Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon Coolpix P50 High-ISO mode: undoing it?

• 27-08-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I have some photos that were inadvertently taken in high-ISO mode on my P50. As they were in daylight, they're rather blue and washed-out looking.

Is there anything I can do after the fact to "normalise" these pictures?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

possibly.post some samples!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Thanks, punchdrunk.

Attached are two samples of what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

4933322754_ebc231315d.jpg
    DSCN5924 copy by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

yes not the end of the world there,definitely salvageable!
    i'd do it for you now only im half asleep!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    4933322754_ebc231315d.jpg
    DSCN5924 copy by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

yup! just like that! :D

• Advertisement

Yowzer! Perfect!

Now, how to do it? I have GIMP, and friends of mine have between them Photoshop (bought last year) and Fireworks (CS3, I think)...

Is this something GIMP can handle? I'm forever snapping pics like that, not noticing how the mode dial is set :(

Appreciate the help!

pdebarra wrote: »
    Yowzer! Perfect!

Now, how to do it? I have GIMP, and friends of mine have between them Photoshop (bought last year) and Fireworks (CS3, I think)...

Is this something GIMP can handle? I'm forever snapping pics like that, not noticing how the mode dial is set :(

Appreciate the help!

I used Photoshop CS5 > went to Adjustments > colour balance.
    I am sure Gimp will do it for you ok.
    It appears that your "white balance" was set to tungsten which accounts for the blueness.
    Cheers, John

Not having much luck with GIMP, although that may well be my lack of expertise rather than the software itself.

The auto-correction doesn't do it, so I've been playing with Levels (under "Colors"), trying to pick white, black and grey points. No luck at all, unfortunately.

Thanks for advice and assistance, guys.

In fact, when I select a bit of grey sky or sea, I get a bright yellow (sometimes pink) image.

Click on the photo I adjusted and download it from my Flickr page and save it for yourself, here >http://www.flickr.com/photos/8632585@N06/4933322754/ Good luck,
    John

• Advertisement

Will grab that one, and thank you for your help.

Time to track down that Photoshop-owning friend!

OK, I've made some progress with GIMP.

See attached before and after. Is this as good as I'm likely to get, or is it worth persevering? Bear in mind that both sky and sea were rather grey, as in grey.jpg, attached.

Ah, maybe I'll make more sense of it in the morning!

4933861691_007268d54e_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the main problem isn't the high iso, it's the terrible white balance that's going on but any image editing software can help. here's what i did in 30 seconds in adobe lightroom

Advertisement