Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holidaying alone

• 27-08-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

I have the time and the money to take an extended holiday shortly.
    My friends either aren't interested in going or can't go.
    So I'm thinking of going alone.
    I'm very excited at the thoughts of it but I also realise that I'll probably feel lonely at times.

Has anyone ever holidayed alone?
    What was your experience?
    What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm going to the States for 2 weeks by myself in October, absolutely cant wait for it. Im going by myself for 3 reasons:

1. newly single (well 2 months, but still)
    2. always wanted to do it
    3. My friends, bless em, are more inclined to do the standard 2 weeks on a sh1tty Spanish beach doing the same old "irish bar, irish food, irish everything" comfort zone holiday.

so off on my own I trot, wheeeee! \:D/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I wouldn't mind myself and that's coming from a young lad :p

Would rather the Spanish setting rather than an American one though if I was going on my own but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

krudler wrote: »
    3. My friends, bless em, are more inclined to do the standard 2 weeks on a sh1tty Spanish beach doing the same old "irish bar, irish food, irish everything" comfort zone holiday.

Ditto! But I'm nearly 4 months single.

Do you think people will think you're odd for traveling alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

People will think your odd if there is any minor change to the usual.

If you want to do it so be it and don't mind what anyone else thinks.

I will do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

It's my dream to go to america so if i had the chance i'd go :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Cons for me: Eating out alone, not being able to take any pictures of myself on the holiday :o and having nobody to have any holiday memories with like "ha, remember that fella on the subway that.."

However, saying that, I would not mind travelling alone. There are some places I would like to see that none of my friends/family would be interested in going to and I am certainly not going to miss out on the experience for want of a companion. I would also definitely prefer going away alone than with a group of girls, some of whom I don't really like OR going somewhere I didn't really have in mind for my holiday destination just to please someone else.

Pros for me: Being able to get up early and go sightseeing when I like, being able to have a lazy day not doing much if I want to, spending loads of time in a museum with nobody looking at their watch complaining we're not at the beach 'getting some rays' and being able to relax in the hotel bath with a book without being hurried off to a club/bar or getting told "sure you could do that at home."

Pros outweigh the cons for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Probably, but while they're sitting at home worrying about what other people think I'll be in Vegas \:D/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭peggie

did it, loved it.
    i kinda cheated in a way though as i went to a place i had been many times
    but still i loved it, to be onest until i met the man in my life i never really liked travelling with people as found it a bit of pressure to keep everyone happy, with him its easier as we're very compatible and easy going, but if i was single in the morning i'd def head off again to gain perspective and distance from the 'real world'
    good luck and do think about safety- you are precious!
    peg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

I'm going to the States for 2 weeks by myself in October, absolutely cant wait for it. Im going by myself for 3 reasons:

2. always wanted to do it

so off on my own I trot, wheeeee! \:D/

+1 enjoy
    some fab places to explore and see not to mention the food.
    As for what other people think, that makes absolutely no sense to me.
    'Other people' are not going on hols with you, 'other people' are not you,
    'other people' dont pay your bills and put food on your table. 'other people' will not live your life. Get out there and have a ball that only you can experience and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

I've done it a few times, and I love the independence of doing what I want when I want (sounds selfish, I know but hey it's my holiday!!).

I've done the organised tour (especially for single travellers) which was great fun, weekends in cities where I got the guide book and did my own thing, and the few days soaking up sun for a winter recharger!

I bring a diary/journal with me especially on a touring holiday and write in it each day as if I'm telling someone about my trip - it's a great memory aid!

Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Been there, done that, and loved it! :D Spent a few weeks travelling around eastern Canada on my lonesome nearly a year back and it was great! Planning to head away on another solo trip soon, can't wait!

I'm in early / mid twenties and it's only in the last year or two that friends have become unavailable as travel buddies (no getting them away from their boyfriends :rolleyes:) and although it can be a bit scary taking off on your own, think about it like this - do you want to wake up one day regretting that you didnt see more of the world because you were afraid to go solo?:) That's my way of dealing with the few nerves anyway!

p.s. re people thinking you look odd on your own, I guarantee you they won't and even if they do, f**k them, you never have to see them again. Also re photos, most ppl will be happy to take a photo for you, don't hesitate to ask. And - final point - because I went solo I kind of treasure the holiday a little bit more. Every time I think of it or look at photos I get a little burst of pride and self confidence that I wouldnt have got had someone been with me.

