Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

01 Transit van/camper converted

• 27-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi in ireland ya have to have min head height of 1.8m in the sleeping quarters, must be to stop ya entering public car parks or something like that, so i've falling into this sting, need it get camper tax 80 euro a yr, and to have it properly insured i've converted a 01 transit and after all the hard work its been turned down as a camper because its falling short of 4" to meet requirements, so just wondering whats the quickest and cheapest way out of this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Nice Job, can you lower the floor at all....

If you don't get the camper tax can't you just tax it at as a commercial. Ok it is move expensive but are you going to get hit with VRT when you change it over to a camper, if you are you need to consider that against the camper tax rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you can still register it as a camper but will get hit for 36% open market value for the VRT.

Is it a high top van or a medium height? Where did they measure it. Also you can go to a different VRT office or ask for somebody else in the same office to look at it. I was 1 cm short at the back of the van but I got a different lady in the VRT office to look at it.

Which office did you go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi in ireland ya have to have min head height of 1.8m in the sleeping quarters, must be to stop ya entering public car parks or something like that, so i've falling into this sting, need it get camper tax 80 euro a yr, and to have it properly insured i've converted a 01 transit and after all the hard work its been turned down as a camper because its falling short of 4" to meet requirements, so just wondering whats the quickest and cheapest way out of this

With the older transit you could bolt on the high roof instead of the medium roof and sikaflex the joint I think yours is welded. You could cut the existing roof off and weld on the top section of a high roof transit. It may even be possible to do it neatly by drilling out the spot welds and plug welding it on. The join can be hidden extarnally in the gutter and covered with sikaflex.

Your simplest soltion may be to get a high roof van though. You could put a couple of seats in the back and a ply bulkhead and sell it as a crewcab might make a few extra bob that way, not sure what the market for crewcabs is now though with the green party rattling their sabres.

If you do decide to replace the roof it might be useful to get a white or silver one as all that blue paint will turn your van into a sauna on a sunny day.

Advertisement