based on whether you hold, or have held, a licence. I find it hard to believe that the cops would impound a vehicle for a licence that is expired for one month.
    Your insurance is only there provided you have a valid licence. If the Ops licence is out of date, it is not valid. therefor no insurance.

Also even though the Op had a licence although expired, unless in date, it is the same as driving without a licence as far as the law is concerned(you have a valid licence or you don't, any leeway is at Garda discretion).

**** circumstance to be in, but I'm sure given the situation the Gard's would probably let him off with producing and paying to get the bike back from the impound yard.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    Your insurance is only there provided you have a valid licence. If the Ops licence is out of date, it is not valid. therefor no insurance.

sorry, don't agree, while you are breaking the law by not having a current licence, and can be prosecuted for same, if you read the small print on your insurance, you are covered if you hold or have held a driving licence for the respective vehicle.

I still find it hard to believe that the Gardai would confiscate a bike for an expired licence only

sorry, don't agree, while you are breaking the law by not having a current licence, and can be prosecuted for same, if you read the small print on your insurance, you are covered if you hold or have held a driving licence for the respective vehicle.

I still find it hard to believe that the Gardai would confiscate a bike for an expired licence only

Bike was impounded for having an out of date license, I was initially pulled over for being 15km over speed limit it is 50km part on a dual carriageway - I got that fine in the post on friday so another €80!!
    It happened on a friday evening and was all sorted by 10.15am monday morning when I got my new license and brought my insurance etc to Garda station. An expensive evening :o

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Bike was impounded for having an out of date license, I was initially pulled over for being 15km over speed limit it is 50km part on a dual carriageway - I got that fine in the post on friday so another €80!!
    It happened on a friday evening and was all sorted by 10.15am monday morning when I got my new license and brought my insurance etc to Garda station. An expensive evening :o

That's tough, you must have got a right bas***d of a cop.

I was stopped in Wexford a couple of years ago, asked to produce licence and ins, licence was 18months expired!!!. Phoned the cop in wexford and explained that I didn't realise it was expired, he told me not to worry, he wasn't bothered about licence once the bike was insured. I was doing about 80kmph in a 50kmph zone, never heard anything about it since......decent cop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Sorry, don;t agree. Have you ever tried to claim off your insurance for a write off or anything expensive? It's horrible, Something tells me, you not having a vcalid licence at the time is just NOT gonna cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Had a look at Quinn's policy document since I was pretty sure you'd be uninsured, but BB98 does seem to be right. You're still insured if your licence has expired as long as you're not disqualified from holding or applying for one (ie driving ban). Here's the wording:

"We will not cover the rider unless they hold a licence to ride
    the motorcycle, or have held and are not disqualified from
    holding or getting a licence"

I think it might be that the Gardai are tightening up and being stricter on licenses. I got a reminder letter from Quinn a few months ago that I must be properly licensed to ride my bike (It's over the limit for beginners) and got pulled in a few weeks ago by a bike specific checkpoint at lower Clanbrassil St. They scrutinised my licence very closely to check that the 2 year post-drivng test had passed as well as checking tax, insurance etc.

Police in other jurisdictions routinely impound for licence/insurance issues, i think we're just used to the Gardai going easy here...

Advertisement