Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Waterford Streets Past and Present" by Daniel Dowling (1998)

• 27-08-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Anyone knows where to buy that book?
    No chance at amazon, ebay or adverts. And Bookcentre is closed now :)

Why is Mayor's Walk named this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I'd say its out of print now mate, you'd be lucky to pick up a copy somewhere

The Library have a copy alright - its in the reference room i think

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

My recollection of the origin in the name Mayor's Walk is that it was a street or path outside the city walls and that it was a favourite exercise walk for the city mayor(s) in medieval times.

I suppose that if you asked Jack Burchall, the walking tour guide, he would be delighted to give you the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

beazee wrote: »
    Anyone knows where to buy that book?
    No chance at amazon, ebay or adverts. And Bookcentre is closed now :)

Why is Mayor's Walk named this way?

Waterford Museum of Treasures Would be worth a look !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Wow! Thanks a lot.
    Library and Museum of Treasures first thing in the morning.
    As to walking tours - I want to b prepared, thus the book.

@silverado
    That actually makes sense, thx!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Heya, I actually have that book myself, bought it in the Granary/Museum a good few years back.

Just looked up mayor's walk for you there, and it says "This street more than likely derived it's name from David Lewis who was mayor of the city when it was laid out in 1711, partly on ground which he himself held by lease from the Corporation. Included in that was the rampart ground. David Lewis was also Mayor in the years 1705, 1707-8 and 1710. As a roadway this street was finally completed in 1727 during the mayoralty of Simon Newport".

if you want any more info let me know and I'll type it up for you here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Lads is it true that there was a lane called duck sh*t lane and if so where was it?

Advertisement