Go for it OP, you'll have a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Personally I wouldn't enjoy travelling alone, purely because of the safety element. I know several people who have and thoroughly enjoyed it. If it's something you would like then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

gipi wrote: »
    I've done the organised tour (especially for single travellers) which was great fun, weekends in cities where I got the guide book and did my own thing, and the few days soaking up sun for a winter recharger!

Go for it!

Just wondering what company you used for the organised tour for single travellers??

Did a bit of travelling alone in Australia and loved it during the days, but found at night that it was kinda lonely as I didn't want to sit alone in a bar or even be looking for taxi's or walking back to hostel alone, how have others overcome this??

Thanks for all the replies.
    Posy wrote: »
    Cons for me: Eating out alone, not being able to take any pictures of myself on the holiday :o and having nobody to have any holiday memories with

I'm not worried about my safety - but I don't want loneliness to spoil a dream trip.
    I'm definitely going to go - I might never get the chance again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not worried about my safety - but I don't want loneliness to spoil a dream trip.
    Best of luck, hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

I have the time and the money to take an extended holiday shortly.
    My friends either aren't interested in going or can't go.
    So I'm thinking of going alone.
    I'm very excited at the thoughts of it but I also realise that I'll probably feel lonely at times.

Has anyone ever holidayed alone?
    What was your experience?
    What are your thoughts?

Go for it. Im sure it will be amazing :). I wish I had the guts to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Sounds great, fair play to you being so gutsy. There are loads of websites out there to guide people taking trips on their own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good luck! And remember I did have more pros than cons! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My brother spent 16 months travelling around Asia on his jack. Left when he was 24 I think.. When he came back to Ireland he saved up and then spent 12 months traveling around South America. He is the most disorganised, impulsive and careless person ever so my folks were worried sick but he always falls on his feet. He met random people over there that he travelled with for a while and the locals loved him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Spent few weeks in Asia on my own. I did feel pushed to my limit once or twice, but overall a very positive experience. And as sadhbhc15 said, I feel so proud of myself for doing it too!

Research where you're going, make sure there's plenty to keep you busy. One place I went was ridiculously quiet and for a solo traveller it wasn't great.

Have plenty of reading material with you... I once finished the only book I had with me with 5 hours still left on the train :(

Be extra safe!! It's crappy but us girls have to be more careful!!

lily lou wrote: »
    found at night that it was kinda lonely as I didn't want to sit alone in a bar or even be looking for taxi's or walking back to hostel alone, how have others overcome this??

Lily I would often go to a bar with a book so i could sit and chill, more than half the time would end up chatting with someone.
    Hostels often have good communal areas which are good to meet people too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

lily lou wrote: »
    Just wondering what company you used for the organised tour for single travellers??

Did a bit of travelling alone in Australia and loved it during the days, but found at night that it was kinda lonely as I didn't want to sit alone in a bar or even be looking for taxi's or walking back to hostel alone, how have others overcome this??

lily lou,

I went with www.justyou.co.uk to Austria. The age range on the single holiday was from late 20s to 80s (and the lady who was 80-something was first into and last out of the bar most nights!!!). I'm about to go on another tour with their sister company Travelsphere, although it's not specifically for single travellers, I am going alone.

No connection to either company other than as a happy customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cool user name :D

My dad travelled on his own and meet people along the way some of these people are life long friends now.

I travelled alone meet people I'm not that odd except that one time i woke up in a comfortable due to drinking stupid amounts of tequilia In Nice...

But I think that people who go on hoilers alone have more fun then people with other people you get to do what you want and theres always people to talk to even if there like tripple your age.. I used to sit and watch old people play that bowling game on the grass and random chats with people was cool ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'll be going on holidays later this year along. Not sure if I can answer whether I am odd or not though...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I spent a year travelling around Australia by myself - each time I would rock up to whatever city (Perth, Sydney, Launceston, Brisbane), and after a couple of weeks of wandering about, would find a job and new drinking buddies/relatives to hang about with. It was absolutely fantastic way of doing things, I could call the shots myself and not have to go with a group consensus.

With shorter holidays, I do usually end up not going alone for budgetary purposes, but I've managed to arrange or finagle a way for me to spend at least some of it alone:

Paris - went with 3 cousins, they wrecked my head on day 3, so they went off doing their thing for 2 days and I did mine, and we met up in the mornings for coffee and chat.

Amsterdam - went with my best friend, but it might as well have been on my own because she was so laid back she might as well have been lying down. She handed me the guidebook and said work away, I'll be behind you. Off my face.

I think I will end up going away on my own again soon. My boyfriend is working on renovating his house at the moment, so hasn't the funds nor the inclination to go rabbiting off on holidays - whereas I get a bit antsy if I don't get away from everyone else for a while fairly regular. I'd be happy with 2 days in West Cork!

Either way, it's immensely rewarding, and an amazing boost to your self-image. I say go for it, and be proud of being on your own! It's much easier to slip into different experiences, groups if there's just yourself I think :D

Have fun!

Flights booked and I'm raring to go!
    1 short city break for this year.
    2 longer trips for next year that are to my dream destinations.

I can't tell my parents that I'll be traveling alone because they'll be worried sick about me when I'm gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

I would definitely prefer to go with someone, whether it be friends or boyfriend becasue of the safety element but tbh if i knew i was going to be safe id download a few of the ray d'arcy show podcasts and head off with headphones in my ear, a good book on my arm and politely ask a nice strong man on my flight for his help in putting my bag up and taking it down from overhead cabin, sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Flights booked and I'm raring to go!
    1 short city break for this year.
    2 longer trips for next year that are to my dream destinations.

I can't tell my parents that I'll be traveling alone because they'll be worried sick about me when I'm gone!

My advice would be to tell your parents but if not then at least tell somebody close/related that you'll be on your own. Not just for your own safety but emergencies can happen at home while your gone and the last thing anyone needs is to be in a panic trying to contact someone who's travelling and not having a clue where they are....

enjoy it though....travelling on your own is great! Check out the travel forum if you need advice etc....also there's a company called intrepid that I did a trip with earlier this year which is good if you want to travel but still want to be in a group. Making your way completely on your own is far better imo though!

kiwi123 wrote: »
    if i knew i was going to be safe id download a few of the ray d'arcy show podcasts and head off with headphones in my ear

Listening to Ray D'arcy would ruin a perfectly good trip for me!
    As I said before - the safety element of traveling doesn't bother me at all.

I'll tell my parents that I'm holidaying - but not that I'm holidaying alone.
    They would think I'm odd and worry like mad. I'd have to be in touch with them constantly to keep them calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

I love this idea!!! I would love to go on holiday on my own! The first place I would go is Paris and really enjoy it this time (been before with a boyfriend..wasn't fun!)

Go for it!! I know the minute all my friends decide they don't want to go on holidays any more ill be off on my own without a second thought..!

Brest of Luck with it! Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Im just back from a weeks holiday alone. I cheated slightly in that I knew people in the area so I had a couple of nights & lunches with people, but i was on my own about 70-80% of the time.

PROS:
    - do what you want when you want
    - noone else to worry about
    - good way to meet new people

CONS:
    - can be a bit lonely depending on your mood
    - some things are better with another person

Eating out alone doesnt really bother me, just bring a book. What CAN be annoying is when you ask for a table for one and you get "Just one? Just YOU?!? :confused:". yes thanks, make me feel good for being alone :rolleyes:

but overall, its good, and it means you can go whenever you want and not have to be checking other peoples holiday days etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Probably, but while they're sitting at home worrying about what other people think I'll be in Vegas \:D/

Absolutely right krud!! Go for it. I've done it a few times well.... about 3 times.You'll always meet nice people who'll take a snap for you

Advertisement